Spy27 Delica?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Dodge

Spy27 Delica?

Post by Dodge »

Will we see one in the future? I think a flagship knife deserves the company steel onboard.
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
Robbob

Re: Spy27 Delica?

Post by Robbob »

With the relatively recent advent of S30V in Seki models, I would say it's entirely possible. If Sal does not decide to go that route there's always the possibility of an exclusive.
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

I hope it wouldn't be an exclusive, because then Spydercos own steel "rights" would be tied up with another company!
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

I would think that Spyderco eventually wants to put SPY27 in all of their core models, since it's their proprietary steel alloy. Right now they're putting it in US made lightweights, which makes sense. If enough of us knife buyers are collectively willing to pay the premium for SPY27 over S30V and other steels, then I'm sure Spyderco will put SPY27 blades in the Delica and other core models. If too few of us are willing to pay the premium, then Spyderco probably won't expand the SPY27 offerings. I hope that SPY27 catches on, and that demand justifies Spyderco buying enough of it to hopefully bring the price down a bit.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Good idea but a SPY27 Millie is even better
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

elena86 wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:00 pm
I'd buy one!

I'd assume a SPY27 Delica will come along at some point.. a flagship model in the proprietary company steel.. makes sense that it would! :)
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

elena86 wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:00 pm

Both (plus an Endura, Endela, SSS, and SSSXL) is best
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I'd love to try it out in my reference standard model, the Endura.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

If SPY27 passes the test of time and owners, I think it could displace VG-10 and etc. in all models.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

Yeah I think with s30v making it’s way to the delica recently, it will hold a SPY27 model up for some time. If and when it does come out it will kick the current pocket king, Para 3 LW, out of my pocket.
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

I guess I don't see the point, other than for novelty. Wasn't it created to be an American version of vg10 (albeit upgraded)? I understand using SPY27 in US models since we can't ship vg10 here, but why make a Seki model more expensive by shipping SPY27 over there? Seems like it goes against the reason for creating the alloy.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:27 am
I guess I don't see the point, other than for novelty...

I love my P4LW. If you told me that Spyderco was making one with a stainless steel with better edge retention than VG10, better edge stability, and sharpens nicely, I would buy one immediately. SPY27 certainly fits the bill, but it isn't the only steel that provides those properties. I am largely ignorant of Japanese steels, so perhaps there is a domestic steel that could be used instead. Sal has mentioned SRS-13 as a possible steel for the Seki line. I've also heard good things about Cobalt Special as well. When I look at SPY27, I see a steel that has the characteristics (on paper at least, haven't tried it myself) that appeal to me. So, naturally, I want to see that steel on models that I enjoy. So Seki + SPY27 seems "logical" to me even though there are other factors that may keep Spyderco from adopting the steel for their Seki lineup.