What the heck is this??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TkoK83Spy

What the heck is this??

Post by TkoK83Spy »

A friend at work came down with this thing today...nothing I've ever seen before. The paperwork it came with said it's an S90V blade with TI scales. I suspect it's a fake. He said he got it off of some ebay or facebook group? I've never seen anything like it. Anybody else see these around anywhere?

Resized_20201215_150307.jpeg
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
The Meat man

Re: What the heck is this??

Post by The Meat man »

I suspect it's fake. Looks interesting, though.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

That’s absolutely a fake.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

It could be an elaborate custom job, I’ve seen a lot of barely recognizable spydercos out on the interwebs. And all those parts certainly exist on their own. But I’m suspicious about anything that comes from ebay, so I’d say guilty til’ proven innocent in this situation.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
pkennethv

Post by pkennethv »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:17 pm
It could be an elaborate custom job, I’ve seen a lot of barely recognizable spydercos out on the interwebs. And all those parts certainly exist on their own. But I’m suspicious about anything that comes from ebay, so I’d say guilty til’ proven innocent in this situation.

Pretty much what I was going to say. It could be a custom job along the lines of this
https://www.knivesplus.com/modified-spy ... inish.html
ChopSliceStab

Post by ChopSliceStab »

One vote for custom PM2. The bug lanyard seems like an unnecessary (and costly) extra step for a fake, unless your buddy put it on.

Does the grind cross the spideyhole in a consistent location on a given knife model? The grind on the PM2 in my pocket covers more of the hole than on that one.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Cerakote and custom scales could make that a reality but fake is also likely.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

It looks like a complete fake. The blade laks the "Spyderco + type of steel" engraving.
Si vis pacem para bellum ;)
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Yikes, idk! Hah, I realize that there is a lot of customization that goes on with Spydercos these days, especially with PM2s.. the scales are obviously aftermarket (are there no threaded pocket clip inserts, or is that just weird lighting?), so that is what it is I guess.. the "custom" blade coating covers any Spyderco markings (if they existed) and does not appear to be ground especially well.. I may be wrong, but every instinct I have is shouting "FAKE!!" The social media aspect of it seems pretty suspect all-around to me. Maybe the paperwork authenticates the work/mods/steel/etc in some way we're not seeing? Hope he didn't pay too much for it!
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
RadioactiveSpyder

Good lord guys, it’s not a custom job!! The screw holes are in the wrong position on the scales! It’s so clearly a fake it’s not even funny.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:12 pm
A friend at work came down with this thing today...nothing I've ever seen before. The paperwork it came with said it's an S90V blade with TI scales. I suspect it's a fake. He said he got it off of some ebay or facebook group? I've never seen anything like it. Anybody else see these around anywhere?

Resized_20201215_150307.jpeg

Documentation can be falsified even more easily. It is much easier to produce false documents (with a computer, a photocomposition program and a good printer, even banknotes are counterfeited) than it is to reproduce a blade.
Si vis pacem para bellum ;)
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Knives like that make me wonder why I don't spend every nickel on mods.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Yea I instantly thought of fake as well. He spent $120 on it, so it sucked to tell him...but, it's the same guy that I posted about here... viewtopic.php?f=2&t=87646

I guess he just doesn't learn! Should know he can come to me with any questions prior to buying something! Even if I don't know the answer, I know I've got all of you to fall back on.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
ChopSliceStab

Post by ChopSliceStab »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:57 pm
Good lord guys, it’s not a custom job!! The screw holes are in the wrong position on the scales! It’s so clearly a fake it’s not even funny.
They're in the exact same position as they are on mine. Maybe I got a fake at the seconds sale?
RadioactiveSpyder

The screw holes on the pivot side are the dead giveaway. They are: too large overall, the bottom two are spaced too close to the pivot, and the top hole is too close to the edge of the scale.

The other obvious (and awful) giveaway is that blade. Note the shape of the ricasso line as it goes through the Spyderhole, clearly the wrong angle compared to a true PM2. I checked my forum S90V blade and it has the same straight ricasso line.

Leading to the claim it’s a S90V blade. Those have been offered twice as a PM2: the original peel ply CF sprint that goes for $400-$500 on the secondary market and the 2018 Spyderco forum PM2. I just mentioned I double-checked my forum S90V blade and that whole straight ricasso deal... The forum PM2 also has quite a bit of text engraving on the blade, plus obviously a Spyderco bug logo, none of which is evident on this blade (some subtle hint of it would likely still be visible under the cerakote).

Glad you scored a factory second PM2, they’re awesome knives. I’ve had close to 30 of them now and know them literally like the back of my hand. The pic the OP posted instantaneously said fake to me, but that’s just my (extensive) experience. Cheers, Radioactive
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

They need to take all of those jerks who counterfeit Spyderco knives and give them some really hard time. Especially anyone who attempts to desecrate the Great Spyder Factory like this dunce bucket tried to do. I consider that a more serious crime than counterfeiting money. Great Spyderco models look much more aesthetically pleasing than any Federal Reserve Notes ever did. So the punishment should fit the crime.

The unmitigated gall that some of these low lives have stooped to :mad:
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

It's genuine, it's been heavily customized, and it's a pre-CQI example with the more slanted plunge grind.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Pkennethv

Welcome to our forum.

sal
RadioactiveSpyder

Nope, all S90V blades have that K390-style straighter ricasso line. This is the first S90V blade:

PStone

Post by PStone »

So fake. Just look at the choil and ramp jimping in the OP pic. That alone screams fake.