2021 New Years Knife Resolutions?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cscottsss

Re: 2021 New Years Knife Resolutions?

Post by Cscottsss »

To not buy any new knives even though I know it won't happen. I've spent waaaayyy to much in the past few months.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Mule Team only for me, unless BBB's knife comes along and I can afford it. I'm sure there is something coming down the pike though, that will pull me in. :o

I've purchased less knives this year but have spent more on custom scales and clips. I may do that again just to support the aftermarket companies ;)
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Burton Knut

Post by Burton Knut »

Told my wife I wouldn’t spend any virgin funds on knives so we can prioritize other things. So I’m selling those that don’t get used or are redundant in function and leaving the money in PayPal to buy new knives. Not quite “one in one out” but more of “dollar in before dollar out.” Let’s check back in 365 and see how this went.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Focus more on customization.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

No purchases but SPY27.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Probably continue to thin the herd and focus on quality. I have been at this for a while and I have owned many knives. At this point I have a pretty good idea what I like. That makes it easier to let some go and easier to spend more on each knife.

Less quantity and more quality. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Add me to the list who will try for a net decrease in the collection. It has become a burden and no longer brings much happiness. I need to stop chasing sprints, super steels, and GEC releases (I know, wrong forum).
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

vivi wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:00 pm
ladybug93 wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:23 pm
vivi wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:50 pm
Make one.
i approve of this message. maybe i should try to finish the one i started making years ago...

it's based on an izula, but i added a thumb rest on the spine and was going to give it a scandi grind (although i'd probably rather go with a flat or high saber grind now). i cut it from a blank of o1 tool steel.
You should finish that up then share your results!

I'm planning to gradually learn more steps of the process then eventually complete my own from scratch design. Next on my list is order a blank to practice making and installing scales.
I think it's great that you're thinking of making your own! I definitely want to encourage both of you to go forward and make your knives. If either of you decide to go for it, questions will undoubtedly arise along the way and I would be more than happy to help if you'd like. If you need assistance with things like grinding questions, tooling set-ups, order of process, or heat treating just send me a message and I'll help out. Whether you take me up on my offer to help or not...I hope you make your knife! :)

This year my resolution is to add a full size surface grinder to my shop so I can stop spending hours upon hours sanding the tips of my fingers off :confused: :)
Last edited by Xplorer on Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
CXXX

Post by CXXX »

I just pulled 41 Spyderco's from the collection to sell in January. I have been on a serious Spyderco buying spree for years, I had to pause and evaluate what attributes I really like. The Para 3 almost broke me trying to keep up with all of those, I had to make a decision NOT to buy the Para 3 lightweights. So now I concentrate on the Golden G-10 /Carbon Fiber models. The Sprints and Dealer Exclusives of Military, Paramilitary 2, Para 3, Manix 2, and Native make it almost impossible for me to afford any other models. So my January sale proceeds will fund 2021.
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

No new knives for 21. Use and appreciate what I have. Save money....
PStone

Post by PStone »

I decided that this year I am going to focus on obtaining models that I let go, and now regret. First of many on the list is the PPT S90V Sprint. I sold mine in an effort to raise funds towards a Sebenza(that I never bought). It’s my biggest selling regret.

My new PPT should be here Friday. :spyder:
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:32 am
Probably continue to thin the herd and focus on quality. I have been at this for a while and I have owned many knives. At this point I have a pretty good idea what I like. That makes it easier to let some go and easier to spend more on each knife.

Less quantity and more quality. :)
I'm starting to feel exactly this way myself. Different models, or materials used may peak my interest but I'm really no longer interested in the next color G10 PM2 that comes out in a steel I already own. I'm pretty sure I can tell from the look/size of a knife if it will work for me these days or not. Which is honestly a blessing to finally feel that way haha!

For whatever reason I've suddenly been looking at CRK's quite a bit. Apparently you can't get much more quality than those, just trying to justify those prices in my head for a knife I know I won't even use that hard, just something I really want as a knife collector! Maybe splurge on a couple high end other's this year and keep using all these awesome Spyderco knives as my true workhorse knives.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

JuPaul wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:29 pm
I was considering doing some kind of "one model only for at least two weeks" challenge to myself. But I know I won't be able to do it. ;) :p Still, I may try something like that.
Try one week at a time Julia! I used to be like you and rotate my knife every day, never carried the same one on consecutive days. But, even now just carrying the same knife for a week straight has really taught me A LOT about certain steels or models. It's been fun! I too would also like to jump up to 2 weeks at a time...but it is so hard with so many to choose from!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:29 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:29 pm
I was considering doing some kind of "one model only for at least two weeks" challenge to myself. But I know I won't be able to do it. ;) :p Still, I may try something like that.
Try one week at a time Julia! I used to be like you and rotate my knife every day, never carried the same one on consecutive days. But, even now just carrying the same knife for a week straight has really taught me A LOT about certain steels or models. It's been fun! I too would also like to jump up to 2 weeks at a time...but it is so hard with so many to choose from!
Yeah, I know I should. It's just so fun to pick out a different one each morning, and it's part of the joy of having a decent sized collection. Maybe I start with like a 3-day stretch...I think I could do that...baby steps, right?! ;) :D
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Blnd

Post by Blnd »

razehound wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:29 pm
My resolution is gonna be to only own knives that I have purposes for. For example, Caribbean for beach/boating, Manix 2 XL for camping, Sliverax for daily carry, WE Minitor for classy affairs :cool:
I’m seeing lots of these types of comments. I’m a big proponent of simplifying EDC choices.
eRoc

Post by eRoc »

Learning how to freehand sharpen on bench stones. Time for me to graduate from the sharpmaker.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

"No new knives," "Fewer knives," "Thin the collection." What's wrong with you people?! I plan to buy as many Spydercos as I can during the coming year! All you people thinning the heard can sell to me. First up, the people with too many Calys and Calypsos...
:p ;) :rolleyes:
KenD

Post by KenD »

Wow! I thought I was the only one who made a knife resolution. I actually wrote mine down (you know, to make it stick). It states: "I will not buy any knives in 2021, with the possible exception of another online Spyderco Factory Outlet Sale."

My plan is to rotate through the knives I bought in 2020. If I feel the need to buy something, just stick to accessories like deep carry clips, custom scales, maybe a Sharpmaker.
I've always wanted to go to Switzerland to see what the army does with those wee red knives. - Billy Connolly
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

More focused resolution: Only lightweight knives in 2021.

Avoided the lightweights years ago, ("too plasticky" I thought) but have smartened up since then. I'm much more likely to carry a lightweight knife, and the only knife worth a darn is the knife you have with you when you need it. So let 2021 be the year of lightweights.

Started with a Manix LW SPY27; it's great...so far so good. What's next?
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

To learn and research more about knife steels, production process, and folders in general.
Try some more unusual Spyderco blade types and maybe track down a few discontinued models.
Get a good feeling of the brand from the top shelf offerings to a few of their value offerings, which im currently doing.
To participate in a few laughs and conversations with the lads here, maybe make a friend or two.