What do you think of metal handles?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Do you like or dislike metal handles on knives?

Yes
15%
Definitely No
24%
Ambivalent
16%
Stainless Steel
2%
Titanium
32%
Copper
2%
Aluminum
4%
other
5%

Total votes: 111

Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

What do you think of metal handles?

Post by Doc Dan »

What do you all think about metal handled knives? I like the simplicity, but they can be slick and move around in the hand. Steel is pretty strong, but it is heavy. Titanium is light weight compared to steel, but is expensive. I keep falling in and out of love with metal handles and cannot decide.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Eee

Re: What do you think of metal handles?

Post by Eee »

I want to try aluminum. I think it might have a nice balance of weight and cost
austrian_spyder_fan

Post by austrian_spyder_fan »

Hi Doc,

I understand you completely.
Love my Worker und Herbst, but don,t carry them because of scratches on surface.
The look and feel good and smooth, but I miss some grip.
In wet environment I whouldn't prefer Metal handles.
Also when its very hot or cold.

Markus
vivi

Post by vivi »

Not a fan at all. I've sold off nearly every one I've owned, like my SS Police, ATR 1, and Catbyrd.
:unicorn
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I have no interest in stainless steel handles but I have several knives with Ti handles and I really like them. I've had no issues with the ones I have being too slippery and I like how easily they slide in and out of my pocket. That said, I also really like textured FRN and grippy G10 and I tend to carry those more when I'm at work or working out in the yard. I guess it all depends on what I'm using the knife for
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
wirelessjunkie

Post by wirelessjunkie »

I like the way they look, but I dont like the way they feel in use. The only metal handled knife I still have was a gift, and it stays in the collection as a keepsake.
wirelessjunkie

Post by wirelessjunkie »

double post
TenGrainBread

Post by TenGrainBread »

Unappealing to me. They work ok but to me are inferior to composites in weight, price, grip, thermal conductivity, etc... I live in Wisconsin which means 8 months of winter a year. I don't like having cold metal in my pockets or my hands.

I think titanium has a "cool factor" for a lot of people. One of those things that I don't understand aesthetically, like damascus steel, acid wash finishes, overuse of the word "patina", and chunky "tactical" designs. Oh well.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

TenGrainBread wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:51 am
Unappealing to me. They work ok but to me are inferior to composites in weight, price, grip, thermal conductivity, etc... I live in Wisconsin which means 8 months of winter a year. I don't like having cold metal in my pockets or my hands.

I think titanium has a "cool factor" for a lot of people. One of those things that I don't understand aesthetically, like damascus steel, acid wash finishes, overuse of the word "patina", and chunky "tactical" designs. Oh well.
This, but I don’t live in the cold anymore.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

For work and outdoor I prefer synthetic handles, but variation is the spice of life so for office/ EDC I don’t mind a little metal now and then.
There’s also some fun in having knives in different materials, so you can compare and nerd out.
I haven’t yet been able to justify a knife in the heavier metals like, stainless, brass and copper. Just haven’t found a knife in those materials that I think will see any amount of use.
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

I live in Southeast Asia, so metal handles per se aren't a deal breaker for me, as long as the handle shape facilitates a secure grip.
Makunochimaster

Post by Makunochimaster »

Metal handles is cool
Native 5 cpm-s110v G10. Native 5 cpm-s110v frn.
Lil' Native MB cpm-s30v. Dragonfly 2 zdp-189.
Delica 4 cts-204p limited. Cricket Nishijin blk vg10.
Urban n690co. Persistence s35vn lightweight.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Definitely ambivalent. On the plus side, metal handles allow for an extremely thin knife and make an excellent canvas for engraving. On the minus side, they're cold, easy to scratch and ding, tend to be relatively heavy, and, unless engraved or roughened in some other way, they're slick.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I voted Other. They definitely have their place and their issues. They're among the thinnest you can get if you're into thin, but they're also typically very slick. They're very sturdy being of some kind of metal, but also significantly heavier. I'm not a fan of knives that can't be disassembled, so that's a big drawback for me. If they were done with some kind of textured machining I'd be a lot more interested. That said, a stainless SE Police is still pretty high on my wish list, even if I never carry it and even with the things I don't like about back locks and ricassos, it's just a classic design that I have to own for some reason.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Mnandi with timber inlay is the only metal handled knife I own.

Living in a tropical climate they just don’t work for me.

Could go back to that other brands nice titanium handle but I’m too far into team Spyderco now and slowly gravitating to more fixed blades.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I only like metal handles if they are Titanium.

Stainless steel, I only want after it has been inlayed with stone, bone or wood.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
ChopSliceStab

Post by ChopSliceStab »

Titanium is good to go. I have a couple of aluminum handled knives that I’ll never sell, but aluminum doesn’t seem to hold a finish well. I’ll take either over FRN though.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I like some metal handles.
Even stainless steel can be enjoyable to me!
I don’t think there’s much metal does better than another handle material, but I can enjoy the aesthetic, simplicity (or complexity), etc.
As with others, I like the various inlays and engravings often seen with metal handles.

Spyderco’s stainless steel knives are very nice and I actually appreciate the unique smooth sensation of the finish they use (that doesn’t mean there aren’t simple ways to create a good grip with metal handles).
Titanium is maybe slightly preferred along with aluminum, but my experience with those materials is limited.
Corrosion and deterioration are concerns as I live in Florida. As is metal’s ability to hold and loose heat, but I want to focus on positives for now.

A knife recently released from Boker with a steel frame lock is appealing to me for its seemingly “tidy” look and feel, but I may value the work put into getting the most out of “basic” materials more than others (Having trouble articulating exactly what I want to say here). Perhaps “appreciating the mastery of a craft” is a better way to put it...
Similar to the stainless steel handled Byrds that keep the tradition and craftsmanship of such a handle material/construction alive.

Though likely personal bias, stainless steel handles have some “air of nostalgia.”
I associate it with genuine work or a tool you might see clipped onto some worker’s jeans.

Aside from the old fashioned “tool-like” aesthetic, metal that is finished as Spyderco’s handles especially is beautiful to me the same way a quality satin or brushed finish can be on a blade.
That goes for things like bead blasts, stonewashes, polishes, etc. and all useable metals including bronze, brass, and copper.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
araneae

Post by araneae »

Too slippery, heavy and cold in winter. Metal handles are almost always a pass for me.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
blues

Post by blues »

In general not a big fan unless there is sufficient texturing to afford a good grip in less than ideal conditions.

That said, I have several...some I really like, and others, not as much, whether standard production, Sebenzas, or customs.
- Retired from the chase -