Spyderco MSRP Increase for 2021?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
aicolainen

Re: Spyderco MSRP Increase for 2021?

Post by aicolainen »

If prices go up, I fairly certain Spyderco find it's required to maintain a comfortable margin.
Exclusives and sprints sell out as fast as ever, but thats probably not what's keeping the lights on.
Lot's of people have lost their jobs, or are living in great uncertainty - those people aren't (or shouldn't be) in the market for yet another knife.
At the same time, I would assume, the production side is similar. Uncertainty all over the line; production capacity, material availability, material costs, currency , import/export tariffs and so on..
If my guesstimates are even close to reality, I would as a maker expect the unit cost to go up (shrinking market and increasing production cost). The key (still guessing, here) would be too balance the price increase as to not shrink the market too much, as you would quickly lose whatever gain made through the price increase.
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

I got the Knifecenter email also, about the annual price increase. I’m curious as to why it’s just Spyderco and Benchmade? Why not ZT or Kershaw also? Seems strange?
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Hmm. Sounds like I will be buying less knives, then.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
prog_knife

Post by prog_knife »

Spyderco's got to keep up with inflation, just like the rest of us!

I reckon these price increases are mostly painful when you don't get a raise at your job. May you all get a nice raise and keep up with MAP in 2021 :cool:
-Evan
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Would prefer the retailers sell there 2020 stock at 2020 prices till gone ... then sell 2021 stock at 2021 prices. Suspect this would be difficult to impossible for the mothership to maintain watchful control of its retailers' pricing.

CG
Last edited by cycleguy on Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

The Meat man wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:23 pm
I see comments like this every year. Probably true for those who are making the comments but it sure seems like people are still buying these things like crazy. With all the new screen names we've been seeing lately I think it's more popular than ever

I know I've been trying to buy less but it's really only because I went overboard for a few years and now I have way more than I should have. Plus I'm getting back into shooting competitively and my fun money is being diverted there :)
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

I suppose you can look at your stimulus check as means to offset the 2021 MAP increase ... or you could earmark as a SpydieCheck and lose control!!!

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
JohnDoe99

Post by JohnDoe99 »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:19 pm
The Meat man wrote:
I see comments like this every year. Probably true for those who are making the comments but it sure seems like people are still buying these things like crazy. With all the new screen names we've been seeing lately I think it's more popular than ever
The used market on Ebay does a ton of transacting. I got back into Spyderco earlier this year before Ebay started collecting sales taxes, and every one I bought was second-hand from an individual and at a steep discount. Were it not for that, I wouldn't own a single Spyderco. Not only that but because I got a bunch at a good discount and with free shipping and no sales tax, I am proofed against wanting any more in the future. All I have to do is pop one of my steeply discounted Spydies in my pocket, and poof, I've got the dopamine rush of a new knife. Rotating really works.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Sharp Guy wrote:
The Meat man wrote:

I know I've been trying to buy less but it's really only because I went overboard for a few years and now I have way more than I should have. Plus I'm getting back into shooting competitively and my fun money is being diverted there :)
Oh, I'll still buy them. I guess what I meant was, I'm going to have to be a lot more choosy and careful about what I do buy. Which will probably mean less knives.
I hope the price increase is not too much higher than the 3 ~ 4% annual inflation rate. There are some Spyderco knives I would really like to buy, but are already pushing the limit of what I want to spend.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

JohnDoe99 wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:12 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
The Meat man wrote:
The used market on Ebay does a ton of transacting. I got back into Spyderco earlier this year before Ebay started collecting sales taxes, and every one I bought was second-hand from an individual and at a steep discount. Were it not for that, I wouldn't own a single Spyderco. Not only that but because I got a bunch at a good discount and with free shipping and no sales tax, I am proofed against wanting any more in the future. All I have to do is pop one of my steeply discounted Spydies in my pocket, and poof, I've got the dopamine rush of a new knife. Rotating really works.
Yeah I started out like that too. A friend sold me some really nice Spydies for a great deal. Then I started finding deals on the BF Exchange, then I started getting interested in other models, and it escalated from there lol. Now that I got back into one of my other hobbies I'll be down sizing a little by selling some of the duplicates (I don't need 6 PM2s in different flavors). There's still a few models I'd like to add to my collection though. So the struggle is real for me haha
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
eonbluemantra

Post by eonbluemantra »

How much of an increase are we talking percentage wise? And do these increases take place immediately?
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

The only model I plan to get next year is the Swick, so unless something very compelling pops up in the 2021 reveals, at least I get to save some money for a change.
JohnDoe99

Post by JohnDoe99 »

eonbluemantra wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:42 pm
How much of an increase are we talking percentage wise? And do these increases take place immediately?
They've been reducting the % off the msrp by 10%. So a s110v native with a $200 msrp costs $140 now (30%) off will cost $160 tomorrow.

