What do you think of metal handles?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Do you like or dislike metal handles on knives?

Yes
15%
Definitely No
24%
Ambivalent
16%
Stainless Steel
2%
Titanium
32%
Copper
2%
Aluminum
4%
other
5%

Total votes: 111

Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: What do you think of metal handles?

Post by Doc Dan »

They do scratch, I agree. What if the handle were completely DLC coated?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I generally enjoy Titanium, as to other metals, it all depends on the design and materiel. Metal used as bolsters, shields, or other decoration I like.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I like stainless and ti. I don't care for aluminum but it seems to be the standard for most auto knives. So I do have some aluminum handled knives but it's not something I seek out as a feature.
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

I like metal handles. I do need to be clear though, it’s never cold enough for me to wear gloves so the thermal issues don’t come into play.

I regularly use titanium and aluminium handled knives, occasionally stainless. I prefer the smooth scale surfaces as they don’t shred my pockets. I have gravitated away from coarse G10 and aggressive FRN patterns for this reason.

I’d like to see some Almite making an appearance in the Spyderco line up again.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

I love my Sage 2. There are many reasons for this, but the titanium scales are a big one. None of the other models in the lineup really strike my fancy save for the 2. But now that I live in a city with an actual winter, I was shocked just how quickly the knife becomes cold.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I voted with a simple YES because there are a wide variety of metal handles I like for a wide range of uses. Now if I had to pick just one metal handle I liked it would be a "tie" between Titanium and anodized aluminum. Titanium probably being at the top for most applications.

Now I don't turn up my nose on Stainless handles by any means. Even though Stainless has a few problems to get around during use. I'm carrying my Spyderco Stainless handled RESCUE model out of the ATS-55 era today actually. I like it for really rough uses because it can stand a lot of punishment without cracking or failing.

Titanium has so many desirable properties that I wish I had more folders with Titanium handles. However the high cost of Titanium can be a problem and there are a lot of titanium alloys to consider when using for a knife handle.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I like metal handles a lot for sturdiness. I don’t like pinned construction, though.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

araneae wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:57 am
Too slippery, heavy and cold in winter. Metal handles are almost always a pass for me.

Same here. I would add something (they are a magnet for scratches) and delete something (the "almost"): they are always a pass for me.
Si vis pacem para bellum ;)
prog_knife

Post by prog_knife »

I think aluminum is underrated in the knife community. I haven’t had the pleasure of handling an aluminum Spyderco (anyone have an old Lum Chinese they want to give me?), but I’ve been happy with aluminum-handled Benchmades. The finish will take a ding or two, but that adds character to a user knife.
-Evan
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Although I voted for TI, overall I prefer gripy G10, like what you would find on the Spyderco Military or an Emerson folder. TI does not bother me. I have 4 TI folders, 1 stainless steel, 2 FRN, 2 CF, 2 G10.

I find just about anything, OK. I consider the purchase of a knife something to be experienced from the designers perspective. I have not had any bad situations yet.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

I haven't been a big fan of Titanium in the past. I thought it looked pretty boring and felt kinda slippery. But it's really grown on me lately as I've realized what awesome stuff can be done with anodization. And good ergos can compensate for handles that aren't very grippy. I've actually been thinking about sending my Mantra in for a makeover. I don't mind anodized aluminum, either. However, I still agree that metal handles can be slippery and cold, so I still wouldn't choose metal scales for a folder I plan to use outside a lot.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

As I'm reading most of the responses in this thread I've got to admit that the guys in the "negative" column do make some good points that do need to be addressed. First off I see that two of the guys complain about metal handles being slippery ( especially in wet and cold environments.). However there are ways around that one with texturing, coatings and anodizing. Titanium is really about the only one I like in just "bare metal".

And until I got a folder in 1998 ( Benchmade Boguszewski Spike 640 model) which had an anodized aircraft aluminum handle. Till I had an aluminum handle with anodizing I would have never ever bought an aluminum handled folder if they had not added that option. If the handle wasn't anodized on that old Benchmade Spike 640 model I'm doubtful I would have ever bought it at all. But again there are remedies for most of the problems you encounter with metal handles. You can fix things like being slick and so forth.

