Manix 2 LW CPM SPY27 now shipping to dealers!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sharp Guy

Re: Manix 2 LW CPM SPY27 now shipping to dealers!

Post by Sharp Guy »

nerdlock wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:27 am
Bolster wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:04 pm
Is there a thread discussing advantages of drilling rivets and replacing w screws? At this point i dont understand why youd do that.

This mod is a must with non-stainless tool steels like REX 45 and Maxamet where rust can develop at the pivot area of the blade. Only way to properly maintain that area in the Manix 2 LW series is to completely dismantle the knife and clean/put mineral oil/your choice CLP/rust protectant in there. Since it is riveted, though...
I have nothing against doing the mod but not sure I'd call it a "must". I think it depends on how you use your knives with tool steel blades. I have several knives with tool steels and haven't had a spec of rust on one yet. If I was afraid of getting rust around the pivot area I'd squirt a little CLP inside and use it
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:16 pm
nerdlock wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:27 am
Bolster wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:04 pm
Is there a thread discussing advantages of drilling rivets and replacing w screws? At this point i dont understand why youd do that.

This mod is a must with non-stainless tool steels like REX 45 and Maxamet where rust can develop at the pivot area of the blade. Only way to properly maintain that area in the Manix 2 LW series is to completely dismantle the knife and clean/put mineral oil/your choice CLP/rust protectant in there. Since it is riveted, though...
I have nothing against doing the mod but not sure I'd call it a "must". I think it depends on how you use your knives with tool steel blades. I have several knives with tool steels and haven't had a spec of rust on one yet. If I was afraid of getting rust around the pivot area I'd squirt a little CLP inside and use it

Depends on where you live I guess...here in the tropics, my M4s and Rex45 would start pitting if I leave them out of my sight just for a bit. Ok, I'm exaggerating there lol... But with our humid weather, rust can quickly develop in out of sight areas like the pivot assembly. Quite the reason why I'm avoiding Manix 2 LWs especially the Rex and the Maxamet versions.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
vivi

Post by vivi »

Can't you remove the blade? I thought the pivot was screw construction. Been a while since I owned the smaller version.
:unicorn
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

vivi wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:00 pm
Can't you remove the blade? I thought the pivot was screw construction. Been a while since I owned the smaller version.
I've been told that even though the pivot is screwed, it's inset into the FRCP on both sides so you'd have to pry the scales apart to get it out. It may be doable, but risky.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

JuPaul wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:06 am
In stock at REC:
https://riversedgecutlery.com/products/ ... spy27.html

Still available at REC . . . :spyder:
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I received mine from KC a few minutes ago. Definitely a nice color. Not sure what to call it exactly. Emerald Green? Regardless, I like it
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:24 pm
I received mine from KC a few minutes ago. Definitely a nice color. Not sure what to call it exactly. Emerald Green? Regardless, I like it
Kind of a teal? Looks nice to me.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Surfingringo wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:39 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Yes but I think it's darker (more green?) than the teal Delica and Dragonfly. I don't have those teal models to compare it to but based on the stock photos I think I'm correct. I'll try to post a pic in a little while

EDIT: ok here's a pic. The light above my workbench has color correct bulbs but my phone made it look more blue than it really is. So I dialed the tint back just a hair and I think it's pretty close to how it looks in person.

JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:48 pm
Surfingringo wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:39 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Yes but I think it's darker (more green?) than the teal Delica and Dragonfly. I don't have those teal models to compare it to but based on the stock photos I think I'm correct. I'll try to post a pic in a little while

EDIT: ok here's a pic. The light above my workbench has color correct bulbs but my phone made it look more blue than it really is. So I dialed the tint back just a hair and I think it's pretty close to how it looks in person.

Do you have any seki k390 models? The color looks very similar. No big deal, just curious. I'll know soon enough as I've got the Manix lw inbound from REC.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

JuPaul wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:37 pm
Do you have any seki k390 models? The color looks very similar. No big deal, just curious. I'll know soon enough as I've got the Manix lw inbound from REC.
I haven't ordered any of the Seki K390 models yet. I plan to but there's been too many other expenditures lately and, since they're regular production models, I figure it can wait.

From the picture you posted I actually think it looks closer to your dyed Stretch. In fact I have some Teal Rit dye and I was thinking of doing the same to my SS Stretch. Not sure if I will now that I have this Manix.
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

I dont have a Manix 2 LW but this is the one I would, or will get. I like the color and dont have any Spy27. The pinned construction is the only thing kind of holding me back.

Why is the G10 version screwed, and the LW pinned?
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

SpyderGrill wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:45 pm
I dont have a Manix 2 LW but this is the one I would, or will get. I like the color and dont have any Spy27. The pinned construction is the only thing kind of holding me back.

Seems like a lot of people are getting hung up on this. Don't let the pinned construction hold you back. This is my 5th Manix 2 LW and I've never had any issues with any of them. I also have G10 versions and I've never had to take one of those apart either. Yes, being able to take one apart is a nice option to have if you need it but I have well over 100 knives (closer to 150 at the moment) and rarely have I actually needed to. Thinking about it...I've taken several apart but I only two I've really needed to. One was fix a detent ball and the other was to fix a weak detent.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

- Julia

JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:39 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:37 pm
I haven't ordered any of the Seki K390 models yet. I plan to but there's been too many other expenditures lately and, since they're regular production models, I figure it can wait.

From the picture you posted I actually think it looks closer to your dyed Stretch. In fact I have some Teal Rit dye and I was thinking of doing the same to my SS Stretch. Not sure if I will now that I have this Manix.
Thanks! I'll add the manix into that comparison pic and post it here once it arrives.
- Julia

JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Merry Christmas to me! My Manix arrived today, super fast from REC. Here is another color comparison with a few pics in different light. From left to right: spy27 para3 lw, k390 endela, spy27 manix lw, SS stretch (teal RIT dyed), s30v "teal" endura.

Edit to add: th Manix lw I received is excellent, btw. Perfect action, zero blade play.
- Julia

SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:42 pm
SpyderGrill wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:45 pm

Seems like a lot of people are getting hung up on this. Don't let the pinned construction hold you back. This is my 5th Manix 2 LW and I've never had any issues with any of them. I also have G10 versions and I've never had to take one of those apart either. Yes, being able to take one apart is a nice option to have if you need it but I have well over 100 knives (closer to 150 at the moment) and rarely have I actually needed to. Thinking about it...I've taken several apart but I only two I've really needed to. One was fix a detent ball and the other was to fix a weak detent.
My Dragonfly H1 detent was so weak I was going to send it back. No spring back action into the scales. I took it apart, cleaned, oiled and it is snappy shut now.

Blade is not centered, but not rubbing scales either.

If this was pinned, I would not be able to fix it.

That would cost me and Spyderco money
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

I have 3 G10 Manix 2's and an XL, I really like them, maybe my favorite Spyderco ATM.

My question is why the LW is pinned, and the G10 is screwed?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The "Teal" Endura, Delica, and Dragonfly are actually Aqua, not teal. Teal is more green and darker.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

I like the colour on this one.
Maybe my next knife. Yes, I am considering it even with my so-so relationship with wire clip.
It is listed for 160 € on Lamnia. Lot of money, but hey....maybe this will be my one folder for 2021.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I am seriously considering this knife. Questions:

(1) Is it possible to replace its wire clip with the deeper carry wire clip? As you'd find on the Caly 3.5?
(2) I assume FRCP without liners is still plenty tough? Any reports of these handles breaking, blade loosening with time?
(3) Those of you who own this knife, what do you think of Spy's proprietary steel? Can you say it's similar to some other steel to give me a reference point?

Thanks!