Spy 27 or ZDP189 or K390

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Axanatos

Spy 27 or ZDP189 or K390

Post by Axanatos »

Greetings guys,im new in the forum,but collecting various knives through the years.
I would like to buy a new Native 5 LW in SPY27 but i dont know whether its worth it?
I dont want a blade that will need sharpening all the time,even if it gets scary sharp easy,so i saw the K390 Delica/Endela and the ZDP 189.
Will i be satisfied by the edge retention in Spy 27?Is it like the SV30?
I certainly dont wanna go above 160-170 euros so i want to hear your opinions on this subject in order to help me make the right choice.
Thank you for taking time and helping me,i really appreciate it.
Josh Crutchley

Re: Spy 27 or ZDP189 or K390

Post by Josh Crutchley »

It should be closer to S30v than it is k390 or ZDP-189. Here's a good article to read.

https://knifesteelnerds.com/2020/03/02/ ... -and-more/
ChopSliceStab

Post by ChopSliceStab »

I grabbed a Native 5 LW in Maxamet from the seconds sale. If you want edge retention...
Axanatos

Post by Axanatos »

I know ,i have read the article ,but i still cant choose.
Cant find a maxamet for 160 euros,if you know a site pls send it to me.
But from the 3 1)Spy27 2)K390 3)ZDP189 which one to choose?
The Spy seems a bit soft,the k390 and zdp189 have rust issues .
Which would be the best option?
Tristandp

Post by Tristandp »

spy 27 wont hold an edge as long as spy27, in my experience k390 is the better steel because it is primarily vanadium carbides which are much harder, however, if you dont have diamond stones or cbn stones id strongly recommend zdp-189 because the carbides in that steel are almost exclusively chromium carbides which are softer.(theres more of them so edge retention is comparable) the reason being if you use water stones to sharpen the zdp-189 will be much much easier, the aluminum oxide abraisives are harder than chromium carbides but not vanadium carbides, your stones will cut zdp-189 and will have a rough time with k390. i have both steels and i find zdp-189 to be harder to sharpen on diamond/cbn and k390 to be easier because there is less volume of carbides and the carbides are smaller so instead of directly cutting the carbides you just carve around them. this is all to say if you use mostly uluminum oxide abraisives (almost all water stones and most oil stones) get zdp-189, if you have access to diamond, silicon carbide or cbn, get k390. overall k390 tends to be a better steel, less carbide volume means the steel is less brittle for the same level of wear resistance, but youd thank yourself for getting zdp-189 if you use aluminum oxide stones.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Out of the options you gave and the wants you have get the K390.

K390 is awesome and wasn't always available until now.

You'll want to stick with Diamond/cbn abrasives for the best edges with k390.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Axanatos wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:48 am
I know ,i have read the article ,but i still cant choose.
Cant find a maxamet for 160 euros,if you know a site pls send it to me.
But from the 3 1)Spy27 2)K390 3)ZDP189 which one to choose?
The Spy seems a bit soft,the k390 and zdp189 have rust issues .
Which would be the best option?
I wouldn't say the Spy27 is soft, it's ranged around 62 HRC which is roughly 2 HRC harder than what S30V runs.

It just has lower carbide volume which can have some advantages. You may be surprised in use how nicely it works, it also takes a nice edge with minimal effort.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
awa54

Post by awa54 »

As an experienced, but non-professional sharpener, I can say that *for me* ZDP189 is harder to get an initial edge *and* harder to get a satisfying refined edge (which is a capability that sets it apart from many other high carbide steels) than almost any other steel Spyderco has used... Approaching a great refined edge isn't rocket science, but the last little bit can be elusive. This with Japanese water stones (major failure) or bonded diamond on a Hapstone system (excellent results with care and attention).

K390 on the other hand works quickly with the Hapstone setup and practically *wants* to get hair splitting sharp.

If you need a truly rust resistant blade then neither ZDP or K390 is a good choice, though ZDP is less likely to get rust without extended exposure to water or corrosive marerial, the (minor) rust on my ZDP has left pitting though, where surface rust on my K390 has wiped off with only slight discoloration.

If I had to give up *any* Delica in my collection, it would be the ZDP, even though I really love the BRG scales.

Sadly I have no experience to relate with SPY27, I'm waiting on the Mule for that steel.

Without any SPY27 experience, my highest recommendation in an available Native is the LC200N Native SALT or M390 for the BBS exclusive Delica. IMO, M390 is better at everything than ZDP189, at least in practical use, since I've never tried to cut a half mile of dirty cardboard before :D
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Axanatos

Post by Axanatos »

So,i read a lot of articles,saw a lot of videos, and the conclusion is that K390 is awesome but if you live in humid environment will corrode,the Spy27 wont hold an edge quite as good as K390, and the zdp 189 is tough to sharpen and will corrode.
I would like to ask,how much will it corrode,lets say if i have it EDC in a generally humid environment like here in Greece?
It would corrode to a scale that it will be useless or it will take a patina?? Im asking about how fragile is a non stainless steel ,since this will be the first time im getting one?
kobold

Post by kobold »

S110V is more affordable than Maxamet and will hold an edge better than ZDP189. I think that would be my choice if Maxamet is not in the race.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Axanatos

Post by Axanatos »

kobold wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:57 pm
S110V is more affordable than Maxamet and will hold an edge better than ZDP189. I think that would be my choice if Maxamet is not in the race.
I already have a Manix 2 LW S110V ,i was looking for another type of steel to get.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

If stain resistance isn't an issue, I'd go with K390 (if Maxamet isn't in your budget).
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Axanatos, Tristandp,

Welcome to our forum.

On steel, my position us "No best, all good, jut different", Spyderco's 27 flavors are there for you to get to taste.

sal
Axanatos

Post by Axanatos »

sal wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:28 pm
Hi Axanatos, Tristandp,

Welcome to our forum.

On steel, my position us "No best, all good, jut different", Spyderco's 27 flavors are there for you to get to taste.

sal
Thank you sir,indeed there is no best,all steel is good!!! I just ordered the Native Spy 27 LW and im impatient to get it in my hands!!!
Already proud owner of several Spydercos,looking forward to even more!!!
Mike Slayer

Post by Mike Slayer »

Personally I really want to try K390 myself. I missed out on picking up a G10 Police in K390 and I still kick myself for missing out.
wirelessjunkie

Post by wirelessjunkie »

Mike Slayer wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:43 pm
Personally I really want to try K390 myself. I missed out on picking up a G10 Police in K390 and I still kick myself for missing out.
K390 is good stuff. The Police 4 LW in K390 will hopefully be getting dropped soon, so you'll get another chance to get that sweet bladeshape in a nice feeling handle with that awesome steel.

I had a G10 P4 in K390 when they first dropped. I kinda kick myself for selling it these days, but I honestly sold it at the time because I thought the handle was too thin for the size of the blade. The LW is a little thicker in the right places, and I think that'll be a game changer for it though.
Tristandp

Post by Tristandp »

forgot to mention that the patina you get on k390 is beautiful, if you force the patina dont use warm/hot vinegar, use room temp white vinegar. it gives more of a light grey with shades of purple blue and yellow. also to clear up zdp-189 is not stainless, almost all the chromium is tied up in the formation of chromium carbides. it has a small amount in solution but definitely not enough to make it stainless by any stretch of the imagination. i have two knives in k390, an endela 4 and a pm2 from bento box, if you can spend a bit more the bento box pm2 with a blueish and yellow patina matches the ranger green g10. thats just my two cents do with it as you will.
Mike Slayer

Post by Mike Slayer »

wirelessjunkie wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:22 pm
K390 is good stuff. The Police 4 LW in K390 will hopefully be getting dropped soon, so you'll get another chance to get that sweet bladeshape in a nice feeling handle with that awesome steel.

I had a G10 P4 in K390 when they first dropped. I kinda kick myself for selling it these days, but I honestly sold it at the time because I thought the handle was too thin for the size of the blade. The LW is a little thicker in the right places, and I think that'll be a game changer for it though.
Yes I am keeping an eye out this time. I would really like to have K390 in a titanium handle but that is just me. I like a little heft in my knives.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I love K390 and it is better than Maxamet, as far as I am concerned, in every way. I keep a light (invisible) coat of Vaseline on mine and I have never had any problems. I live around jungle close to the sea near the Equator. It is humid, hot, and salty. No problems.

The other steel I have come to like are 204P/20CV/M390.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I'm open and I'm also optimistic about SPY-27. But so far I haven't had anyone tell me what it's like in SE. Because not all of these Supersteels ( especially some of the newer ones) have the properties to perform well in SE. Many of us remember the disappointments of ZDP-189 and how poorly it did in SE.

The one supersteel I do know for a fact that performs well in SE is CTS-XHP. I'm hoping that SPY-27 in either the NATIVE or one of the other newer models does well in SE & PE both.

At some point I would like to see some demanding tests be done on some of these newer/better blade steels and how they perform with a Spyderedge verses a plain edge.