The illustrious vertical thumb ramp, why...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Re: The illustrious vertical thumb ramp, why...

Post by JD Spydo »

I'm probably in the minority because I'm one of the very few that actually miss the "Cobra Hood" device that Spyderco put on the thumb ramp part of a few models. I still have an ASSIST I that has one. Both of my Ti ATR models had them.

They are not the answer for every knife but for those designed for first responder type work they were great IMO.
Last edited by JD Spydo on Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vivi

Post by vivi »

araneae wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:51 pm
vivi wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:45 pm
araneae wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:32 pm
vivi wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:22 pm
I've never had issues with locking in my grip on knives with no thumb ramp. Whether a Buck 110, Spyderco Street Bowie, machete, chef knife or Leatherman, the vast majority of my cutting tools lack one.
So just curious, do you think you have comparable grip on say a Buck 110 vs a Pac Salt?
Yes, I know I do.
Interesting. I would never have a doubt that my grip security feels something like an order of magnitude better on a Pac Salt, versus something like a 110, which I would say has comparatively slippery materials and is less ergonomically designed. I have XL hands, but somewhat slender fingers.
I spent about a decade or so carrying each design and found them both to be ergonomic and secure in the grip.

The Pacific Salt feels more secure to me due to the handle shape and scale texture. The thumb ramp doesn't seem to affect things either way.

A better comparison may be the Siren and Pacific. Those both have grippy scales. Both lock my grip in well.
:unicorn
vivi

Post by vivi »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:23 pm
I'm probably in the minority because I'm one of the very few that actually miss the "Cobra Hood" device that Spyderco put on the thumb ramp part of a few models. I still have an ASSIST I that has one. Both of my Ti ATR models had them.

They are not the answer for every knife but for those designed for first responder type work they were great IMO.
Cobra hoods make thumb ramps a lot more comfortable. Its one of the reasons I liked the original ATR, and the Salsa.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Agreed on Cobra hoods. I’ve only had them on the Salsa, but they really make an improvement in comfort.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

I don't like ramps but if they serve to make the blade narrower, OK. I don't like wide blades. They remind me of Neolithic scrapers and spear blades. It is possible to accommodate the Spydie hole without having to make a ramp and a wide blade (as in the Native Chief) but if the ramp is necessary to make the blade more stylized, so be it.
Si vis pacem para bellum ;)
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:52 am
Vertical thumb ramps seem to be well loved by this community, and they’re rampant (get it?) in spyderco’s most popular models. Seki frn models, the para series, etc etc etc.

But what exactly do they accomplish? What are they for? The only specific thing I could think of is stabby sorts of cuts, as it gives a place to exert forward pressure. In which I think a strong guard like the partial choil design on things like the Rhino and the Watu, a molded guard like the Caribbean, or a full finger choil like on the Native or Manix, accomplish the same goal while while also making those cuts safer. So for me, especially since I have longer fingers, all a vertical ramp just means there’s less of a chance my hand will fit the knife. And, since it makes the blade higher up in relation to the rest of the handle, it makes holding the knife in any other way but thumb forwards or hammer grip much less comfortable.

And look it’s not like I haven’t tried models with vertical thumb ramps, I’ve used (and enjoyed) a Delica and a Dragonfly at work before. And I fully plan on buying that Ayoob sprint when it shows. But I just don’t see the value in a vertical thumb ramp, when other ways of keeping your hand in place will do.

What do y’all think? I know it’s been a well loved design for years now, so I’d like to hear this community’s thoughts on vertical ramps (Delica, Pm2, SpyOpera) vs partial ramps (Manix, Watu, Chap) vs no ramp (Native, Ikuchi, Spydiechef).
Stabby? Be very careful unless you have a properly designed knife or your hand will slide down the blade.

I have never handled all of the Spyderco folders, but I like the Yojimbo, but the ramp is neither vertical / partial / or flat. The handle on the Yojimbo is set up for pressure in a thrust too. It has a deep cutout for fingers. I don't have the Yojumbo yet, but I bet it will be similar.

The best knife for anything "stabby" would be a fixed blade with a hilt similar to the Respect.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

My favorite spydercos don't have ramps... The Shaman and Amalgam. But I don't mind the ones with like the Manix or PM2. Each has their own personality and I enjoy them all.

