Help me pick my new Spyderco knife.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Help me pick a Spyderco.

Poll ended at Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:10 pm

Manix 2 XL
33%
Native Chief
48%
Other of similar size and price
19%

Total votes: 42

BLUETYPEII

Help me pick my new Spyderco knife.

Post by BLUETYPEII »

Hi everyone,

I’m looking to purchase a new Spyderco it’s going to be between the standard version of the Manix 2 XL or the Native Chief.

If someone has a suggestion of a similar size and price Spyderco please suggest it.

Pros and cons of the models in comparison of each other would be a good thing too.

Thanks everyone!
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
MacLaren

Re: Help me pick my new Spyderco knife.

Post by MacLaren »

XL Manix
vivi

Post by vivi »

You can guess my pick.

I like how exposed the opening hole is on the Manix compared to the Chief.

Both are nice models you can't go wrong with.
Last edited by vivi on Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:unicorn
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Depends on your usage, both will perform well!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

XL Manix is a lot of knife for the money imo
And, she performs remarkably well too
Nothing against your other pic
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

vivi wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:39 pm
You cana guess my pick.

vivi I don’t know if you have the answer but... is the lock any more difficult to disengage on the XL than the regular sized Manix 2 light weight?

(Edit for typo)
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
vivi

Post by vivi »

BLUETYPEII wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:36 pm
vivi wrote:
You cana guess my pick.

vivi I don’t know if you have the answer but... is the lock any more difficult to disengage on the XL than the regular sized Manix 2 light weight?

(Edit for typo)
Not in my experience. All my caged ball lock knives started out just a bit stiff to unlock, but broke in nicely within a month. Much like a lockback. Pikal, Manix 2, and Manix 2 XL.

The different handle size may make it tougher or easier depending on your hand size, but the movement of the locking mechanism itself feels identical.
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

CHIEF CHIEF CHIEF.

I mean the ball bearing lock is great. But have you seen the chief? That knife is hot.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

vivi wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:43 pm
BLUETYPEII wrote:
vivi wrote:
You cana guess my pick.

(Edit for typo)
Not in my experience. All my caged ball lock knives started out just a bit stiff to unlock, but broke in nicely within a month. Much like a lockback. Pikal, Manix 2, and Manix 2 XL.

The different handle size may make it tougher or easier depending on your hand size, but the movement of the locking mechanism itself feels identical.
C45B6F83-FBDD-4EA4-BBF7-CE89E4145F04.jpeg
The thing is. This is how I hold the Manix 2 Lightweight when I unlock it. With the end of the handle buried into my palm. That’s the only way I can get enough leverage to actuate the lock consistently. It kind of feels unnatural and it’s why I don’t carry it more.

With this in mind do you think the XL is going to be too big for my medium sized hands with my modest finger strength to unlock.
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Chief.
Or a police 4 k390.

I try to like the manix 2 xl but its hard to love. Its amazing for hard use/ borderline abuse, but I dont like it in edc capacity.
Its big, heavy, and a pocket hog. I do think the lock on it does not work as well with the bigger handle. Im not going to call it difficult to use, but I will call it less enjoyable.
The ergos are good but force your hand into a locked in position. The ergos on the chief are much more nuetral.

I also think the chief will see more sprints/ exclusives/ steel upgrades in the future.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
vivi

Post by vivi »

BLUETYPEII wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:12 pm
vivi wrote:
BLUETYPEII wrote:
vivi wrote:
You cana guess my pick.

(Edit for typo)

The thing is. This is how I hold the Manix 2 Lightweight when I unlock it. With the end of the handle buried into my palm. That’s the only way I can get enough leverage to actuate the lock consistently. It kind of feels unnatural and it’s why I don’t carry it more.

With this in mind do you think the XL is going to be too big for my medium sized hands with my modest finger strength to unlock.
There's less than half an inch difference in closed lengths between the two models, and its not 100% at the rear IIRC. I think you'd be ok.
vivi

Post by vivi »

VooDooChild wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:13 pm
Chief.
Or a police 4 k390.

I try to like the manix 2 xl but its hard to love. Its amazing for hard use/ borderline abuse, but I dont like it in edc capacity.
Its big, heavy, and a pocket hog. I do think the lock on it does not work as well with the bigger handle. Im not going to call it difficult to use, but I will call it less enjoyable.
The ergos are good but force your hand into a locked in position. The ergos on the chief are much more nuetral.

