Spyder Classics: The C-58 JD Smith model

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
VooDooChild

Re: Spyder Classics: The C-58 JD Smith model

Post by VooDooChild »

It kind of looks like a chokwe and native chief mixed together.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:30 pm
Hey you guys/gals who like this JD Smith model I got a question to ask. If at some point we could convince Spyderco to do a Sprint run of this beauty like we did with the C-60 Ayoob then I wonder what changes would be ideal?

What handle material do you think would do justice for this model?

Also which of the newer blade steels do you think would make this beauty rank high?

My fist vote would always be AEB-L with Burgundy Micarta, but keeping with Spyderco’s theme K390 and Denim Micarta would be nice as well.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Dazen wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:37 am
Not to derail another thread, but how did I ever miss this knife! It’s got to be one of the most beautiful knives Spyderco made!

JD, if there was ever a time you made a thread about not shutting up this would be it!

Sal, please bring this back in it’s original form, micarta and SE hollow grind, and I don’t even care if it’s ATS! Maybe even a forum knife!
Well Brother I still own two of these great JD Smith models and I do like it just about as much as I do the C-60, C-44 Dyad and about 4 others I could mention. Oh how I would just love to see a JD Smith model with a supersteel blade>> and that's about the only change I would make to the original Spyderco JD Smith model.

And I couldn't agree with you more>> because I've often wondered why the JD Smith never sold any more units than they did :confused: . The ergos on the JD Smith are truly ahead of their time just like the ergos on the C-60 Ayoob model. The JD Smith is one of about a dozen reasons I'm still a huge fan of several of the older Spyderco models. I've said on many occasions I truly believe that the time slot of 1998 to 2004 is for all intent and purposes is indeed "The Golden Era of SPYDERS" :cool:

I've often wondered why Spyderco and JD Smith didn't do more collaborations. The JD Smith is truly a super functional work of cutlery art IMO. Yes Sir!!! We're on the same page on this model for sure :cool:
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

I saw a good condition one for sale in one of the FB groups yesterday. I wonder if it's still out there.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:30 pm
Hey you guys/gals who like this JD Smith model I got a question to ask. If at some point we could convince Spyderco to do a Sprint run of this beauty like we did with the C-60 Ayoob then I wonder what changes would be ideal?

What handle material do you think would do justice for this model?

Also which of the newer blade steels do you think would make this beauty rank high?

Micarta. Spyderco's Micarta is top notch.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
JMM

Post by JMM »

I think both the OG model and the Sprint are beautiful, and I rarely use the word beautiful to describe a knife. The lines, curves, it's just a fantastic design IMO... not an easy knife to find.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

If Spyderco brought back the C58 in it’s original form, and added only screw construction like the sprint I think it would be a hit with a super steel!

Micarta would be great, but so would polished G10. Even CF would be nice.

I wonder if the maker is still available? If not, could it be moved to Taichung?
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Dazen wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:14 am
If Spyderco brought back the C58 in it’s original form, and added only screw construction like the sprint I think it would be a hit with a super steel!

Micarta would be great, but so would polished G10. Even CF would be nice.

I wonder if the maker is still available? If not, could it be moved to Taichung?
Once we get the Sprint Run of the C-60 delivered then the C-58 JD Smith might indeed be the next one I seriously beat the drum for a Sprint Run. The purchase/grip of that handle is as though it was tailor made for my hand. But I've had guys with all different hand sizes tell me the same thing concerning using the JD Smith model.

Yeah even that Sprint Run from about 2010 I think it was is even getting tough to find. Also the Spyderedged version of the JD Smith is a mega-beast of a serrated blade. That was back in the day when just about all of Spyderco's great models were available in SE & PE both. I'm seriously hope that trend with return at some point. It was one of the great models from the original ATS-34 era.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Bump for more interest, or until we hear from Sal that it is absolutely unequivocally not possible!
Dane

Catamount123

Post by Catamount123 »

I would definitely be interested in a sprint run or exclusive in 20CV.
I don't get people who only carry one knife :thinking ;)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Catamount123 wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:41 am
I would definitely be interested in a sprint run or exclusive in 20CV.
Wow!!!! a JD Smith in 20CV???!!!! I would be picking up pop & beer cans for a month just to make absolutely sure I had extra cash for something of that quality :cool:

Hey I like that suggestion. That may be the best idea yet for a possible Sprint Run of the JD Smith. A colossal blade steel for a colossal model :cool: The JD Smith without any doubt is a Hall Of Fame Spyder-Classic
awa54

Post by awa54 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:13 pm

...If that 2009 Sprint Run would have had like a ZDP-189 blade I would still be carrying it.

