Oh to be in love again...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
toocool006

Re: Oh to be in love again...

Post by toocool006 »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:47 pm

Custom scales are everywhere at this point, I’ve got some natural g-10 on mine.

Would you mind sharing where you sourced your natural G10 scales? I have seen the gorgeous wood scales out there, but I'd prefer a G10 substitute for the texture and durability. Also considering sanding down the stock scales, but I'd prefer G10 with peel ply for grip. Thanks!
~andrew
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Can also confirm that the Watu is an excellent "knife fan's knife". The thin stock, thin grind, and wear-resistant steel make for superb performance. Add to that the fact that it's compact, comfy to use, and lightweight....well, I was overjoyed to get a second one from the Calendar Contest. ;)
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Ez556 wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:54 am
I just can't get over the fact you said you couldn't bring it on a hike because its not stainless enough, even to the point of suggesting it would cease to function for you if it weren't for a ceramic detent ball! :eek: Granted, its not LC200N, but 20CV is certainly towards the top of the list for stainless steels! I know you are a big fan of LC200N, but my goodness thats a high standard!
refer to my previous replies on this, also the ceramic ball only helps.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

toocool006 wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:02 am
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:47 pm

Custom scales are everywhere at this point, I’ve got some natural g-10 on mine.

Would you mind sharing where you sourced your natural G10 scales? I have seen the gorgeous wood scales out there, but I'd prefer a G10 substitute for the texture and durability. Also considering sanding down the stock scales, but I'd prefer G10 with peel ply for grip. Thanks!
Mine are from Karbidize. But with how simple the design is I'm sure most any cnc scale maker could accommodate you.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v