Now if I had a jot Singh kalsa... What a ramp on that!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
vivi

Post by vivi »

Naperville wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:33 pm
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:52 am
Vertical thumb ramps seem to be well loved by this community, and they’re rampant (get it?) in spyderco’s most popular models. Seki frn models, the para series, etc etc etc.

But what exactly do they accomplish? What are they for? The only specific thing I could think of is stabby sorts of cuts, as it gives a place to exert forward pressure. In which I think a strong guard like the partial choil design on things like the Rhino and the Watu, a molded guard like the Caribbean, or a full finger choil like on the Native or Manix, accomplish the same goal while while also making those cuts safer. So for me, especially since I have longer fingers, all a vertical ramp just means there’s less of a chance my hand will fit the knife. And, since it makes the blade higher up in relation to the rest of the handle, it makes holding the knife in any other way but thumb forwards or hammer grip much less comfortable.

And look it’s not like I haven’t tried models with vertical thumb ramps, I’ve used (and enjoyed) a Delica and a Dragonfly at work before. And I fully plan on buying that Ayoob sprint when it shows. But I just don’t see the value in a vertical thumb ramp, when other ways of keeping your hand in place will do.

What do y’all think? I know it’s been a well loved design for years now, so I’d like to hear this community’s thoughts on vertical ramps (Delica, Pm2, SpyOpera) vs partial ramps (Manix, Watu, Chap) vs no ramp (Native, Ikuchi, Spydiechef).
Stabby? Be very careful unless you have a properly designed knife or your hand will slide down the blade.

I have never handled all of the Spyderco folders, but I like the Yojimbo, but the ramp is neither vertical / partial / or flat. The handle on the Yojimbo is set up for pressure in a thrust too. It has a deep cutout for fingers. I don't have the Yojumbo yet, but I bet it will be similar.

The best knife for anything "stabby" would be a fixed blade with a hilt similar to the Respect.
I've stabbed traditional puukos into logs more times than I can count without getting cut.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

vivi wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:48 pm
Naperville wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:33 pm

I've stabbed traditional puukos into logs more times than I can count without getting cut.
OK. I've driven over 175MPH on the highway too. Neither stabbing with a puuko or driving 175MPH on the highway are great ideas.

Knife designs for combative weapons historically incorporate decent sized hilts to prevent a counter attack from cutting your knife hand, or the user from sliding down the edge toward the tip.

If I have time to plan for an attack/defense, the least I can do is to pick a knife that has the design attributes that I need for the task.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
vivi

Post by vivi »

If I knew I was going into a stabbing competition I wouldn't bring a traditional puuko, but I guess my point is thumb ramps and guards aren't necessary to do EDC style stabbing, like poking through a box.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

vivi wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:21 pm
If I knew I was going into a stabbing competition I wouldn't bring a traditional puuko, but I guess my point is thumb ramps and guards aren't necessary to do EDC style stabbing, like poking through a box.
That's right. Finger guards are another thing that get in my way. I grind them down whenever possible.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

vivi wrote:
Welp, OK... I did mention fixed blades in my post. "The best knife for anything "stabby" would be a fixed blade with a hilt similar to the Respect." and I'll stand by that.

And to be honest with you the styles of kali, escrima and arnis that I am fond of are not really stabbing arts, they are slashing arts.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Naperville wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:50 pm
vivi wrote:
Welp, OK... I did mention fixed blades in my post. "The best knife for anything "stabby" would be a fixed blade with a hilt similar to the Respect." and I'll stand by that.

And to be honest with you the styles of kali, escrima and arnis that I am fond of are not really stabbing arts, they are slashing arts.
What works best for MBC vs EDC if often times different. If I were carrying a knife into battle instead of a gun for some reason, sure a double guard could be nice. For utilitarian use, they get in the way without providing any benefits for how I use a knife.

I had one of those Ontario Spec Ops bowies, styled after kabars. Ground the top guard off because I found it got in my way.

I do prefer having some guard on a pocket knife, but it doesn't have to be extreme. The Police 4 and Pacific Salt have moderate guards that work well for me during utility work. In some grips the deeper guard of my Manix XL doesn't feel as good, like pinch gripping the folders to slice up some food.