Yeah, not sure why they would have downgraded from ATS-34 for the Sprint, but VG10 is far from junk, so I really don't see why you wouldn't keep carrying it if it's one of your favorite designs... Honestly I'd think just having JD in the name would be enough! ;)
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

awa54 wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:21 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:13 pm

...If that 2009 Sprint Run would have had like a ZDP-189 blade I would still be carrying it.

Yeah, not sure why they would have downgraded from ATS-34 for the Sprint, but VG10 is far from junk, so I really don't see why you wouldn't keep carrying it if it's one of your favorite designs... Honestly I'd think just having JD in the name would be enough! ;)
What can I say?? Time and newer materials sure can change the landscape as well as a person's preferences. But I do think that a JD Smith model in PE would have been really nice with ZDP-189. But knowing what I know now about ZDP-189 if I had to make that same decision today I would opt for at least 8 to 10 of these newer blade steels over ZDP.

Because I would want to see a Blade Steel that could accommodate both PE & SE blades. Because Spyderco themselves halted the manufacture of serrated blades with ZDP-189>> and for a good reason too.

But I'm hoping that one day this most elegant and ergonomic model can be made available once more in upgraded materials.
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

I actually just picked one of the green sprints of this knife on Ebay. The price was surprisingly reasonable (nib and slightly less than originally MSRP), especially considering the insane prices some models command on Ebay. This is a beautiful knife and I can't wait to get my hands on it. Should be coming in the mail today :)
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

I would definitely be interested in a JD Smith in plain edge.

Every time I see the JD Smith in photos I think to myself how much I would like to have one… at this point another knife isn’t really needed but, there is still room in the knife case; especially if it’s micarta with 20CV.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

samdasnake wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:27 pm
I actually just picked one of the green sprints of this knife on Ebay. The price was surprisingly reasonable (nib and slightly less than originally MSRP), especially considering the insane prices some models command on Ebay. This is a beautiful knife and I can't wait to get my hands on it. Should be coming in the mail today :)
As far as I am aware I think all of those Sprint Runs of the JD Smith all had VG-10 blades. It's high time we see a super model like this with a newer/better blade steel. Oh don't get me wrong I'm always appreciative of Spyderco doing Sprint Runs of past models I loved.

But wouldn't it make perfect sense to move up to a premium blade steel. Because seriously I thought one of the main reasons for Sprint Runs is to take an older model and either modify it and/or improve it.

The JD Smith with a supersteel blade would be very high on my "gotta have" list.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

BLUETYPEII wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:56 pm
I would definitely be interested in a JD Smith in plain edge.

Every time I see the JD Smith in photos I think to myself how much I would like to have one… at this point another knife isn’t really needed but, there is still room in the knife case; especially if it’s micarta with 20CV.
But please don't overlook one of the older/original JD Smith models in Spyderedge>> if you ever get the chance to try one in SE you'll be mind-blown at how well that model works with TEETH. The JD Smtih and Howard Viele Spyderco models both are super in full SE.
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:58 am
samdasnake wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:27 pm
As far as I am aware I think all of those Sprint Runs of the JD Smith all had VG-10 blades. It's high time we see a super model like this with a newer/better blade steel. Oh don't get me wrong I'm always appreciative of Spyderco doing Sprint Runs of past models I loved.

But wouldn't it make perfect sense to move up to a premium blade steel. Because seriously I thought one of the main reasons for Sprint Runs is to take an older model and either modify it and/or improve it.

The JD Smith with a supersteel blade would be very high on my "gotta have" list.
Oh I completely agree. Especially now that I’ve had a chance to handle one I must say it’s one of the best designs in my collection. I’d love to see a new run in a newer steel. I love VG10 but a K390 JD Smith would be amazing.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Oh, I'll just say it. A JD Smith re-release in MagnaCut. Every other classic is going to be requested in MagnaCut, may as well get this on in the queue!
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

One random ? about the JD Smith. Was it made by Moki? Looking at the stamping on mine it appears more similar to the other Moki made Spydercos I have (as opposed to the Sakai models). Would that have any affect on a possible re-release?