Darkening / greying / blackening stainless clips

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bolster

Darkening / greying / blackening stainless clips

Post by Bolster »

I searched the forum for advice on how to darken/grey/blacken a stainless clip, but the search function would throw out the words “clip” and “dark” (too common). Found three threads below, but none of them arrive at a very satisfactory method. Any recent updates to darkening/greying/blacking a SS clip?

- Paint would look scraggy and chippy after a bit.
- Don’t want to “flame” the clip for fear of losing the clip’s temper.
- Liquid gun blue - does it work on stainless steel?
- Does black oxide treatment work on stainless steel?
- Acid - does it make the clip “toothy” and difficult to draw from pocket?
- If acid, what sort? Ferric chloride?

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=78837&p=1224300
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10638&p=10638
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85533&p=1384571

Anybody have photos of self-made darkened/blackened clips?
Last edited by Bolster on Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StuntZombie

Re: Darkening/greying/blackening stainless clips

Post by StuntZombie »

I completely sanded the paint off a Delica clip and dipped it in some muriatic acid. It definitely darkened it a bit, but I don't know that it made it any harder to remove from the pocket.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
vivi

Post by vivi »

I can try ferric chloride on a clip tonight and report back. been meaning to do that to my modded manix.
:unicorn
JonesE

Post by JonesE »

I have used ferric acid to turn the shiny clips a mat gray color. I have also sanded off the paint on a well worn clip and dipped it in ferric acid and got the same effect. I have not noticed any difference is the clip being harder to draw from the pocket.

JonesE
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Strip the paint off a titanium clip from one of the salts, and use it.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

vivi wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:05 pm
I can try ferric chloride on a clip tonight and report back. been meaning to do that to my modded manix.

Cool, thanks. This is the Beetlejuice straight spine Manix, right? Where did you find ferric chloride?
vivi

Post by vivi »

Bolster wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:31 pm
vivi wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:05 pm

Cool, thanks. This is the Beetlejuice straight spine Manix, right? Where did you find ferric chloride?
Yep.

I posted in a discussion forum for the nearest major city asking where I could buy some, and someone replied saying they had some I could have. Still not sure where to buy it besides online knifemaker shops.
:unicorn
TenGrainBread

Post by TenGrainBread »

I have some black oxide solution specifically made for stainless steel made by a local company called EPI, in Wisconsin. It was designed for architectural purposes but works well on small parts.
I_like_knives

Post by I_like_knives »

Not quite sure if it's what you're after, but if you have access bead/sand blaster it will take the shine off. And I guess it sort of "greys" it to a small degree.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

TenGrain: That sounds ideal. Have you treated any SS with it, can I see what it looks like? (Ten's link if you want to see the product line: https://www.epi.com/black-oxide)

I_Like: Yes, that's my backup plan. I have a tumbler and ceramic media that does a nice stonewash. But would like to get it darker if possible.
Holland

Post by Holland »

stone washing also works well from my experience
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Nick D. Fingerz

Post by Nick D. Fingerz »

Nitric acid will turn stainless steel black. Read up on safety regarding use.
TenGrainBread

Post by TenGrainBread »

Bolster wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:58 pm
TenGrain: That sounds ideal. Have you treated any SS with it, can I see what it looks like? (Ten's link if you want to see the product line: https://www.epi.com/black-oxide)
I have some I ordered a while back for some bicycle parts I fabricate but haven't used it yet.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

The painted stainless clips already have what looks like an acid etch under the paint. It’s a dull gray color. A few hours soaked in lacquer thinner will cleanly remove the paint without affecting the metal.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Not exactly blackened, but one of my favorite things to do with shiny clips is acid etch them with ferric chloride the same as you'd do to stonewash them, but don't rock tumbler them and let the clip get scratched and wear over time naturally. If scratched bother you this is probably not for you but I loved it and it does help to subdue the clip a little.

Also not all "painted black clips" are the same. The current Military uses a different coating that's more like DLC (may even be?) And while it does still scratch it doesn't scratch all the way through to the steel as easily and it hides wear really well and doesn't chip off like the old painted clips did.

This is my 52100 sprint and it's seen a lot of pocket time but you wouldn't know it from the clip.

I'm not sure what other standard clip hole pattern clips use this same coating though. I don't know why they'd use a different coating for the Military and not a Para 2.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:42 am
Not exactly blackened, but one of my favorite things to do with shiny clips is acid etch them with ferric chloride the same as you'd do to stonewash them...

Thanks for photos. The Manix clip looks really good, it's a nice dull grey, which is not nearly as attention-getting. Off topic, I suspect a powder coat would be somewhere between paint and DLC in terms of wear resistance, but the idea of shiny bits of SS showing wherever scratches occur, isn't ideal.

PS: Where did you source your ferric chloride?
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Evil D wrote: ...

I'm not sure what other standard clip hole pattern clips use this same coating though. I don't know why they'd use a different coating for the Military and not a Para 2.
They did use the same coating for the para 2, or at least I think they did. I have the 52100 pm2 and the black clip on it definitely has the coating that resist wear and scratches much more than other black spoon clips (Seki).

I have seen at least 3 different black clip coatings.

Theres the "standard" Seki black coating. The one that starts wearing off almost immediately. Which I actually like because I like things that show wear.

Then theres what the last run of pacific salt 1s got. Whatever they coated the lockbar with they seem to have given the same treatment to the clip. Its more of a flat black. It will still scratch and wear but not as much as the standard Seki clip coating. Im not sure what other knives have gotten this clip treatment.

Then theres whatever Golden uses for its black clips. The coating looks similar to the standard Seki clip coating but it seems to hold up to scratches and chipping off much better. My 52100 pm2 and dlc m4 shaman (I think the shaman is the same) and military (I think) have this clip treatment.

My 52100 pm2 has seen a lot of use and carry, but the clip shows very little wear. Conversely, my police 4 lightweight with the standard Seki coating, shows scratches/paint coming off just from being carried and set down on counters or whatever after just a few times.

I personally like things that show wear. I have been curious about the different clip coatings for a while though.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Bolster wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:18 am
Evil D wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:42 am
Not exactly blackened, but one of my favorite things to do with shiny clips is acid etch them with ferric chloride the same as you'd do to stonewash them...

Thanks for photos. The Manix clip looks really good, it's a nice dull grey, which is not nearly as attention-getting. Off topic, I suspect a powder coat would be somewhere between paint and DLC in terms of wear resistance, but the idea of shiny bits of SS showing wherever scratches occur, isn't ideal.

PS: Where did you source your ferric chloride?

I got mine at RadioShack before they went under. I'd think any good electronics store would have it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Silly me, Amazon will sell F.C. to me in a whole range of sizes.

So, having not done this before: Soak clip in F.C. for ___ minutes and then throw it in the tumbler with ceramic media for ___ minutes, something like that?

(The Insta-Blak looks good but was ~$50 and required a heating solution, guessing a crock pot, which I don't have.)
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Bolster wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:38 pm
Silly me, Amazon will sell F.C. to me in a whole range of sizes.

So, having not done this before: Soak clip in F.C. for ___ minutes and then throw it in the tumbler with ceramic media for ___ minutes, something like that?

(The Insta-Blak looks good but was ~$50 and required a heating solution, guessing a crock pot, which I don't have.)
Insta-Blak instructions said that the coating can go on at room temperature. However, their recommended cleaning mixture requires warm/hottish water. Still, ~$50 for a few clips seems high.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001