Oh to be in love again...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Abyss_Fish

Oh to be in love again...

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Since I’ve bought the Watu, nothing else will do. It is the most exceptional “edc” oriented folding knife I’ve owned.

Is it a hard use knife? Well no, not really. It’s in a not made of a particularly tough steel and has a delicate tip, it won’t really hold up to extreme abuse well.
Is it rust proof? Could I bring it on a hike? again, no. Although the ceramic detent ball would help it continue to function I suppose.
It’s a combat knife then surely? Nah, it’s slicey but the handle has no jimping and there’s not much blade.
Well what’s it good for then? Just boxes and packages? Yep that’s it, but it does it better than anything else.

The watu is so gorgeously focused on what it’s built for. And nothing I’ve used so far has done it’s job so well. You could slap a few different locks and handle materials on it and I’d replace most of my collection with Watus. A backlock and bolstered burlwood for fancy occasions. A ball bearing lock and rex45 model for light bashing. An frn handled single bar comp lock lc200n model for salty occasions. An S90v full Ti framelock version for nerds like myself. The only discernible flaw with the design is the standard peel ply cf, which is an aesthetic concern that I fixed quickly.

My point is. I’m in love. I am excited for upcoming models like the smallfly 2, the maple chap, and the BBB colab. But there’s not a chance any of them will get more pocket time than my Watu.

Am I alone in feeling like this with a knife? What knife could you not live without?
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Sumdumguy

Re: Oh to be in love again...

Post by Sumdumguy »

Wish I knew! Ask my wife...
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
pkennethv

Post by pkennethv »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:53 pm
Since I’ve bought the Watu, nothing else will do. It is the most exceptional “edc” oriented folding knife I’ve owned.

Which were some of your previous favorite knives in the same category? Particularly interested in how you feel about the Watu vs PM2 or Para 3 (LW) if you've had/have them.
kobold

Post by kobold »

I am like that with my Chaparrals. It is sometimes my secondary, but mostly my primary when I leave home.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
brj

Post by brj »

I pretty much feel the same about the Watu.

It might be 'the' EDC. Not too small, not too big. Secure in hand even with the bare minimum of jimping due to the reversed-coffin shape of the handle. Works great for controlled draw-cutting (while on trail I've done some makeshift skewers to cook sausages over open fire, so I guess it worked for me even as a hike knife, come to think about it). Great steel for EDC purposes, like the entire family (have been using for years a M390 Millie as one of my regular EDCs). Thin blade with pointy tip, what's not to like. Open back and the lateral holes make cleaning a breeze.

Soo many words, it must be love. And it does feel a bit like cheating whenever I'm using it over one of my regular Millies :)
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

You cannot bring it on a hike?

I regret not buying a Chockwe when they were readily available. I like the aesthetics quite a bit.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

The Watu has some of my favorite blade design qualities. :) It’s a knife that definitely calls for more variations, like those wood handles, or maybe even a “reunion” of sorts with it’s bigger sibling!
I don’t know how sales have been (it seems a little underrated), but the reviews are positive.
I also really want to see a fixed blade version that keeps the modern make and materials. :cool:
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:58 am

I regret not buying a Chockwe when they were readily available. I like the aesthetics quite a bit.
I thought the same thing. In my experience, hiking is not very knife intensive

I handled the Watu at the SFO in November and definitely want one. Sal did a great job translating the design into a smaller package.
-Nick :bug-red
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Watu is definitely on my radar. I was actually hoping to get one through the seconds sale but didn't see them come up.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

It's definitely on my wish list. I'm sure I'll own one eventually.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

pkennethv wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:00 pm
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:53 pm

Which were some of your previous favorite knives in the same category? Particularly interested in how you feel about the Watu vs PM2 or Para 3 (LW) if you've had/have them.
I’ve had a few favorites, carried a bm valet for a while, then a Griptilian, then a spydiechef, then a native, then a rhino, then a weird russian bali... Nothing (except maybe the rhino) cut as well though. And none were as comfortable to carry and hold. Also I’m not into the para series really. Knives with that extreme vertical thumb ramp just don’t fit my hands, mostly because my fingers are so long. That includes the most of the seki models, but I still try them occasionally.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Just because it won’t hold up to much outdoor abuse and it doesn’t have any particular rust resistant qualities. I always bring my waterway on hikes, nothing else.
Lightly insane.

Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:15 am
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Just because it won’t hold up to much outdoor abuse and it doesn’t have any particular rust resistant qualities. I always bring my waterway on hikes, nothing else.
To be fair, 20cv is deep into the upper echelons of corrosion resistant knife steels.

Same league as M390 and S110V.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

I like it, but looks like the Pattadese is going to be everything the Watu is and more, for me.
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Sumdumguy wrote: To be fair, 20cv is deep into the upper echelons of corrosion resistant knife steels.

Same league as M390 and S110V.
I understand where it sits. Regardless I’ve had 20cv rust on me before, and I wouldn’t want to introduce any unnecessary grime into Taichhng’s slightly more complex comp lock.

jpm2 wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:47 am
I like it, but looks like the Pattadese is going to be everything the Watu is and more, for me.
That one is going to be super interesting. I’m gonna wait for it to get into people’s hands though, the liner lock access looks a touch low to me.
Lightly insane.

jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:24 pm
jpm2 wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:47 am
That one is going to be super interesting. I’m gonna wait for it to get into people’s hands though, the liner lock access looks a touch low to me.
Yes it looks like the area up close to the pivot will be more neutral. This is where a lot of control from my fingers or thumb is constantly manipulating the position of the knife in my hand as I am working. eg: rolling, angle adjustments, moving the hand up/down the handle, etc.
It might work better for me than the typical liner lock.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

I really enjoy the Watu, and even consider it to be the best EDC Spyderco makes. The only thing holding it back from greatness is the G10 laminate. It just needed to be 100% Smooth CF out of the gate.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I'd love to find that knife, that takes your breath away and causes your pulse to race 😊
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Dazen wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:30 pm
I really enjoy the Watu, and even consider it to be the best EDC Spyderco makes. The only thing holding it back from greatness is the G10 laminate. It just needed to be 100% Smooth CF out of the gate.
Custom scales are everywhere at this point, I’ve got some natural g-10 on mine. Or you could make your own, it’s a fairly simple shape. Heck you could just sand down the stock scales to get smooth g-10. This model is well worth putting some extra work into imo.
Lightly insane.

Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

I just can't get over the fact you said you couldn't bring it on a hike because its not stainless enough, even to the point of suggesting it would cease to function for you if it weren't for a ceramic detent ball! :eek: Granted, its not LC200N, but 20CV is certainly towards the top of the list for stainless steels! I know you are a big fan of LC200N, but my goodness thats a high standard!
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.