Guess what though, Sal? I just bought a new s110v native off ebay for $96 plus sales tax. HAHA! I will NEVER pay the price control.
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

JohnDoe99 wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:56 am
eonbluemantra wrote:
They've been reducting the % off the msrp by 10%. So a s110v native with a $200 msrp costs $140 now (30%) off will cost $160 tomorrow.

Guess what though, Sal? I just bought a new s110v native off ebay for $96 plus sales tax. HAHA! I will NEVER pay the price control.
HAHA, you laugh now. Just wait until you get a fake or junk from Ebay. lol
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

JohnDoe99 wrote:
eonbluemantra wrote:

What's the over/under on that one being a fake? :p
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

eonbluemantra wrote:
Last year.. if I remember correctly (which may be a stretch at this point).. I think they kept the MSRPs the same and adjusted the MAP.. I think it worked out to be an increase of roughly 7% to the end user. Effective Jan 1. I'm not sure how, or even if, they will implement the change this year. The only news I've heard of the 2021 price increase is speculation here on the forum and posts by Knifecenter, which may well be a marketing ploy to sell knives..

I get that prices do and must go up and I can rationalize increases of a few cents or dollars here and there each year. That said, I was a bit taken aback by increase across the board last year. If the increase for 2021 is ~ 7%, as it was last year, the cost of a Delica will be nearly $90 on January 1st. I remember buying my first Delica for, I think $68, just a few years ago.. so that price increase over a period of only a few years seems absolutely monumental to me! I would have a really hard time wrapping my head around buying a new Delica in 2021, knowing that just a few years ago, I paid ~$20 less for it. I think that for someone who buys just one Spyderco, the value will always still be there. For someone who collects/buys many knives, I think the increased cost becomes becomes harder and harder to justify. I've noticed that I did personally become a lot more selective with my Spyderco purchases in 2020, and I imagine this will continue into 2021 and beyond..

All that aside, I have every intention of putting my stimulus check to good knife-related use this year, regardless of price increases :)
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

DSH007 wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:26 am
JohnDoe99 wrote:
eonbluemantra wrote:

What's the over/under on that one being a fake? :p
I sincerely hope it is........ :D
Kale

Post by Kale »

For some reason price increases don't get called "inflation" anymore, but that's what they are. When the Federal Reserve prints endless trillions for Wall Street, this is one way we pay for that (the other being lost income when the bubble bursts). In the 9 months since passage of the last bailout (CARES Act), billionaire net worth is up 20%... during a pandemic, no less. Inflation is the hidden tax, by which our wealth is redistributed to our betters at the top. I have nothing against rich people, but I'm pretty sure they don't need our help. /rant
Kale

Post by Kale »

JohnDoe99 wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:31 pm
-snip-
If the other retailers died, as they surely would, then ebay and amazon control all delivery, and they are both profoundly anti-gun. Guns and knives overlap, so there is every reason to believe they would leverage that power "politically."

Very true. Amazon has already stopped most pocket knife sales in my state (Massachusetts), thanks thanks to an agreement with the AG (who has long prevented the sale of new Glock handguns, on the grounds that they have unsafe triggers). It's unbelievable that there are now sub-2.5 inch knives (legal to carry in every MA city) that I can't buy on Amazon. Although it seems that I can still buy ladybugs and some of the more task-specific Salt models.

I've got other issues with Amazon, but I'll just leave it at that. ;)
Big50

Post by Big50 »

prog_knife wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:40 pm
Spyderco's got to keep up with inflation, just like the rest of us!

I reckon these price increases are mostly painful when you don't get a raise at your job. May you all get a nice raise and keep up with MAP in 2021 :cool:
Since getting into knives (around 2016), my average annual pay increase as been in the neighborhood of 2%. Supposedly that’s in line with the US inflation rate.

Seems to me it’s been quite a bit steeper in the US-based knife market. It is, what it is.

I’m not throwing a bomb at anyone in specific, but as a consumer....well....It is, what it is..

And yes, my purchases have gone down accordingly, perhaps even disproportionately.

ETA: I would MUCH MUCH MUCH rather scale back my purchases than see quality and innovation decrease, or manufacturing be moved to PRC.
Last edited by Big50 on Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:28 am, edited 3 times in total.