Spidiechef XL?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Fireman

Spidiechef XL?

Post by Fireman »

The Spidiechef is a great knife with an amazing steel with a superb blade design, how about supersizing it? It has a decent paring knife blade length but add another 1” of blade length and you will have a decent size food prep knife. Any thoughts?
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Evil D

Re: Spidiechef XL?

Post by Evil D »

I would have been more interesting (especially for food prep) if it was at least 5 inches in the blade. The design isn't really for me as far as EDC goes.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Mike Slayer

Post by Mike Slayer »

The Spydiechef has been the only knife I have carried for about the last 2 years or so. I LOVE IT A LOT!!!!! An XL version would be EPIC!!!!!! I would have two pocket knives to carry daily after that
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

One Spidiechef seems to be pre ordered :D
Mike Slayer wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:22 pm
The Spydiechef has been the only knife I have carried for about the last 2 years or so. I LOVE IT A LOT!!!!! An XL version would be EPIC!!!!!! I would have two pocket knives to carry daily after that
Danke

Post by Danke »

Yeah a roughly Military sized Spidiechef would be ideal. I do find myself running out of blade on stuff like big onions or tomatoes.
kobold

Post by kobold »

For food prep, a thinner blade-stock and TBE would be advantageous.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Make it petty knife length (5”ish blade length) and grind it like an actual kitchen knife and you’ve got my vote. A folding kitchen knife isn’t a terrible idea, and the standard Spydiechef ain’t it.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I've always thought a 5-6" Junior with a slightly bellied sheepsfoot would be an awesome little pocket Santoku.

You know, for when "their" kitchen cutlery might as well be butter knives.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

I think a more capable folding kitchen knife would be cool. Between 5 and 6 inches is what I'd love to see, something that's sharpened all the way to the heel like the Parata, but that you can cut flat to a cutting board with. I'd really like to see it in a bit less expensive of a handle though so its more attainable for more people, even if its just the non-lock side swapped for G10 or something.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

SpydieChef ended more as an EDC and less than 3.5" probably to be legal in more jurisdictions, to sell more.

Couple of years ago Marcin was working on SpydieChef 2 proto that looks like having a longer blade, beside looking nice - the guy really knows his trade.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BfJdYO9BSg2/

A 4inch+ SpydieChef 2, beside costing an arm and a leg by Spyderco standards, probably not gonna happen.

I have the SpydieChef, for more serious kitchen work the blade is short.

If you want a simple functional 4.3" folder for the kitchen you can try Victorinox Folding Paring Knife, at $16.80 Spyderco die hard fans might be puzzled and slightly offended by the fact that it's not 335$ MSRP.

It's not high-carbides 67HRC, you can't feather stick, cut copper wires, baton with it, no MBC self-defense, can't save the maiden from the fire-breathing dragon in the dark alley but otherwise for what was intended it works perfectly OK. If that makes any sense at all :D

https://youtu.be/EJJ9-S0VsBk
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Wow, I love the look of that Spydiechef 2...wonder what became of it.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Well, where is the fun in that! :D

A K2 sized Chef would be popular imho
seems like a lot of chef knives are selling in the $1500 range.
Gsg9 wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:55 am

It's not high-carbides 67HRC, you can't feather stick, cut copper wires, baton with it, no MBC self-defense, can't save the maiden from the fire-breathing dragon in the dark alley but otherwise for what was intended it works perfectly OK. If that makes any sense at all :D

vivi

Post by vivi »

Gsg9 wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:55 am
SpydieChef ended more as an EDC and less than 3.5" probably to be legal in more jurisdictions, to sell more.

Couple of years ago Marcin was working on SpydieChef 2 proto that looks like having a longer blade, beside looking nice - the guy really knows his trade.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BfJdYO9BSg2/

A 4inch+ SpydieChef 2, beside costing an arm and a leg by Spyderco standards, probably not gonna happen.

I have the SpydieChef, for more serious kitchen work the blade is short.

If you want a simple functional 4.3" folder for the kitchen you can try Victorinox Folding Paring Knife, at $16.80 Spyderco die hard fans might be puzzled and slightly offended by the fact that it's not 335$ MSRP.

