Extreme LC200N (Accidental) Corrosion Test

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: Extreme LC200N (Accidental) Corrosion Test

Post by Evil D »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:50 pm
Looks like some metal memory action going on.

It got "frozen" by corrosion, while the lock bar was under full tension, creating a fatigue crack in the liner. Maybe?...

I dunno. In the position of his first pic it's partially open, which really doesn't have the lock bar under any more tension than when the lock is closed. I wonder if you left the same knife in the same environment in the fully closed or open position if it would still have broke?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I’d never heard of hydrogen embrittlement. Fascinating.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

JoeBleaux wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:10 pm
Also, as I understand it, the liners are made from LC200N not 316. Something I just realized... In the first picture I posted you can see a slotted screw going into the hull. It's either 316 or 304, and has been there for a decade or more with no corrosion. Not sure why they wouldn't just use 316 for the liner, it has to be cheaper.
I don't think they're LC200N. Spyderco just calls them "stainless steel":
https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... -Leaf/1091
Definitely makes more sense to use a more stainless steel if edge holding isn't a concern, especially since they're cheaper and that's a pretty good slab of them on each side. I bet it's a 300-series stainless.

Still don't get why it broke though. I'd personally see if the forensics lab at Spyderco W&R would be interested in making a judgement on it. I bet they'd hook you up somehow. Worth a shot if you ask me! I mean, the most likely thing I can think of is corrosion weakened the bend and created a stress concentration, but the rust looks so superficial it just doesn't seem obvious that it contributed to the failure.
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

PayneTrain wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:17 pm
Definitely makes more sense to use a more stainless steel if edge holding isn't a concern, especially since they're cheaper and that's a pretty good slab of them on each side. I bet it's a 300-series stainless.
I'm confident that Spyderco has told us numerous times that the liners are also LC200N, not just the blade. We've had this discussion before on this forum. But maybe I'm wrong...
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:07 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:

It got "frozen" by corrosion, while the lock bar was under full tension, creating a fatigue crack in the liner. Maybe?...

I dunno. In the position of his first pic it's partially open, which really doesn't have the lock bar under any more tension than when the lock is closed. I wonder if you left the same knife in the same environment in the fully closed or open position if it would still have broke?
I have no idea, just spitballing.

Closed or partially closed, the lockbar is under tension. When locked there's very little tension on the lock bar.

Combine that that tension(pulling the steel apart, kinda), with surface damage from such extreme exposure, "freezing" the metal and maybe it can create a shear point where added pressure can cause it to fail.

Perhaps the direction the grain could have an affect?
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:04 pm
Evil D wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:07 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:

I have no idea, just spitballing.

Closed or partially closed, the lockbar is under tension. When locked there's very little tension on the lock bar.

Combine that that tension(pulling the steel apart, kinda), with surface damage from such extreme exposure, "freezing" the metal and maybe it can create a shear point where added pressure can cause it to fail.

Perhaps the direction the grain could have an affect?

Well I started to think about all the knives sitting on vendor's shelves right now that are closed/under tension but of course those aren't sitting in water/chlorine so I guess that's very different.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JoeBleaux

Post by JoeBleaux »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:46 pm
PayneTrain wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:17 pm
I'm confident that Spyderco has told us numerous times that the liners are also LC200N, not just the blade. We've had this discussion before on this forum. But maybe I'm wrong...
FWIW, In Nick Shabazz's youtube review he says that Sal told him the liners are LC200N.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

That definitely looks like stress corrosion cracking to me.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Thanks for sharing this! I think most people finding something like this would simply sigh and throw it away. Spyderco is as much a knife research company as they are a knife making company and testing the limits of designs like this does nothing but help us all. I’d love to see how a regular comp lock like the standard pm2 would react to this sort of gauntlet, I doubt there’d be much left :D
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Ngati Pom

Post by Ngati Pom »

If the liners are LC200 , wasn’t there something about LC not coping well with Sulphur.
This was when the detention balls were changed out for ceramic. Maybe there was a trace in the mud/slurry?
'The future is already here;it's just not evenly distributed'
William Gibson