The Fish Hunter is an interesting design to consider in this discussion. Designed specifically for stabbing, but barely any thumb ramp and certainly no dual guard. Or even consider ice picks. Most of them I've seen had handles more like a Mora than a dagger.
Last edited by vivi on Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TenGrainBread

Post by TenGrainBread »

One thing I've noticed is the thumb ramp tends to put the Spyder hole further out from the center of the knife than those models without it. This means the hole is more to the side of the pivot than underneath it, which makes flipping the knife open using the hole easier.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Prefer ramps.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

vivi wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:10 pm
What works best for MBC vs EDC if often times different. If I were carrying a knife into battle instead of a gun for some reason, sure a double guard could be nice. For utilitarian use, they get in the way without providing any benefits for how I use a knife.

I had one of those Ontario Spec Ops bowies, styled after kabars. Ground the top guard off because I found it got in my way.

I do prefer having some guard on a pocket knife, but it doesn't have to be extreme. The Police 4 and Pacific Salt have moderate guards that work well for me during utility work. In some grips the deeper guard of my Manix XL doesn't feel as good, like pinch gripping the folders to slice up some food.

The Fish Hunter is an interesting design to consider in this discussion. Designed specifically for stabbing, but barely any thumb ramp and certainly no dual guard. Or even consider ice picks. Most of them I've seen had handles more like a Mora than a dagger.
Just a comment: 4 of the strikes in the US based escrima, arnis 12 strike template (used by Cabales and Bahala Na) are thrusts so it is not that the art is totally slashing, but when you look at the movements, it seems that way.

The double hilt can be overdone. I prefer the top hilt to be shorter than the bottom hilt so that if I want to get my thumb on the top of the knife I can reach it. I am not now and never have been a commando or in a knife duel, so this is just passing chatter.

I do not carry a firearm, but I do carry knives. I'm not going to talk about what knives I carry but I always carry a folder, and when I carry a fixed blade it can be from a 3 inch blade to a 7 inch blade, depending on where I am and what I am doing.

It's all 100% self defense for me, from dogs that want to eat my dog when I walk him, to people who have an intent to do me harm, should I encounter them.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Can use a knife with or without a thumb ramp, but 10-20 years of mostly using Spyderco pocket knives I have no issue with them and use them.

The thumb ramp is pretty much the heart and soul of easy opening in the Pacific Salt, Delica, and PM2 which I probably have used more than anything
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

TenGrainBread wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:13 pm
One thing I've noticed is the thumb ramp tends to put the Spyder hole further out from the center of the knife than those models without it. This means the hole is more to the side of the pivot than underneath it, which makes flipping the knife open using the hole easier.
TenGrainBread's observation is, in fact, the real "answer" to the question posed by the thread title. The higher the hole is above the pivot, the more leverage you get, the shorter the opening arc of the blade, the straighter the path of your thumb during the opening, and the more ambidextrous the design. All that translates into ease of opening. The trade-off is a pronounced thumb ramp.

Straight-backed knives with no ramp position the hole much lower in relationship to the pivot pin. They may feel better in use, but are more challenging to open swiftly and often aren't lefty friendly.

Like most things Spyderco, understanding the real function of the "hump" allows you to make the most educated decisions with regard to your personal preferences.

Stay safe,

Mike
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

vivi wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:27 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:23 pm

Cobra hoods make thumb ramps a lot more comfortable. Its one of the reasons I liked the original ATR, and the Salsa.
Yeah that's right!!! the Titanium Salsa did have one. Mine has been locked away for some time and I've kind of forgotten about it. That Ti Salsa also had ATS-34 steel whereas the rest of the Salsas I believe had AUS-8 if my thinking is straight.

But again for "first responder" type blades like the ASSIST models do well with that Cobra Hood. I think they would do well with most of the sheepsfoot type blades.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Another thing I forgot to mention is the C-60 Ayoob model has one of the better thumb ramps I've seen on any Spyder. And the jimping on that model is so well done you don't hardly need a Cobra Hood on that one at all.

Just one of about 8 features I love about that C-60 Ayoob model.

The really low angle thumb ramp you have on the C-36 Military model serves a purpose as well. But do consider it's a different design intended for a lot different uses>> even with that said it's been my main EDC for 4 years +.