Nonsense, you can definitely feather stick with Vic paring knives :D I have one of their 4" models I take camping, even made kydex for it. One of the best value knives out there. Gonna haveto order the folding version too, looks neat.
:unicorn
Thunderpants

Post by Thunderpants »

I have a set of the non-folding Victorinox tomato knives and they're terrific! I don't know what metal they use but I am quite sure it's not the blunt-o-matic they use in Spartans etc. And if it is, for some reason they can be used every day at mealtimes and still be decently sharp years later. The magic of serrations!
Back in Spydie land, I am kind of tempted by the green Pacific, which looks like it would be an ace kitchen utensil. Spydie Chef seems a bit too pricy just for onions!
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

I've used the Spydiechef quite a bit and I don't really think a larger version makes a lot of sense. Not if a folding chef's knife is what we're aiming for.
It could work with a few very noticeable changes, but that would make it a totally different knife and also do away with much of what makes the current Chef as good as it is.
As it is, it's a very pocketfriendly jack of many trades. It's not very heavy and it has a very decent cutting edge for such a compact handle. It works OK-ish for food prep, but it isn't great. For that it's a wee bit short and the grind a bit thick.

I would love to see more knives geared towards food prep, but I would prefer to see something in the lightweight/salt lineup.
Thinner blade stock, longer blade and cutting edge, lightweight and grippy FRN handles, and preferably a different lock type. I don't find the RIL to be ideal when your knife and hands are all sauced up. A back lock or compression lock would probably provide a more predictable operation.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I want one, but not because of food prep. I just like the design of the chef.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Mike Slayer

Post by Mike Slayer »

For such a small knife it does a good job in my opinion as a kitchen knife. Comparing it to an actual kitchen knife is unfair in my opinion so I am not going to judge it by those standards or at least not be overly critical. The blade is more than thin enough for myself but it needed a edge reprofile. After that it was much better so I am happy with it in the kitchen but what it does much better than kitchen prep is field dress and skin deer, bear and wild hogs. LC200N is tough as **** along with the overall knife itself. I am not doing anything crazy with it but it does work very well for me. I would love to get a Spydiechef 2 if they every made one. I was super excited about it then silence and nothing happened. A Spydiechef with a 4-5" blade at the same thickness or thinner in Vanax Super Clean would be my dream.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

That paring knife still isn't great for cutting board work

A big spydiechef would be great when you visit friends and family and you're asked to help cook, but all their knives are butter knife dull
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Mike Slayer wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:27 pm
For such a small knife it does a good job in my opinion as a kitchen knife. Comparing it to an actual kitchen knife is unfair in my opinion so I am not going to judge it by those standards or at least not be overly critical. The blade is more than thin enough for myself but it needed a edge reprofile. After that it was much better so I am happy with it in the kitchen but what it does much better than kitchen prep is field dress and skin deer, bear and wild hogs. LC200N is tough as **** along with the overall knife itself. I am not doing anything crazy with it but it does work very well for me. I would love to get a Spydiechef 2 if they every made one. I was super excited about it then silence and nothing happened. A Spydiechef with a 4-5" blade at the same thickness or thinner in Vanax Super Clean would be my dream.
Finally!!! A man after my own heart. In my first thread (Form follows Function) I did a post detailing why I felt that the SpydieChef was the pre-eminant de facto folding pocket skinner. Outdoor food prep at its finest. :)
Mike Slayer

Post by Mike Slayer »

skeeg11 wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:40 pm
Finally!!! A man after my own heart. In my first thread (Form follows Function) I did a post detailing why I felt that the SpydieChef was the pre-eminant de facto folding pocket skinner. Outdoor food prep at its finest. :)
Great minds think a like my Friend. I want to make a version of a Nessmuk that I had long ago. It was my favorite version of the Nessmuk and it would pair perfectly with my Spydiechef. When I need a stouter blade with a little more reach I would grab the Nessmuk but for most of the work the Spydiechef is perfect. Even though they aren't what most people would call bushcraft or survival knives I have used both for training in Bushcraft and survival. They worked just fine even though a lot of people would turn their noses up at it. In my opinion it's more about the skill of the user and how they make a design work for a task it wasn't designed for. If you think outside the box and have good skill and technique you can make most any blade work for what you need.