I also think the chief will see more sprints/ exclusives/ steel upgrades in the future.
The Police is the best large folder Spyderco makes it terms of ease of carry. No competition really. Manix XL is a lot thicker and wider, Military with the tip up carry has the thumb ramp poking into my hand when I reach into the same pocket, and most the others they make in this range are pretty heavy.

I find the Military and Manix work better clipped to a side of the leg pocket, or IWB where width is no
issue, and the Police works best carried tip up RH front pocket. What I'm wearing often determines which one I grab.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

vivi wrote:
BLUETYPEII wrote:
vivi wrote:
BLUETYPEII wrote:

(Edit for typo)

There's less than half an inch difference in closed lengths between the two models, and its not 100% at the rear IIRC. I think you'd be ok.
I m not so sure. I have large hands but I cant seem to jam the backend of the m2xl into my palm like I can on the regular manix 2. Part of it is the shape of the xl at the rear. It slopes down on the back of the handle and makes it want to slide out when I try to hold it the same way to close it.

Because of this I find myself having to grip it slightly differently to close it. I will say the lock on the manix 2 lightweights is more difficult to engage than the lock on the xl. So I dont think finger strength should matter.

Once again, I wont call the xl difficult to disengage, but I dont like it.

Also vivi supposedly has monster hands.
Last edited by VooDooChild on Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

VooDooChild wrote:
Chief.
Or a police 4 k390.

Have a Police Lightweight in VG-10. I really like it. When I carry it, it’s for SD not EDC though so I really couldn’t tell you how it performs.

I’m thinking about putting the Police into an EDC role but the clip hangs up viciously on my pocket. I’m wondering if a long Lynch Clip would hit the handle in the same spot.
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

vivi wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:28 pm
VooDooChild wrote:
Chief.
Or a police 4 k390.

The Police is the best large folder Spyderco makes it terms of ease of carry. No competition really. Manix XL is a lot thicker and wider, Military with the tip up carry has the thumb ramp poking into my hand when I reach into the same pocket, and most the others they make in this range are pretty heavy.

I find the Military and Manix work better clipped to a side of the leg pocket, or IWB where width is no
issue, and the Police works best carried tip up RH front pocket. What I'm wearing often determines which one I grab.
I tend to stick with right front pocket and I know that affects my opinion on edc preferences.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

BLUETYPEII wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:32 pm
VooDooChild wrote:
Chief.
Or a police 4 k390.

Have a Police Lightweight in VG-10. I really like it. When I carry it, it’s for SD not EDC though so I really couldn’t tell you how it performs.

I’m thinking about putting the Police into an EDC role but the clip hangs up viciously on my pocket. I’m wondering if a long Lynch Clip would hit the handle in the same spot.
Just use it. Its such a good large slicer.

I do think the flat spot where the clip sits isnt quite big enough or could have been done better. But it also doesnt effect my ability to draw it from the pocket or put it in the pocket. I just stopped thinking about it and stopped noticing it.
vivi

Post by vivi »

the clip position isn't optimal on the LW Police, but a little sanding goes a long way.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

BLUETYPEII wrote:
vivi wrote:
BLUETYPEII wrote:
vivi wrote:
You cana guess my pick.

(Edit for typo)

in my experience, the cbbl is easier to use on the g10 models than on the lw models, so you don't need to worry about planting the back of the handle in your palm for leverage like you do on the lw.

another option not listed is the caribbean. it's a much smaller knife and has a shorter blade, but it has a longer cutting edge than either of the two listed. it's worth a look.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I like the Manix 2 XL and I still own one. It's a big knife and take a lot of room in the pocket. I would like to try the Chief in person to see what it's like.
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

ladybug93 wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:38 pm
BLUETYPEII wrote:
vivi wrote:
BLUETYPEII wrote:

(Edit for typo)

in my experience, the cbbl is easier to use on the g10 models than on the lw models, so you don't need to worry about planting the back of the handle in your palm for leverage like you do on the lw.

another option not listed is the caribbean. it's a much smaller knife and has a shorter blade, but it has a longer cutting edge than either of the two listed. it's worth a look.
I own th Caribbean leaf PE. One of my favorites, can’t recommend it enough.
1 Byrd and 30 “others”