Spyder Classics: The Lum C-46 Tanto Folder

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Spyder Classics: The Lum C-46 Tanto Folder

Post by JD Spydo »

Before I got my very first Spyderco C-46 Lum Tanto folder some 16 years ago I had never ever liked Tanto design blades much at all. I did have a Cold Steel Kobun in the early going that I used to cut up watermelon with but that was about the only use I had for it. I didn't really want to get the C-46 Lum at first but I got my first one in a good two knife trade back in the day.

When I got it I was immediately surprised at how functional Bob Lum's tanto blade was. It was truly a "day & night" difference compared to most other tanto blades I ever tried. I even have gotten to like my C-46 Lum Tanto folder so much that I now have one in my "user rotation". And I do carry it on special occasions and get compliments on it too.

In this series of Spyderco classic models I want to let many of you know what amazing models Spyderco had in the early going that set them apart from most other commercial knife companies. The C-46 Lum Tanto folder has become an icon among many of their classic models. Not to mention that model has a really nice handle too. It was also available in at least 4 different variants and I don't know of any others that offered that many. I know I'm not the only one that appreciates the C-46 Lum Tanto folder so let's talk about it :)
Freediver

Re: Spyder Classics: The Lum C-46 Tanto Folder

Post by Freediver »

Bob Lum was a legend. His iconic Tanto blade has been imitated by many but never done as well as his. Sadly Sal mentioned that it would probably never be made again.

I almost bought a Blade HQ Tanto PM2 to make up for the fact that I foolishly sold my grey vg10 sprint but ended up not going for it.

Lum’s tanto was both beautiful and functional. I really hope Spyderco reconsiders bringing it back someday.
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

This is my favorite Spyderco. The thumb hole looks like Mt. Fuji.
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Ti framelock, please!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

The Benchmade lfti and the Spyderco lum folder are probably the prettiest tantos
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:57 am
Ti framelock, please!
They did have a Titanium version of the C-46. IT was one I sold when I had bad medical expenses a few years back. Needless to say it made me sad :( But the one in my "user rotation" is the ATS-55 black bladed, CE version with the G-10 handle. And on occasions when I use it I really enjoy it.

Not sure what the legal status is with Spyderco making any more Sprint Runs of Bob Lum's designs. I heard a few years back that his widow controlled a lot of his designs and what companies can use them. But I hope the C-46 is not permanently in the history books.

Spyderco really moved up to another level when the C-46 and about 3 other models during that time were in the main line up.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Dodge wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:43 am
Dodge I truly think I remember you saying something along those lines years ago :) . I think it was when my big Hawkbill thread was going :D . I just pulled up that old thread a couple of days ago ( Now's The Time: For A New Hawkbill) just so you know which one I'm talking about. I went through that old thread the other day and seen that you posted on it back in 2005 I think it was :cool: .

But during that time slot both of those early Bob Lum models were very coveted models indeed. And Bob Lum's fixed blade design was awesome too with it's own unique features.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:08 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:
Ti framelock, please!
They did have a Titanium version of the C-46. IT was one I sold when I had bad medical expenses a few years back. Needless to say it made me sad :( But the one in my "user rotation" is the ATS-55 black bladed, CE version with the G-10 handle. And on occasions when I use it I really enjoy it.

Not sure what the legal status is with Spyderco making any more Sprint Runs of Bob Lum's designs. I heard a few years back that his widow controlled a lot of his designs and what companies can use them. But I hope the C-46 is not permanently in the history books.

Spyderco really moved up to another level when the C-46 and about 3 other models during that time were in the main line up.
Freediver mentioned it also, but after the whole dilemma with the BladeHQ exclusive Lum Tanto, Sal did say that Spyderco probably would not make any more Lum Tantos.

It was said in this thread - "Bob Lum All Rounder ... a Spyderco version?"

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=87823&p=1459982&hil ... o#p1459982
-Nick :bug-red
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

The Lum Tanto is legend. There was of course the recent HAP40 exclusive in natural G10 that clearly had some CQI touches over the previous gray sprint shown below (with the far less elegant PM2 Tanto). IIRC the Ti version still had a SS linerlock (with Ti scales) and wasn’t a true framelock, so perhaps there’s some hope to see one someday still (although I’d admit the Taichung factory could probably pull it off better).

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:10 pm
Dodge wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:43 am
Dodge I truly think I remember you saying something along those lines years ago :) . I think it was when my big Hawkbill thread was going :D . I just pulled up that old thread a couple of days ago ( Now's The Time: For A New Hawkbill) just so you know which one I'm talking about. I went through that old thread the other day and seen that you posted on it back in 2005 I think it was :cool: .

But during that time slot both of those early Bob Lum models were very coveted models indeed. And Bob Lum's fixed blade design was awesome too with it's own unique features.

Well after all these years it still rings true! All three of mine will be passed down if they aren't buried with me!

Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sumdumguy wrote:
Ti framelock, please!

Yea, I have come close to buying one a few times.

But, if I have to have a liner style lock, I prefer a frame lock. That is my only complaint about the C46.

A Ti frame lock version would make it one of my all time favorite knives. I'd probably buy two(especially if the offered a PE & CE version).
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:48 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Sumdumguy wrote:
Ti framelock, please!

Yea, I have come close to buying one a few times.

But, if I have to have a liner style lock, I prefer a frame lock. That is my only complaint about the C46.

A Ti frame lock version would make it one of my all time favorite knives. I'd probably buy two(especially if the offered a PE & CE version).
I understand where you're coming from. But with all the talk about every locking system that Spyderco has used over the years I've yet to have any of them ever fail on me. And Lord knows I've put some of my folders and fixed blades through some pretty bad abuse at times.
I've been EDCing an M390 Military model which has a liner lock which most knife purists seem to highly dislike>> but yet in the 4 hard years I've used that knife I've never had that lock or any other Spyderco lock ever fail on me. But this could just be a "Ford verses Chevy" type of a disagreement. But in all fairness we all do have our favorites in every category.
Danke

Post by Danke »

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Thanks for sharing that with us Danke. I missed out on that Sprint Run unfortunately. The one in my user rotation now has some noticeable wear & tear but it's still so nice looking that I get compliments on it when I do carry it or show it to friends.

And like some of the others have said Bob Lum's tanto blade was truly functional and not just pretty to look at. I also love how solid it feels when I am working with it. It meets all the qualifications to be labeled a CLASSIC model
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

San
Attachments
BD7AB7DE-299E-4D4A-ABD2-F8F689BA04A7.jpeg

Freediver

Post by Freediver »

Dodge wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:06 pm
San
Amazing! I am truly jealous.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

The Lum Tanto Folder is on my list eventually.
I do love that swedge on the Pm2 tanto and it would bring the Lum design to the next level, imo. Similar to the fixed blade!
Actually, I now wonder if there is a specific reason it’s not present on the folder?
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Reject

Post by Reject »

How much can a Koala bear?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Reject wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:16 pm
Also I've found that the C-46 Lum Tanto folder is one of Spyderco's ideal models for a combo edge. I don't think combo edges are good for every knife at all. But for the Lum C-46 Tanto it makes a very useful, practical blade.

Also sharpening the Hamiguri ( appleseed) grind on the end of the Lum Tanto is a bit tricky to get it right,. But with some patience, time and effort you can get it razor sharp. And when you get the Hamiguri grind really sharp it just makes that blade a lot more useful.

I had wanted to buy a custom of this model from Bob Lum before he passed. I met him at one of the BLADE shows and he was a great guy to chat with. I regret not pulling the trigger earlier.
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

JD, that would be a treasure for sure! Don’t see many on the secondary market.