Edge Impact test

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Josh Crutchley

Edge Impact test

Post by Josh Crutchley »

I decided that I wanted to do a test of edge stability but it seems I did a impact test. This is NOT a test to find the best EDC steel. This is the first test I have ever done on knives. **** I didn't even own a knife till 4 months ago now I'm addicted.
I built a test rig to hold a hardened 7cr17 blank at the lanyard hole. It is positioned above a small vise to hold the test subjects. The blank is held spine down 2in(51mm) above the vise. Its 6.5in(165mm) from the pivot point to where the blank contacts the test subject. The static weight of the blank in the jig at approx. the point of contact is ~32 grams.
20201219_123105_compress68.jpg
20201219_123022_compress55.jpg
Manix 2 S110V 15dps .019"-.021" bte The smaller mark in the lower pic is from the blank bouncing causing a second impact.
spys110v.jpg
spys110vA.jpg
Mule Team PD#1 15dps .018" bte
mule.jpg
muleA.jpg
Meerkat 440c 14dps .0135" bte This wasn't as sharp as the others that's why the whole apex looks damaged.
mk440c.jpg
mk440.jpg
Paramilitary 2 Maxamet 15dps .013"-.016" bte Blank seemed to slide after impact causing a wider mark. I'm also not sure what the perpendicular scratches are from cant see them with the naked eye. They might be left over from the factory grind.
max1.jpg
max2.jpg
Byrd Hawkbill SE 8cr13mov 23* included
WIN_20201219_12_48_54_Pro.jpg
WIN_20201219_12_46_16_Pro.jpg
I'm not really sure what to make of it other than Maxamet is tougher than I thought. The Hawkbills performance surprised me but its not apples to apples. The s110v I assumed would chip not flatten out. The Maxamet I would like to retest in the future to get a cleaner hit. Let me know if you guys like it and what I could test next. I realize I'm not very consistent with sharpening hopefully the microscope helps me improve. The test jig could use a lot of improvements and I need a better release other than pulling that block of wood out fast. I don't want to do any cardboard or rope cutting there's enough of that out there.
Last edited by Josh Crutchley on Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
tonijedi

Re: Edge stability test

Post by tonijedi »

What these tests tell me is that no matter what the steel your balde is made of, if you bang it on a hard place the edge will be ruined.
I learnt this from real use, and that's why I like easy to sharpen steels like VG-10 and H1.
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

Beautiful test construction and photos. Thank you for sharing. Very interesting result on maxamet. You should hunt down some H1 for your next test.

From one interested amateur knife tester to another, this site linked below may be helpful for you. The reviewer has quite a selection of purpose built tools for testing knives and edges. Personally I've already built an analogue for sharpness testing and am looking at recreating the edge stability jig as well. Perhaps you would be interested in such DIY construction as well: https://tacticalreviews.co.uk/?page_id=8150
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

tonijedi wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:53 pm
What these tests tell me is that no matter what the steel your balde is made of, if you bang it on a hard place the edge will be ruined.
I learnt this from real use, and that's why I like easy to sharpen steels like VG-10 and H1.
I'm pretty sure it will take a whole lot less metal removal to clean the maxamet edge up than the others.

Maxamet is mostly all strength and very little toughness. It is very resistant to denting and rolling. This will result in it having better edge stability than most other steels, up to the point that it starts cracking, then it's a different story.

Maxamet is the best medium use steel out there imo.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

spoonrobot wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:17 pm
Beautiful test construction and photos. Thank you for sharing. Very interesting result on maxamet.
Agreed. Well designed experiment. Hat's off!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

You need to try this with K390, AEB-L, LC200N, and 52100 and see what you get.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

jpm2 wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:44 pm
tonijedi wrote:
I'm pretty sure it will take a whole lot less metal removal to clean the maxamet edge up than the others.

Maxamet is mostly all strength and very little toughness. It is very resistant to denting and rolling. This will result in it having better edge stability than most other steels, up to the point that it starts cracking, then it's a different story.

I may be wrong, as I don't have any maxamet myself, but I've read it is difficult to sharpen? I only have a sharpmaker and some basic pocket stones, I'm afraid I couldn't even deal with a damage like the one in the photo. Or am I just scared by "internet fears"?
u.w.

Post by u.w. »

I like it, and thank you for taking the time to put it all together and share.
Very cool!

u.w.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

tonijedi wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:32 am
jpm2 wrote:
tonijedi wrote:

I may be wrong, as I don't have any maxamet myself, but I've read it is difficult to sharpen? I only have a sharpmaker and some basic pocket stones, I'm afraid I couldn't even deal with a damage like the one in the photo. Or am I just scared by "internet fears"?
If you have the diamond or cbn sharpmaker rods, you'll be good. They are a good idea regardless.
If you sharpen s30v, you shouldn't have any problems with maxamet.
Maxamet is very hard to grind, but easy to sharpen. I know, that's sounds odd.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Seems more like impact testing than edge stability.

Cool stuff
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:10 pm

Cool stuff
I agree it's impact testing, which is the least common edge stress our pocket knives encounter.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:10 pm

Cool stuff
I might make one like the Edge on up/Bess Edge Stability Tester. I have all the parts to do it just have to sharpen all the knives.
Edit fixed title.
JD Spydo

Re: Edge Impact test

Post by JD Spydo »

All of these types of tests are good and there is some good knowledge to be gained from them. However the only truly accurate test for every day usage>> is every day usage.

And again I'm not trying to talk negative about your subject matter and to some degree I find it intriguing. But still there is no other way to determine how an edge will perform in EDC uses other than to use it in EDC cutting jobs.

But I am finding this to be an interesting thread for sure.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

jpm2 wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:35 am
tonijedi wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:32 am
jpm2 wrote:
tonijedi wrote:

If you have the diamond or cbn sharpmaker rods, you'll be good. They are a good idea regardless.
If you sharpen s30v, you shouldn't have any problems with maxamet.
Maxamet is very hard to grind, but easy to sharpen. I know, that's sounds odd.
Thank you for your answer.
I do have the diamond rods and S30V and S35VN knives.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:20 pm
All of these types of tests are good and there is some good knowledge to be gained from them. However the only truly accurate test for every day usage>> is every day usage.

And again I'm not trying to talk negative about your subject matter and to some degree I find it intriguing. But still there is no other way to determine how an edge will perform in EDC uses other than to use it in EDC cutting jobs.

I wasn't trying to test if they are good for EDC. I just wanted to do comparisons other than cut tests.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:20 pm

I agree there's no test(s) to definitively say how an edge will perform with all use. There's always something unaccounted for.
There are however tests that can simulate certain tasks that do give accurate results relating to those certain tasks.
I have a few tests I put new knives through to determine if I'll use them at work.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

How were the blades sharpened, and at what angles?
I don't think behind the edge thickness is relevant without knowing what angle it's derived from. It also doesn't come into play unless the damage reaches it, or the primary grind.
Chumango

Post by Chumango »

With the light reflecting off the edges it is hard to tell if the damage was mostly dent or chip.

There will be a component of lateral force on impact because the blank has a pivot point. The ratio of vertical and lateral forces can be calculated with the dimensions you provided - the ratio of the sides of the triangle.