Spyder Classics: The C-58 JD Smith model

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Mastiff

Re: Spyder Classics: The C-58 JD Smith model

Post by The Mastiff »

She's sleek and lethal looking if you ask me. :) You picked one of my favorites here Joe! Mine is currently in a box upstairs but this has me wanting to go get it out now. I like the design and I did and still do like ATS 34. I'd love to see one in 4V maybe?, or K390 which is turning into one of my favorites now I have it in an Endura.

The JD Smith is one of two others ( the Stretch is the other) that I can drop in my pocket and leave my Endura at home and not feel strange without. I liked both previous versions and if I had a say I'd probably go back to something like linen micarta rather than Carbon fiber on a sprint . No toxic or pink colors but other than that I'm in. It is great as is for me.

Joe
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:15 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:45 pm
RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:34 am
2009 sprint run in foliage green G10 and VG-10, just for you JD! ;)

This is absolutely beautiful! I love the blade profile and overall lines of the knife. I wants one...
You're going to learn to trust me one of these days :) And people wonder why I'm still obsessed with many of the "Old School" Classics from what I affectionately like to refer to as THE GOLDEN ERA OF SPYDERS 1998-2004 :cool:

And I guess I'll just ask you all straight up front. Being that we as a dedicated group lobbied and GOT The Green Light for a new Sprint Run of the C-60 Ayoob because it was such a great design>> well I'm now wondering if this magnificent JD Smith model should be the next one deserving of a similar resurrection!?? At some point?

Because I've had my JD Smith ATS-34 full SE model on my desk today as I've been talking to folks here at Spyderville and the more I look at this "Work OF ART" the more I would like to see it back some day as well ( In PE & SE both). I just know in my gut this JD Smith would be absolutely colossal in a newer/better blade steel.
Not long ago you did another thread on "forgotten Spyderco models." There were three in that thread that especially caught my eye: the JD Smith, the Renegade, and the Zowada. They all have long sleek lines and beautiful blade shapes that I just love. I'd support a campaign to sprint/modernize any of them.

viewtopic.php?t=87666&start=20
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JuPaul wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:44 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:15 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:45 pm
RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:34 am
2009 sprint run in foliage green G10 and VG-10, just for you JD! ;)

This is absolutely beautiful! I love the blade profile and overall lines of the knife. I wants one...
You're going to learn to trust me one of these days :) And people wonder why I'm still obsessed with many of the "Old School" Classics from what I affectionately like to refer to as THE GOLDEN ERA OF SPYDERS 1998-2004 :cool:

And I guess I'll just ask you all straight up front. Being that we as a dedicated group lobbied and GOT The Green Light for a new Sprint Run of the C-60 Ayoob because it was such a great design>> well I'm now wondering if this magnificent JD Smith model should be the next one deserving of a similar resurrection!?? At some point?

Because I've had my JD Smith ATS-34 full SE model on my desk today as I've been talking to folks here at Spyderville and the more I look at this "Work OF ART" the more I would like to see it back some day as well ( In PE & SE both). I just know in my gut this JD Smith would be absolutely colossal in a newer/better blade steel.
Not long ago you did another thread on "forgotten Spyderco models." There were three in that thread that especially caught my eye: the JD Smith, the Renegade, and the Zowada. They all have long sleek lines and beautiful blade shapes that I just love. I'd support a campaign to sprint/modernize any of them.
Glad you brought up those 3 models in particular. Because the RENEGADE was one of Spyderco's "In House" designs. I've always been a huge fan of many of Spyderco's In House designs>> especially many of Eric's>> His Dodo is still one of my top 5 all time favorites. Also the RENEGADE is one of the very few Spyderco models that was at one time made at the GOLDEN plant as well as also being made at one of Spyderco's Japan facilities.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Country Knives has this in stock, or at least they did.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
araneae

Post by araneae »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:34 pm
Yeah I've gotta pass on this one. The ricasso is like the king of ricassos and the grip position is just way too far from the edge for my tastes.
Agreed, I don't like my hand that far back on the handle.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

araneae wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:46 am
Evil D wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:34 pm
Yeah I've gotta pass on this one. The ricasso is like the king of ricassos and the grip position is just way too far from the edge for my tastes.
Agreed, I don't like my hand that far back on the handle.

To be fair this one is practically a choil and I'm sure it wouldn't be too uncomfortable using it as one, I'd just assume not have it though. The further away from your grip you go, the less force you can apply to a cut and I tend to white knuckle most things so I like the edge as far bad as I can get it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:43 am
Country Knives has this in stock, or at least they did.
Country Knives store is always an option>> that is if "MONEY" is no object or barrier to you. Because the two times I dealt with them they sure put a big dent in my wallet :eek: But there are times when they are the only option.

However in spite of the fact that they are very pricey with their stuff they do have a good reputation of being an honest dealer and that can be worth a lot.

