Tell us about your Spyderco Knife of the Year 2020

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cambertree

Tell us about your Spyderco Knife of the Year 2020

Post by Cambertree »

It’s that time of the year again!

2020 has certainly been a long, strange year for many of us. It’s time to take a moment though, and share your thoughts on your single favourite Spydie of 2020.

Now it could be a knife released this year, or it could be a knife model from past years. The rule is that you just had to have acquired it this year.

By all means, tell us about the close contenders for the title, and your reasoning process in selecting your favourite. But by the end of your post, we want to hear about your single Spydie of the Year for 2020.

Let us know why that particular knife edged out the others to gain that title from you.

Maybe you’ll change your mind tomorrow or next week. That’s OK, but for now we want to hear about that ONE favourite.

Now, I’m going to bend the rules a little bit this year and say that if your Spydie of The Year is a folder, you can also give an honorary mention to a Spydie fixed blade, if you have one you’d like to share with us.

Here’s last year’s thread:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85432

I think I have a pretty good idea what my own Spydie of The Year for 2020 will be, but I’m still having some trouble choosing from some late arrivals!

We’ve certainly been spoilt for choice this year!
Evil D

Re: Tell us about your Spyderco Knife of the Year 2020

Post by Evil D »

I haven't really bought many so mine will be really biased but I'd have to say the Rock Jumper. The potential of the design is outstanding. Once it gets different blade shapes (Leaf Jumper) I think more people will see the beauty in the handle design.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

My 2020 Knife of the year has to go to the Lil Native REX45 Sprint. Lil Native is one of my most carried and one of my favorite Spyderco models in general but I'm also a big fan of the burnt orange g10 and have really enjoyed using REX45. This model was also the first Lil Native "Sprint Run", so I definitely wasn't going to miss it. :cool:

A very close honorable mention goes to the Bombshell. I love the design and it was executed flawlessly.

Another model that I would give honorable mention to is the Copper Paramilitary 2 BHQ Exclusive. Copper EDC tools have always appealed to me and I've dreamt of a factory made copper Spyderco for a long time. Definitely excited that we got at least one! (A copper Lil Native would be a real dream come true! ;) )
-Nick :bug-red
SG89

Post by SG89 »

The Rex45 manix2 g10 was pretty great. Also it's shaman brother
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Sage1 maxamet. It has a permanent place in my pocket.
JMM

Post by JMM »

TreeRex, hands down my #1 in pocket time & usage time, scales keep getting better & better, my favorite Shaman hands down.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Rex-45 Para 3. This is my second Rex-45 para3 custom build. This year I did a full Titanium build with blue anodized accents. Scales, screws, pivot, lanyard hole plug, stand offs, and a Lynch deep carry clip. Replaced everything but the liners and blade. But even though it's customized, the rex45 blade and Para 3 design are the knife of the year. The Ti is just window dressing.

It's a user. And it puts a smile on my face everytime I use it. I've cut things like small insulated wires, used it to make a door knob hole wider (having to shave and torque the blade sideways to chip out a circle in the wood), banged it against a cutting surface harder than I meant to... each time I was sure I would damage the edge. Nope. Not Rex45.

And the Para3 design? Very useful blade shape, good ergos, compression lock, compact size. What's not to love?

Great design great steel.

My Ti-Rex
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
vivi

Post by vivi »

Easy choice for me. FFG Pacific Salt 2.

This knife took my most carried model and made it even better. FFG instead of saber grind, increased edge retention in PE, and a lighter weight.

Mine has come on a slew of camping and hiking trips, and is my daily carry every shift at work.

It's been my most carried knife since I bought it by a long shot.

:unicorn
tbdoc4kids

Post by tbdoc4kids »

I'm hoping it will be the Rex 45 Native Chief, but that is looking less and less likely. The Sage 1 Maxamet is really nice and is my top choice at the moment.
ChopSliceStab

Post by ChopSliceStab »

I can’t say enough good things about my Spydiechef. What a great knife. It’s earned lots of pocket time in 2020.
Tgmr05

Post by Tgmr05 »

I like pocketable knives, so I was really looking forward to the sun/moon chaparral as the 2020 knife of the year- but another knife surprised me. It was the color/appearance, the steel, and thankfully what initially caught my eye was the holiday sale price. Always wanted the steel in a pocketable knife, but passed on a few natives and others because they either did not fit/feel good enough, or were just not aesthetically pleasing enough to spend more over a standard factory steel version.

The delica s90v with blue back spacer and trim. It is definitely my 2020 Spyderco knife of the year.
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Watu. No question. If I’m not hiking or working that knife is in my pocket.

Edit: although I’d reconsider if the smallfly or burl chap were to release this month...
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

For me it was the Forest Green CTS-204P Delica. It has everything.

I have not gotten a K390 yet and that might topple it, but it might be after the New Year before I do so I doubt it.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
olywa

Post by olywa »

Wish I could've said the new LC200N PE Atlantic Salt, but I'm still waiting. However I have no trouble saying Rock Jumper and I can't wait for the Leaf Jumper. The RJ is a keeper though and it has spent a great deal of time on my person in the last couple of months.
wirelessjunkie

Post by wirelessjunkie »

K390 Endura. Adding a crazy steel to a platform Ive always liked is definitely a winner in my book.
Lumpy

Post by Lumpy »

Siren. Love love love everything about it. Didn’t even want one when they came out, but it quickly became the most carried this year.

Honorable mention to the Watu, which I loved the design of from the beginning, but wasn’t completely sold on it when I got it. I’ve warmed up to it quite a bit now, and it keeps pushing other ~3 inch blades out of my pocket.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Interesting selections everyone! Enjoyed reading insights on the knives I don't have in my collection yet. :)
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
standy99

Post by standy99 »

With only buying a Delica GITD this year it has to be the Delica line itself because it’s the most carried by me this year.
Also leant my buddy at work one of mine because he lost his Tan PM2 on the netting of a aircraft pallet. Couldn’t have a fellow Spyderco mate go spydieless for a few months until he got another. ( live Northern Australia so 25+ days from Knifecenter )

Did get a handle on a Mule so it’s a tie between the Delica and Mule

Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
embry386

Post by embry386 »

Amalgam. I almost didn't buy it, was more interested in the Brouwer and ended up buying the Amalgam because it was a similar shape to the Brouwer and I figured it'd be cool to have a "matching set" of similar knives in different sizes. Ended up disliking the Brouwer enough that I gave it to my dad, and the Amalgam took the spot of top favorite, displacing the '98 Rescue. Something about it just works for me. The ergos, the balance, the size, the tall blade profile. Been using it a lot in the kitchen lately and it's awesome for that. Only thing I wish is that there was a sheepsfoot version -- something like the blade shape the Techno 2 has, a sheepsfoot with a slight belly (I've got a thing for sheepsfoot blades).
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I have two top knives this year, one I knew was coming and was long anticipated - the Swayback - and the other literally dropped out of the sky like a Bombshell ;). The Swayback would have been knife of the year any year it was released, and it’s been a long time coming! The first mention of it on this forum was June 2014... The Bombshell surprised the heck out of me with its ergos, it really needs to be handled in person to appreciate this. The Para 3 and Native 5 wish they fit the hand as well as the Bombshell, it’s like I’m holding a perfectly formed lump of clay (and that is meant as a compliment!). Cheers, Radioactive

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King