Seconds & used sale - a perspective

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
flmosinman124

Re: Seconds & used sale - a perspective

Post by flmosinman124 »

Thank you Sal! I think the online sale brought on a new wave of Spyderco fans like myself making their first purchase. I completely understand if you go back to in-person only second sales but if you also have an online sale for those who can't make it, I will certainly participate.
KnotTheory

Post by KnotTheory »

I would just like to say I do appreciate it being online this year, I've known about the seconds sale for a long time but it's just not realistic I'll go to one in person any time in the foreseeable future.

It was nice to get a chance to participate at least once.
⟨ x , y ∣ x 2 = y 3
austrian_spyder_fan

Post by austrian_spyder_fan »

sal wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:57 pm
The In-Person sale is much more than just a sale. People camp out on our lawn, some for days. Ed Schempp flew in from Washington and cooked BBQ for the gang, signed knives and communicated with the attendees. We put out portolets.
sal
Thank you Sal for this words.
I think this explains what the spirit of spyderco and this community is.

I would love to be there and enjoy the atmosphere.
Maybe one day i have time to travel to Golden, even it doesn't have to be on sale days.

ASF
justjohn

Post by justjohn »

I was not able to score anything due to the massive amount of folks that were "there" also. That aside, a heart felt WELL DONE TEAM SPYDERCO! Mr. Glesser (Sal) once told me he wanted Spyderco to be a business model that others could look to (paraphrasing everything after ...model). I think that goal was reached along time ago, and the Online Seconds Sale just reinforces that. :D
- John

:bug-red "Spyderco"...Vēnērunt, vīdērunt, vīcērunt :bug-red
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Felt lucky to get a few knives, but totally agree the in person sale would be a thing for the team to look foreword too. The buzz of the week instore would be nothing like the box filling mayhem they went through or probably still are.

Just you responding with you will let the staff decide next year speaks volumes of your company

Thanks again.

Truthfully I probably wouldn’t participate in the seconds sale again. I want the best knives you have and though it was good to get a few cheap maxamet’s it’s not about having heaps of knives it’s about having some great good ones.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

Thanks to all the crew who put this on! I'll probably never be able to attend an in person sale because of distance so this was really cool to have in these trying times. I was frustrated at first with website issues but with some persistence I was able to score a few knives for awesome deals! Thanks again
Napsterninja

Post by Napsterninja »

Thanks for the response Sal. This is my first Seconds Sale and in person sale would not work for me. Would I like to attend yes! This is my first time being able to touch, feel, and try different Spyderco knives I bought during the sale. I live in the Bay Area, CA and haven't put the effort to find a knife shop to demo Spyderco knives. My regret, is not purchasing more during the sale. Now that I'm exposed, I will definitely be on the look out for new Spyderco knives. I'm really interested in the PM2 Tanto! Great job Spyderco team! I look forward to see if the Seconds Sale will continue online.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Flmosinman, KnotTheory, Napsterninja,

Welcome to our forum. Hope you enjoy your time here. There are many knowledgeable and knife savvy people that visit.

sal
Oloung1

Post by Oloung1 »

I am just happy I was able to participate in my first Seconds Sale. Imagine stumbling upon the Spyderco culture this May and then being able to attend the first online Seconds Sale. How awesome is that?

Very appreciative of the Spyderco Team!!
Blades

Post by Blades »

Why not both? sell 60-70 percent of the seconds at the SFO and the rest online?
qwkzotc

Post by qwkzotc »

Nicely Done. Great Fun! It was simply marvelous to be able to participate in this amazing opportunity. Thank You for this great event Spyderco Team. You are appreciated.
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

Thank you Sal to you and your crew. My experience was good. I was checking in regularly to find a deal, I landed on a PM3 Maxament. I was very encouraged to find a bandana in my package! I'm not whinging and I feel that I got a solid value for what I spent. Your team met an difficult situation in a solid manner. Be encouraged!

I will say that I'd love to see a buy in subscription meet. Several have mentioned this before. Technologically it may be tough but globally Covid-19 has changed business models and Spyderco is ahead of the curve. I'm carrying my maxamet and it is great. Thanks again for leaning in and listening. I'm still blown away that I can write to the owner of a company who listens responds. I'm loving everything that is coming out. BTW is the stretch getting a K390 treatment?
All the best.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Skidoosh,

Thanx for the kind words. We try.

Yes, The Stretch will see K390.

sal
snowbound

Post by snowbound »

I’m very appreciative of the Spyderco sale. I’ve been wanting a Spyderco for years but couldn’t get past the cost. I picked up a PM2 in the sale. Wow, I’m impressed. It’s lightweight and very ergonomic. It just feels natural in my hand. I’m sold and have been looking at some of their other knives. Thanks guys, it’s far better than the inexpensive Gerbers I’ve been using over the years.

The First Responder/Military discount is pretty impressive, too.
toxophilus

Post by toxophilus »

sal wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:56 pm
Hi Skidoosh,

sal

WOOT!!!
austrian_spyder_fan

Post by austrian_spyder_fan »

sal wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:56 pm
Hi Skidoosh,

sal
Sal,
will there also be a new run of the straight spine Stretch?

ASF
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Snowbound,

Welcome to our forum.

Hey ASF,

We're still deciding.

sal
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Id buy a straight spine stretch in k390 in a heartbeat. Still kicking myself for getting rid of my SS Stretch.
Josh
Ric

Post by Ric »

Straight spine stretch in k390 would be awesome!

Straight spine stretch are very hatd to get.
A new one would be cool.
GaryArt1

Post by GaryArt1 »

sal wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:57 pm
We also do a seconds sale for "Save and Serve" professionals. (Law enforcement, military, fire fighters, first responders, etc).

sal
Oh wow. I never heard of this seconds sale. Does anyone know when this generally takes place?
Current Spydercos in EDC rotation: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Dragonfly 2 Toku2, Vrango, Matrix 2 G10 Black, Native 5 Fluted Carbon, Canis, Native 5 Salt, Enuff Sheepfoot, Lil' Temperance 3, Proficient, Caribbean Sheepsfoot, Shaman Zwear micarta, Shaman Black/Black Spyderedge, DLT tan Yojimbo 2