Spyderco MSRP Increase for 2021?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
captnvegtble

Spyderco MSRP Increase for 2021?

Post by captnvegtble »

I'm curious if Spyderco is planning a 2021 MSRP increase across their products as they've done in years past to adjust for increasing costs in production?
ladybug93

Re: Spyderco MSRP Increase for 2021?

Post by ladybug93 »

i would bet on it. their production costs increase on january 1st each year.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I know I'm not alone in hoping it doesn't happen again this year but it seems inevitable.

Also hoping MAP doesn't increase again. :o
-Nick :bug-red
JohnDoe99

Post by JohnDoe99 »

ladybug93 wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:57 pm
i would bet on it. their production costs increase on january 1st each year.
The price control was instituted to combat ebay and Amazon and prevent retailer constriction.
JohnDoe99

Post by JohnDoe99 »

captnvegtble wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:41 pm
I'm curious if Spyderco is planning a 2021 MSRP increase across their products as they've done in years past to adjust for increasing costs in production?
It was never because of production costs, and you wouldn't install a price control for "production costs" anyway. The price floor was instituted because ebay and amazon were growing too powerful. You only uniformly regulate a market like that to counter a very specific external threat.

If the other retailers died, as they surely would, then ebay and amazon control all delivery, and they are both profoundly anti-gun. Guns and knives overlap, so there is every reason to believe they would leverage that power "politically."
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

JohnDoe99 wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:31 pm
captnvegtble wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:41 pm
It was never because of production costs, and you wouldn't install a price control for "production costs" anyway. The price floor was instituted because ebay and amazon were growing too powerful. You only uniformly regulate a market like that to counter a very specific external threat.

If the other retailers died, as they surely would, then ebay and amazon control all delivery, and they are both profoundly anti-gun. Guns and knives overlap, so there is every reason to believe they would leverage that power "politically."
We're talking about two different things. Spyderco implemented the MAP to to help the end-line retailer and smaller businesses remain competitive (30% of MSRP is the MAP). What I'm asking about are annual production cost increases which have led Spyderco to increase MSRP by a certain percentage almost every year for the last few years... they didn't last year, but I suspect they might raise MSRP again come January 1, 2021... that's what I'm asking about.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

I hope not... prices for the production offerings are already high as it is. I shudder to think how high the Sprints and the Exclusives are going to cost if an increase is implemented.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

As the manager of a small business, I sincerely hope they do increase their prices in order to maintain their margins, and keep their suppliers and employees happy.

It's probably not the case that each and every Spyderco supplier increases their pricing on January 1st, though some may. It is the case though that small increases happen here or there every year, employees deserve raises here or there, and on top of everything, inflation goes up 3-5% each year.

Spyderco offers an excellent value with most of their products. I'm happy to pay a fair price for them.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
archangel

Post by archangel »

Noooooooo, please no........
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I was wondering the same thing. The drastic price increases over the past 5 years has reduced my Spyderco consumption considerably.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I expect the cost of MOST things to be increasing as companies struggle to stay afloat during this Covid crap.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:54 am
I was wondering the same thing. The drastic price increases over the past 5 years has reduced my Spyderco consumption considerably.
Agreed. I'm slowly getting priced out of new models.

I have to hunt sales, deals and second hand markets to play with what I do. I would not be able to experience half of that, at dealer prices.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:18 am
I expect the cost of MOST things to be increasing as companies struggle to stay afloat during this Covid crap.

With almost sold out dealer exclusives at the time of drop, sprint runs, and in-demand knives out of stock indicating the high level of demand, and even the seconds sale selling out only on the second day of three days, I doubt our beloved knife company would qualify as struggling to stay afloat. 😊
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:24 am
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:54 am
Agreed. I'm slowly getting priced out of new models.

I have to hunt sales, deals and second hand markets to play with what I do. I would not be able to experience half of that, at dealer prices.

Same here. And most of the time, it is even more expensive on the secondary market, especially with dealer exclusives. But you can get fair deals below retail pricing for some decent used models. Sometimes this is the most economical way of getting a good knife without spending too much especially in these economically uncertain times.

Just hoping for no price increases. Or if there is, some running changes to equate cost increase to knife value, like tighter centering tolerances, or maybe rounding off the knife spines or something to that regard. I'm just musing and these are petty opinions and of course this is first and foremost a business, and I appreciate that we fans are spoiled with steel choices that are not always available from the competition and that is something that will always be unique to Spyderco.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I sincerely hope not, but it’s inevitable that prices for all things are going to increase.

Increases in knife prices will probably not affect me much, because every knife I buy could be my last. I purchase very few knives anymore, even if there’s always something new that grabs my attention. I only bought one Spyderco knife this year, an Endela (my only other knife purchase was a Victorinox Alox Minichamp), and I have gone years without buying any new knives. I don’t go after all the sprints; in fact, the only sprint I’m interested in is the upcoming C-60. But even me going for that is not a 100% certainty.

Jim
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Didnt we get an official confirmation the last 2 years? I remember a price increase being confirmed or announced or something.

If prices go up, they go up... I would just like to know because it may effect whether I want to preorder some models before the start of the new year.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Just received an email from Knifecenter saying this is the last chance to get a Spyderco (or benchmade) at the current pricing before the price increases. :o

It's happening.
-Nick :bug-red
bouhunter

Post by bouhunter »

Mushroom wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:43 am
Just received an email from Knifecenter saying this is the last chance to get a Spyderco (or benchmade) at the current pricing before the price increases. :o

It's happening.
Yep, say's so right on Knife Centers home page. Benchmade too.
jdw

Post by jdw »

I am being quickly priced out of the Spydie market. I agree completely that they offer a quality product at a reasonable cost for them, but at this point I already have more Spydercos than I can use and buying them as part of my hobby is becoming financially unrealistic for me.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
araneae

Post by araneae »

It would be nice to have official word on what to expect. Its getting a bit unsustainable for me with MAP increases and regular price hikes. This year was mostly sprints that I really "had" to have, I don't think I bought a single new regular production model. Snagged a couple seconds from the sale. I have cut way back on Spydies, their cost is growing disproportionately to my income. To be honest, its getting a lot easier to buy Civivi's or Kizers lately.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal