Why is the Rockjumper so great??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Why is the Rockjumper so great??

Post by Doc Dan »

sal wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:11 am
Hey Vivi,

FYI, There is a XL version called the "Cliff Jumper" (Warnie), (recommended by a member) and the "Sequoia", (leaf) both 4.0" blades, just for you and me. :cool:

sal
:eek: :eek: :eek: Where can I send my money and when?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:35 am
sal wrote:
Hey Vivi,

FYI, There is a XL version called the "Cliff Jumper" (Warnie), (recommended by a member) and the "Sequoia", (leaf) both 4.0" blades, just for you and me. :cool:

sal
I am afraid we got "saled" here (in analogy to "bloked"... ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:30 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:23 pm
...I wonder if @Vivi has tried one? He has large hands like I do. If it works for him it will work for me.

Added to my post above: Doc, I almost forgot: I actually could take some pics too when I got to handle that Rock Jumper! :)

Below you can see from top to bottom, lined up at the beginning of the cutting edge: Endela, Stretch 1 (so not the current Stretch 2), Rock Jumper.
For more reference: The Stretch 1 offers about the same grip area (or even perhaps a tiny tad more) as (than) a PM2.

You can clearly see: Measured from forward "FRN guard" to "hook" at the handle end, the Rock Jumper looks a lot like an elongated Stretch 1 handle with an just a bit wider/taller "finger groove" at the front.

Thanks, Gernot! That picture is really helpful. It might fit my hand at that. Looking at it compared to the others, I think I should be fine. The hook bothers me (why I cannot use a Manix 2 XL), but it may not be an issue.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:37 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:35 am
sal wrote:
Hey Vivi,

sal
I am afraid we got "saled" here (in analogy to "bloked"... ;)
You are right!

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thanks, Gernot! That picture is really helpful. It might fit my hand at that. Looking at it compared to the others, I think I should be fine. The hook bothers me (why I cannot use a Manix 2 XL), but it may not be an issue.

For what it's worth my hand is very cramped trying to grip a Stretch behind the choil, but I have enough room on the RJ to squeeze down on it and my hand doesn't overlap the ends of the handle.

Kinda hard to see that here but I quite like it. I have a feeling the XL version will be THE knife for me.

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

It's not great unfortunately due to the lack of jimping and lack of the Boye dent. Good, sure. Great, well, not to me. These two things go hand in hand with Seki FRN Backlocks and the Rock Jumper and Police LW aren't in my lineup due to their omission.

Now should they be added back to the Leafjumper and the XL versions? Hard to say? I feel like you would want this "family" of knives to share the same styling and design aspects, so while the lack of these makes them feel out of place in the Seki lineup as a whole, adding them back to the new models would make them feel out of place in the Rock Jumper family. :confused:

I'll probably buy any of the proposed new models if they have the dent and jimping, and will pass if they lack them. So here is one data point for you. :D
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I don't have to have a Boye Dent but any knife is certainly better with it.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:52 am
Doc Dan wrote:

For what it's worth my hand is very cramped trying to grip a Stretch behind the choil, but I have enough room on the RJ to squeeze down on it and my hand doesn't overlap the ends of the handle.

Kinda hard to see that here but I quite like it. I have a feeling the XL version will be THE knife for me.

Thanks! That is useful. The XL version is now my most anticipated knife.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I agree that the RockJumper has a super smooth opening/closing
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

One of my favorite features of the Rockjumper is the lack of jimping on the thumb ramp.
-Nick :bug-red
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Oooh, I want to know about the wharnie cliffjumper! SE! I wonder how it will compare to the pac salt / endura?
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

I really wish I could try one of these out before I splurge on it. I like the idea of a something slightly larger than a Delica. Looking at that pic Warstein posted, it looks like the handle is about the same size as the Endela, which is just perfect to me.

I'm also hoping I can get my hands on one before they add jimping and a Boye dent. To me, both are unnecessary on the majority of Spyderco's designs.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

How about a RockSaltJumper? ;)
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

skeeg11 wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:07 pm

^That. Let's do that.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

skeeg11 wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:07 pm

That´s one of the first things I thought too already in last October,, even started a thread back then about possible Rock Jumper variants (viewtopic.php?t=87759)

I may copy and paste my proposals from that thread here:

1.) Bright colored handle: Almost a must have in a climbing or mountain-rescue knife (which the RJ would be perfect for) - bright orange would be great.

2Linerless version: Nothing I would need, but I know some climbers and mountaineers are really concerned with weight

3.) (Killing two birds with one stone): Green handled, linerless Salt version (like the LC200N Pac Salt): Though not as good as orange, bright green is not bad either when it comes to visibility. I know, Sal has already mentioned that it is Erics plan to make Salt versions of most successfull models, but maybe it would be good to give the RockJumper some priority (again, especially concerning the bright color)

4.) XL version: Mentioned quite often already: A Rock Jumper XL would basically give us a backlock Caribbean... for me then probably the perfect general EDC knife. And while I prefer the wharnie blade in the current RJ, in an XL version a leaf shaped blade would be nice to have.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

StuntZombie wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:04 pm
I really wish I could try one of these out before I splurge on it. I like the idea of a something slightly larger than a Delica. Looking at that pic Warstein posted, it looks like the handle is about the same size as the Endela, which is just perfect to me.

The RJ actually feels like a lot bigger knife (in a positive way) than the Delica. I´d say its handle just in length is between Delica and Endela, but again: The RockJumper handle offers a lot more grip area on the FRN handle than Manix 2 or PM2 (those two behind the choil of course).

If you look at the pic I posted (I´ll copy it to this reply once more below):
- Stretch 1 in the middle offers the same or even a hair more grip area on the handle than a PM2 or a Manix 2. Now compare how much more space for the hand the RockJumper has than the Stretch 1 (and consequently also more than the Manix 2 or PM2)
- For illustration I also put a comparison pic of Manix and Stretch 1 below, so those who have a Manix but not a Stretch 1 can estimate how the Manix would look in the Rock Jumper comparison pic

Endela/Stretch1/RockJumper

Stretch 1 (again, the discontinued one NOT the current Stretch 2 (the latter has a larger handle) / Manix 2

cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Here is another that may be of use/help.

CG
Attachments
IMG_2286.JPG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
carrot

Post by carrot »

I think I would cry if I had a K390 RJ and LeafJumper.

Wonder how much of a chance there is of these models seeing my favorite steel.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Carrot,

I would say pretty good, but patience will be necessary.

sal
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

sal wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:29 pm
Hi Carrot,

I would say pretty good, but patience will be necessary.

sal
i really hope we get to see the rock and leaf jumpers in salty versions some day. a leafjumper with a green handle and lc200n just sounds right. :D
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C