Count the eBay Flips of Seconds...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bolster

Count the eBay Flips of Seconds...

Post by Bolster »

On Dec 8 I checked eBay to see how many knives came up under the search "Spyderco Second." There were only two, a Stretch and a Para2.

Today is Dec 10, and I count 19 knives that appear under that same search...
Last edited by Bolster on Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vivi

Re: Count the eBay Flips of Seconds...

Post by vivi »

it'll get worse I'm sure.
:unicorn
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

So long as they're honest about them being 2nds, I don't have any more issue with this than flipping in general (which I hate) so it's kinda the same old BS. If people are really going to pay over 2nds prices then I guess more power to them.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:16 pm
So long as they're honest about them being 2nds, I don't have any more issue with this than flipping in general (which I hate) so it's kinda the same old BS. If people are really going to pay over 2nds prices then I guess more power to them.
+1
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Love the guys selling the Maxamets seconds for $150+
Henry_P

Post by Henry_P »

GarageBoy wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:02 am
At that point you are better off buying new. I find it hard to believe that people are willing to spend that much on a second.
Para 3 Maxamet | Para 3 CruWear DLC | Smock M4 Jade G-10 | Shaman Z-Wear Micarta | Salt 2 LC200N Wharnie | Chaparral Birdseye Maple | Lil’ Native S90V CF | Dragonfly 2 20CV | Ladybug K390 | CRK Small Sebenza 31 S45VN PJ
archangel

Post by archangel »

I haven't looked at the offers. Do they specify the flaws? E.g. the level of warping of Maxamet blades? If they do, you actually have a slight advantage over the SFO seconds sale, where I believe no indications of the flaws were given.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
ChopSliceStab

Post by ChopSliceStab »

I haven’t checked the prices but it’s of course possible that some of the listings are people who weren’t thrilled with what they got and are just trying to recover their cost (+shipping?).
Granoo Fink

Post by Granoo Fink »

Maybe more interesting: did the daily rate of new Spyderco items without a 'second' tag increase significantly a few days after the seconds sale...
AlexRus

Post by AlexRus »

GarageBoy wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:02 am
Flippers gonna flip :D
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

It's a shame that so many who tried to get a second, who planned on keeping it and using it, were blocked by those seeking to flip these. A few bad apples ruin the bushel.

As AlexRus says, "flippers gonna flip".
Again, the parable of the frog and scorpion comes to mind.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
AlexRus

Post by AlexRus »

JRinFL wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:00 pm
It's a shame that so many who tried to get a second, who planned on keeping it and using it, were blocked by those seeking to flip these. A few bad apples ruin the bushel.

And how many of them flippers will actually indicate on ebay that they sell factory seconds? Good question...
🤔
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

JRinFL wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:00 pm

Don't be so harsh on a bunch of poor folks who see the Seconds sale as an opportunity to make a few bucks off reselling on eBay. They sure need them. ;)
Si vis pacem para bellum ;)
wirelessjunkie

Post by wirelessjunkie »

Worst Ive seen so far is a 'Seconds' K390 Police 4 going for $250 and it still has the $90 price tag on the blade. These people have no shame. Makes me shake my head because I literally had one of these in my cart and lost it during the CC processing.
knife__bro69

Post by knife__bro69 »

Ive complained about this to people on knifeswap on reddit, it seems no one wants to hear me out. I just think it is bullcrap that some people buy these factory seconds with full intentions of marking them up in price (or just decide they dont like them) and then resell them for $50 more than what they got.

I saw a Yojimbo 2 selling for $120, and they bought it for $53 on the seconds sale! Absolute disgusting greediness.

When I called the resellers out, they just used “well Im up charging for my time spent trying to get the knife in the sale”. Like THAT has ever been a legitimate reason to charge more for something. Maybe for an exclusive or a sprint, but you are charging to an essentially flawed and warranty-free product.

Other people say “oh, they can charge almost double because it’s still cheaper than the normal retail and it is supply and demand and they have the right to do so because you cant get the factory seconds anymore”

This argument I sort of agree with, but I just think it makes the reseller a massive poop head.

Resellers that sell for profit for these factory seconds make me so mad, Ive had to stop arguing and deleted my comments on knifeswap altogether. I think it is scummy to think that many people just bought these knives to resell. I think it is scummy to see people sell for profit after deciding that they didnt like the knife they got from factory seconds. Disgusting disgusting greedy behavior to the highest degree of knife enthusiasts.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

And this year, they are everywhere, not just close to Golden. They didn't have to get out of their pajamas and stand in line in the freezing rain for hours to buy stuff they didn't really want so they could sell it at a profit. This year they got to stay comfy at home and order it online. Yay.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I'm not even going to look at on Ebay even to see what's going on, I know it's just going to fiss me off. I know a lot of people here on this forum that missed out on knives they wanted, people that I know had every intention of using them, just to have this happen.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Just as some of our own are flippers, some of our own are buyers. Without the buyers, there would be no flippers. For some, FOMO is too strong to overcome.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

knife__bro69 wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:34 pm
Ive complained about this to people on knifeswap on reddit, it seems no one wants to hear me out. I just think it is bullcrap that some people buy these factory seconds with full intentions of marking them up in price (or just decide they dont like them) and then resell them for $50 more than what they got.

I saw a Yojimbo 2 selling for $120, and they bought it for $53 on the seconds sale! Absolute disgusting greediness.

When I called the resellers out, they just used “well Im up charging for my time spent trying to get the knife in the sale”. Like THAT has ever been a legitimate reason to charge more for something. Maybe for an exclusive or a sprint, but you are charging to an essentially flawed and warranty-free product.

Other people say “oh, they can charge almost double because it’s still cheaper than the normal retail and it is supply and demand and they have the right to do so because you cant get the factory seconds anymore”

This argument I sort of agree with, but I just think it makes the reseller a massive poop head.

Resellers that sell for profit for these factory seconds make me so mad, Ive had to stop arguing and deleted my comments on knifeswap altogether. I think it is scummy to think that many people just bought these knives to resell. I think it is scummy to see people sell for profit after deciding that they didnt like the knife they got from factory seconds. Disgusting disgusting greedy behavior to the highest degree of knife enthusiasts.
Honestly, it's their sale and they can sell for what they want. On the flip side, if no one buys they'll have to drop their price. Easiest way to fight flippers is to not pay the price. Sooner or later they will stop flipping. But people do pay the price unfortunately. I even paid extra for a BHQ Shaman, but it wasn't that much over new price.

And some sellers on reddit are really good and have good prices. Ive gotten many awesome knives off there for great deals. They're also pretty strict on scammers and shutting them down quickly. So it's a pretty good place to go knife hunting.

But people selling 2nds for so much over what they paid... Its pretty sickening.
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

If the sale of seconds online has come to stay, perhaps Spyderco could consider giving a special treatment to the members of this forum by offering the seconds to them first and if they are left over, to the rest of the public. To avoid registrations with the sole purpose of having access to the sale, filters could be established (need to be registered for more than 6 months and have written a minimum number of posts with content, for instance).

As the objective of the sale of seconds for Spyderco is to make room in warehouses and monetize products that cannot be sold regularly (not to gain market share or more customers) it should be indifferent that all seconds are bought by forumites ...

And the good people on this forum would be much happier and love Spyderco even more (if that's possible) :D
Si vis pacem para bellum ;)