Manix 2 LW CPM SPY27 now shipping to dealers!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Re: Manix 2 LW CPM SPY27 now shipping to dealers!

Post by sal »

I've been carrying one for a few days now. Frankly, I could care less about the color, but I really like the design (of course I'm partial) and it's a bigger chunk of the steel than my Para 3 and I really like the steel. Of course I'm partial there as well.

sal
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I really want to try this steel and see what it’s all about. I was going to get a para 3 LW but I think the Manix LW might be a better platform for me. I was never a huge fan of the g10 Manix and then I got the Manix LW in Maxamet. The LW version of the Manix is like a completely different design. I don’t know what it is about that knife but it finds its way into my pocket more than almost any knife I own (well...except for one ;) )
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:23 pm
I like the new color, but don't think I'll get another Manix 2 LW until I work out the process for drilling out the rivets and replacing them with screws.

The best 'trick' I have found, Tom. Is to use a very small carbide burr in a Dremel. Slowly grinding a little bit of the head of the rivet off at a time. I grind some on one, and then move on to another. Never letting the rivet get hot. Rotating from one to another, until the top is so thin, it just pops off. Concentrating on the center, because of course that's the only place that it makes a connection. Then, I just push the stem through. No heat = no melt. No drill = no rotating! :D
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

sal wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:55 pm
I've been carrying one for a few days now. Frankly, I could care less about the color, but I really like the design (of course I'm partial) and it's a bigger chunk of the steel than my Para 3 and I really like the steel. Of course I'm partial there as well.

sal

Thank you Sal. It is exciting for me to finally get my hands on this steel, and give it a workout. I've been waiting on this particular knife model, to do just that. :)

Can you tell us please, what the target range hardness is for this new SPY27?
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

SteveMidwest wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:25 pm
sal wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:55 pm

sal

Thank you Sal. It is exciting for me to finally get my hands on this steel, and give it a workout. I've been waiting on this particular knife model, to do just that. :)

Can you tell us please, what the target range hardness is for this new SPY27?

IIRC BBB tested it around 62.
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

If you're near the SFO, I saw one in the display case, today.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

SteveMidwest wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:20 pm
Tucson Tom wrote:
I like the new color, but don't think I'll get another Manix 2 LW until I work out the process for drilling out the rivets and replacing them with screws.

The best 'trick' I have found, Tom. Is to use a very small carbide burr in a Dremel. Slowly grinding a little bit of the head of the rivet off at a time. I grind some on one, and then move on to another. Never letting the rivet get hot. Rotating from one to another, until the top is so thin, it just pops off. Concentrating on the center, because of course that's the only place that it makes a connection. Then, I just push the stem through. No heat = no melt. No drill = no rotating! :D
Thanks!!

I was thinking of using a carbide end-mill (in my mill) or carbide burr in my Dremel. I just need to track down the screws I need to use. Once I get those, I'll have at it! I'm doing my Rex-45 LW first, then I'll get me one of these. What you say about not rotating makes sense and points to using the Dremel.

If I can just track down those screws.
attila

Post by attila »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:17 pm
SteveMidwest wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:20 pm
Tucson Tom wrote:

Thanks!!

I was thinking of using a carbide end-mill (in my mill) or carbide burr in my Dremel. I just need to track down the screws I need to use. Once I get those, I'll have at it! I'm doing my Rex-45 LW first, then I'll get me one of these. What you say about not rotating makes sense and points to using the Dremel.

I believe these are the best option for this job, as they should be just the right length. Unfortunately, they’re out of stock at the moment.
https://usaknifemaker.com/pivot-barrel- ... bh-ss.html

These other two options are a bit longer and I think require trimming, but at least they are in stock.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

attila wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:46 am
Tucson Tom wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:17 pm
Tucson Tom wrote:
I believe these are the best option for this job, as they should be just the right length. Unfortunately, they’re out of stock at the moment.

These other two options are a bit longer and I think require trimming, but at least they are in stock.
This is wonderful. Thank you Atilla!

I can easily trim these to length on my lathe, so this is absolutely perfect. I'll place an order shortly.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

•• Beau
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Call me colour blind but it looks green to me not ... “mineral blue”...
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Is there a thread discussing advantages of drilling rivets and replacing w screws? At this point i dont understand why youd do that.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Bolster wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:04 pm
Is there a thread discussing advantages of drilling rivets and replacing w screws? At this point i dont understand why youd do that.
So they can take it apart when the want. I haven't needed to take one apart yet but it is a nice option to have if you need it
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Bolster wrote:
My current Manix 2 LW has a sticky lock. Not bad enough where I feel like bugging Spyderco about it, but enough to irritate me. On top of that it is the Rex45 sprint, so I don't expect there is much chance of getting it replaced with one that works smoothly.

I have several G10 Manix 2 that are smooth as silk and it just bugs me that this one is the way it is, so I want to take it apart and find out what the problem is. I have already tried all the usual things (lube, letting it break in, etc.).

If it worked as nicely as my G10 Manix 2 knives, I wouldn't mess with it -- but there is Murphy's law for you. As soon as you buy something with rivets, you will need to take it apart.
gpo1956

Post by gpo1956 »

I’ve watched a couple of videos where this mod is done, but for the life of me, I can’t remember why you have to remove and replace the factory pivot instead of just re-using it. Can someone remind me?
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:44 pm
If it worked as nicely as my G10 Manix 2 knives, I wouldn't mess with it -- but there is Murphy's law for you. As soon as you buy something with rivets, you will need to take it apart.

LOL, great response. OK, I get it, makes sense. Thanks!
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Bolster wrote:

This mod is a must with non-stainless tool steels like REX 45 and Maxamet where rust can develop at the pivot area of the blade. Only way to properly maintain that area in the Manix 2 LW series is to completely dismantle the knife and clean/put mineral oil/your choice CLP/rust protectant in there. Since it is riveted, though...
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

nerdlock wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:27 am
Bolster wrote:
This mod is a must with non-stainless tool steels like REX 45 and Maxamet where rust can develop at the pivot area of the blade. Only way to properly maintain that area in the Manix 2 LW series is to completely dismantle the knife and clean/put mineral oil/your choice CLP/rust protectant in there. Since it is riveted, though...

Aha ... gotcha. Smart thinkin'.