With all the counterfeit Spyderco knives out there on several of the auction sites you have to be extremely careful when you are looking for an old Classic like this JD Smith. So do keep that in mind folks :)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Hey you guys/gals who like this JD Smith model I got a question to ask. If at some point we could convince Spyderco to do a Sprint run of this beauty like we did with the C-60 Ayoob then I wonder what changes would be ideal?

What handle material do you think would do justice for this model?

Also which of the newer blade steels do you think would make this beauty rank high?
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I have a serrated ATS-34 model. It is one of the most comfortable Spydies I have, it just melts in the hand with the smooth micarta and well rounded edges.

I quite like the big ricasso as a choil. I’ll see if I can post a photo in a few days (travelling now).
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Brock O Lee wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:20 am
I have a serrated ATS-34 model. It is one of the most comfortable Spydies I have, it just melts in the hand with the smooth micarta and well rounded edges.

I quite like the big ricasso as a choil. I’ll see if I can post a photo in a few days (travelling now).
Thanks BROCK!! It was probably one of the hottest models to emerge from the ATS-34 era. And ATS-34 is not bad at all in SE. I've kept some of my ATS-34 SE models. I actually have two of the JD Smith in SE ( one ATS-34 and one VG-10). I do like ATS-55 blade steel just a tad bit better than ATS-34 but they are both pretty close in performance.

When VG-10 started taking over it really changed the entire Spyder-Landscape. That JD Smith in SE can open any package known to man. It can penetrate so well that a person might be tempted to stop with that model and feel like their needs are met.
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

I don't think I'm the first person to make this observation but the Siren handle looks somewhat similar to the JD Smith's—the Siren's is a bit more neutral, but I think the overall proportions are pretty close. The Siren might be a good current production alternative to the JD Smith for those who aren't interested in navigating the secondary market.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

zuludelta wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:16 pm
I don't think I'm the first person to make this observation but the Siren handle looks somewhat similar to the JD Smith's—the Siren's is a bit more neutral, but I think the overall proportions are pretty close. The Siren might be a good current production alternative to the JD Smith for those who aren't interested in navigating the secondary market.
This gives me time to pause and think. You know we've had a lot of great collaboration Spyderco models over the years.

As much as I've loved the JD Smith models that I've owned and used over the years I've thought about how cool it would be to find that JD Smith himself made.

If Mr. Smith is still active and I've heard that he is>> I would love to see another collaboration with him and Spyderco.

His handle designs are just near perfect. And I tend to like narrow blades like the one on the JD Smith model.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

yeah that sprint run is crescent!
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Brock O Lee wrote:
I’ll see if I can post a photo in a few days (travelling now).

I like the size, same handle length as the PM2, but slightly longer blade.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Brock O Lee wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:22 pm
Brock O Lee wrote:
I’ll see if I can post a photo in a few days (travelling now).

I like the size, same handle length as the PM2, but slightly longer blade.
Nic Pics Brock>> That SE version of the JD Smith has an elegance look about it compared to many serrated versions. Not to mention that it cuts as efficiently as any PE I've ever used. The JD Smith and the C-60 Ayoob models are probably thee best looking of all the SE models ever released.

The JD Smith and Viele models also had the nicest looking streamlined, narrow blades of any from that era>> and possibly ever since.
justjohn

Post by justjohn »

I received the Sprint Model for Christmas. One of the best gifts I ever gave myself! :D
- John

:bug-red "Spyderco"...Vēnērunt, vīdērunt, vīcērunt :bug-red
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

justjohn wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:24 pm
I received the Sprint Model for Christmas. One of the best gifts I ever gave myself! :D
Which Christmas was that John :D ~~ :rolleyes: ??? It sure is nice to know that I, JD Spydo isn't the only one who dearly loves these old school, GOLDEN ERA Spyders.

I just got out my ATS-34 full SE version and it's just wonderful eye candy for sure.
justjohn

Post by justjohn »

Well played Sir! It was um.....let me think.....this one. :D
- John

:bug-red "Spyderco"...Vēnērunt, vīdērunt, vīcērunt :bug-red
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

justjohn wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:49 pm
Well played Sir! It was um.....let me think.....this one. :D
I'm pretty sure that the ATS-34 versions of the JD Smith were probably released in 99. I've been going through a 98 catalog today and the JD Smith wasn't in there. Or it could have been in the 2nd half of 1998 I suppose. Because it seems like 99 and early 2000 is when most of the ATS-55 units were out. And ATS-34 was done before ATS-55 I'm pretty sure of it.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Not to derail another thread, but how did I ever miss this knife! It’s got to be one of the most beautiful knives Spyderco made!

JD, if there was ever a time you made a thread about not shutting up this would be it!

Sal, please bring this back in it’s original form, micarta and SE hollow grind, and I don’t even care if it’s ATS! Maybe even a forum knife!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”