Spyder Classics: The C-58 JD Smith model

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Spyder Classics: The C-58 JD Smith model

Post by JD Spydo »

OK second in my series of "Spyder Classics" is one I've loved since the late 90s. It was actually I think about the 4th or 5th Spyderco knife I ever owned in the early going of my Spyderco journey. I'm speaking of the C-58 JD Smith model. I vividly remember the very cold autumn night at a Kansas City, MO Gun Show where I bought my first JD Smith model. I was with a good friend that night who also bought one too. This model over the years has brought back some great memories.

The JD Smith model goes all the way back to the ATS-34 Era. I even still have an ATS-34 version in full SE. It wasn't long however before they switched and made them with VG-10. The handle is superb and the blade geometry is near perfect. The C-60 Ayoob is one of the very, very few Spyderco Classic models that I like better. And you all know how much I like the C-60 ;) I have yet to meet anyone who appreciates knives who doesn't like the C-58 JD Smith Spyderco model.

They have done I think at least two Sprint Runs of this most super of Classic Spyderco models. This is one model that I think could have been a permanent Spyderco model. So let's talk about the C-58 JD Smith model shall we?
ChopSliceStab

Re: Spyder Classics: The C-58 JD Smith model

Post by ChopSliceStab »

You need pics with these posts.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Yes, pictures, please!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
archangel

Post by archangel »

Google.com .....

Handsome knife. Pointy tip, upswept blade - screams my name. Beautiful!
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

This link to the Spydiewiki will help: http://www.spydiewiki.com/index.php?title=C58_JD_Smith
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Gee!!! Do I have to do everything??? :rolleyes: I'm quite certain that there will be a fan of the JD Smith model that will feel compelled to show off before the day is over. I've never seen it fail yet.

Like the previous guy just said there are thousands of pictures of this model all over the web.

And that model has been around since the ATS-34 era>> and that was quite a while back too.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Always wished I had picked one of these up back in the day.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

It is a slim, and dare I say it, elegant knife. I found a serrated version on close-out several years ago and fell in love with it. The sprint was in foliage green G10 which was not in keeping with the design, IMO. I'd love to see it return with micarta like the originals. Polished G10 might be acceptable as well, but nowhere near the looks and hand feel of micarta.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

Thread needs pics ...

Can’t believe that’s the only image in my Postimages library of a JD Smith ... will need to get the safe open ....

Edit ... had this image on my idiot box

RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

2009 sprint run in foliage green G10 and VG-10, just for you JD! ;)

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JRinFL wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:04 am
It is a slim, and dare I say it, elegant knife. I found a serrated version on close-out several years ago and fell in love with it. The sprint was in foliage green G10 which was not in keeping with the design, IMO. I'd love to see it return with micarta like the originals. Polished G10 might be acceptable as well, but nowhere near the looks and hand feel of micarta.
I'm telling you right now JR and I'm telling the others as well. IF they do a Sprint Run of this JD Smith with something like K390 or one of those Crucible steels high on the chart I would probably be putting my M390 Military into a long, well deserved vacation.

The only other Spyderco factory knife that I think has a better factory handle in the TEMPERANCE 1 fixed blade model with a new blade steel I could fall in love with the JD Smitha again very easily. It's truly a Super Classic IMO.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

PSquared wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:23 am
Thread needs pics ...

Can’t believe that’s the only image in my Postimages library of a JD Smith ... will need to get the safe open ....

Edit ... had this image on my idiot box

OK boys & girls :) here are your PICS!!! And some really nice pics at that :cool: If that 2009 Sprint Run would have had like a ZDP-189 blade I would still be carrying it.

This is not only a "Golden Oldie" folks!!! THIS IS A SUPER CLASSIC!!! No question about it :cool: I wish I knew how to get ahold of Mr. J.D. Smith himself if he's still with us>> that guy is one really cool designer of blades :cool:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Yeah I've gotta pass on this one. The ricasso is like the king of ricassos and the grip position is just way too far from the edge for my tastes.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:34 pm
Yeah I've gotta pass on this one. The ricasso is like the king of ricassos and the grip position is just way too far from the edge for my tastes.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: PARTY POOPER! :D :D "You never want to judge a folder from it's cover" Dude this is another one just like the C-60 that you actually got to get your hands on.

Now you go and rethink this over and come back later when you can think more clearly :D

Oh and by the way when it was in the main line up you could get it in PE & SE both. And the SE version of this bad boy has the teeth of an Everglade Alligator :cool:
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

What we really need is that flat grind sprint shrunk down to a 3 or 3.25 inch blade.
djinnzfree

Post by djinnzfree »

2013 JD Smith was at Trois-Rivières / at the St-Maurice forges Québec Canada for Can-Iron. He sign my Spyderco hat and hold in is hands one of my precious.... at 4:15 knife and cap signed! external link to youtube https://youtu.be/JmA5IcOpO7o
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:34 am

This is absolutely beautiful! I love the blade profile and overall lines of the knife. I wants one...
- Julia

JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:11 pm
Evil D wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:34 pm
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: PARTY POOPER! :D :D "You never want to judge a folder from it's cover" Dude this is another one just like the C-60 that you actually got to get your hands on.

Now you go and rethink this over and come back later when you can think more clearly :D

Oh and by the way when it was in the main line up you could get it in PE & SE both. And the SE version of this bad boy has the teeth of an Everglade Alligator :cool:
It does seem like that big ol' ricasso could've been made into an actual functional finger choil.
- Julia

RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

A few pics of the OG SE Micarta one I sold off a few months ago...

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JuPaul wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:45 pm
RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:34 am

This is absolutely beautiful! I love the blade profile and overall lines of the knife. I wants one...
You're going to learn to trust me one of these days :) And people wonder why I'm still obsessed with many of the "Old School" Classics from what I affectionately like to refer to as THE GOLDEN ERA OF SPYDERS 1998-2004 :cool:

And I guess I'll just ask you all straight up front. Being that we as a dedicated group lobbied and GOT The Green Light for a new Sprint Run of the C-60 Ayoob because it was such a great design>> well I'm now wondering if this magnificent JD Smith model should be the next one deserving of a similar resurrection!?? At some point?

Because I've had my JD Smith ATS-34 full SE model on my desk today as I've been talking to folks here at Spyderville and the more I look at this "Work OF ART" the more I would like to see it back some day as well ( In PE & SE both). I just know in my gut this JD Smith would be absolutely colossal in a newer/better blade steel.