I won't throw out the "baby with the bathwater so to speak" because again there are remedies for making metal handles quite functional. Not to mention they are durable, rigid and can absorb punishment better
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:47 am
They do scratch, I agree. What if the handle were completely DLC coated?
The two Spyderco Stainless handles I use a lot in "user rotation" have a lot of scratches and dents and abrasions. But I could care less what my "users" actually look like if they are function for what I'm using them for. Does anyone really expect to have a Spyderco model with a stainless handle and expect to avoid scratches and dents :confused: ??? REALLY!!!??

If that's the case you must not be using them much :rolleyes: .

Function and safety are my top priorities for all my "user" blades. Overall durability would be a primary reason for buying a Spyderco model with a bare metal handles.
normal

Post by normal »

I just put titanium scales on my m390 PM2 and my s45vn Para 3 so I would say I am a fan.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

I like metal handles. All of them can have a pattern milled into them for both aesthetics and to give a grip enhancing texture. Titanium is lightweight, durable, highly corrosion resistant, and I like how it looks. Stainless steel can be made very light with internal milling, finished to look pretty close to Ti, is durable, and can be pretty corrosion resistant depending on the alloy. Aluminum is cheap, light, highly corrosion resistant, and can be anodized almost any color. It's not as resistant to dings and scratches as other materials, but it's still pretty durable overall.
jdw

Post by jdw »

I try to avoid metal handles of any type. There are too many negatives to list for outdoor use and there's really not much positive to say except that some of them look nice.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Normally I try to be very logical and scientific, but when it comes to knives, I don't have any overall rules that are deal breakers. It depends on the overall "aura" or (worse yet) "soul" of the individual knife. It's sort of like choosing a girlfriend or boyfriend. If you met your soulmate, you wouldn't be worrying about their hair color or how they were dressed (at least I wouldn't). I chose ambivalent because I've only wound up with three metal-handled knives that I really like, my factory second Ti Military, a Ti damascus Delica, and a fluted, blue anodized Ti Military which is so beautiful I've never even used it. I really like the Ti RIL millies, even though I'm a lefty and have to operate the locks with my middle fingertip for one-hand closing. And if I ever get around to moving the clips for left-hand tip-up carry, the exposed split in the scale won't be very esthetic.

I'm not crazy about the scratches and snail trails on the shiny Delica, and I even polished them off with very fine steel wool once, but I guess snail trails are part of life. On the darker finished Ti millie, they're not as noticeable and if anything only add to the character, so I would prefer finishes that keep scratches from being a distraction, but the darker finish probably wouldn't go too well on the damascus Delica. I've changed scales on 8 or 10 Manix folders, and I've bought Ti and Al scales, but never used them yet -- the Ti seems a little heavy for that platform and the Al just hasn't turned me on for some reason, but I still plan to use them on a "worker" at some point.

Edit: see lousy pic of anodized fluted Ti in avatar (plan to improve pic later).
Last edited by DougC-3 on Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

I'll admit a Spyderco with SS handle looks nice without being able to see any screws or pins. That's also the main reason I stay away from them. I love taking things apart to see how they work something you can't do with most SS handled knives. I do however like the C13 Pro Grip.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I have a few Ti folders, and I’m pretty happy with those, but only have kitchen knives with ss handles.

Copper - too bloomin’ heavy. Aluminium - everything I’ve had in alu has dinged and worn badly.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:02 pm
As I'm reading most of the responses in this thread I've got to admit that the guys in the "negative" column do make some good points that do need to be addressed. First off I see that two of the guys complain about metal handles being slippery ( especially in wet and cold environments.). However there are ways around that one with texturing, coatings and anodizing. Titanium is really about the only one I like in just "bare metal".

And until I got a folder in 1998 ( Benchmade Boguszewski Spike 640 model) which had an anodized aircraft aluminum handle. Till I had an aluminum handle with anodizing I would have never ever bought an aluminum handled folder if they had not added that option. If the handle wasn't anodized on that old Benchmade Spike 640 model I'm doubtful I would have ever bought it at all. But again there are remedies for most of the problems you encounter with metal handles. You can fix things like being slick and so forth.

I won't throw out the "baby with the bathwater so to speak" because again there are remedies for making metal handles quite functional. Not to mention they are durable, rigid and can absorb punishment better
I want to see a thicker Ti handle, sculpted and then milled like the Caribbean's handle.

It would add a ton of grip, wet or dry.

(Maybe they will give it to us one day as the Ti Framed Caribbean XL that Sal has teased about before...)
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson