Factory Seconds Sale Follow-up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TazKristi

Factory Seconds Sale Follow-up

Post by TazKristi »

We received lots of questions during the online Factory Seconds Sale as well as after. We hear you, and as a company, we always want to be as transparent as possible. Please follow this link to read more.

https://www.spyderco.com/seconds-sale-statement/
Truck_IMG_1887.JPG
*And yes, that's an entire UPS truck.*
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Mushroom

Re: Factory Seconds Sale Follow-up

Post by Mushroom »

Thank you for the update, Kristi. The efforts Spyderco is extending for all of us right now is greatly appreciated!

:spyder:
-Nick :bug-red
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Wow, I am impressed. I was pretty underwhelmed by the way this all went, but taking the time to put it all into context like this makes a huge difference. I maintain my position that the online sale should remain a measure of last resort (even if it means I don't get to play), but my naturally overactive skepticism has been greatly assuaged by your efforts here. You of course were under no obligation to explain any of it, and therefore I very much appreciate that you did. Thank you for being cool! :cool:

Of course the question now becomes where is that truck going specifically and how does one get a hold of a UPS uniform?
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Tis the Spyderco way, and yes, we appreciate it.
Oloung1

Post by Oloung1 »

TazKristi wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:20 pm
We hear you, and as a company, we always want to be as transparent as possible.

You all rock! Thanks for all the hard work put in making this happen.
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

TazKristi wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:20 pm
Truck_IMG_1887.JPG
*And yes, that's an entire UPS truck.*
And those are just the ones I bought.
🤣
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

In that case, we want pics, of all of them please. 😉
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

My thumb muscles would be ripped after flicking all those open!
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Thank you Kristy. I still cannot believe that this has happened ever since we all started talking about the 2020 seconds sale a few months ago, about July-August, I think and a few of us suggested moving it online.

I'm grateful that you and Sal and the management changed their minds after serious considerations against holding an online sale, and despite all the setbacks, I do hope that you will continue this, maybe even together with a live seconds sale as it has always been done. After all, I would like to think that it is in line with Spyderco's goals to overcome obstacles. :)
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Thanks Kristi and the rest of the crew!! You didn't HAVE to explain all of that, though it obviously answers many of the questions floating around.

Can't wait for the forum to get back to normal and not all about the Seconds Sale!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
archangel

Post by archangel »

Thank you Kristi, and thanks to the ENTIRE crew!

I support all decisions made - all but one: by not offering Exclusive Seconds online and reserving them for in-person sale, all of the thousands of Spyderco lovers that simply cannot come to the SFO (like me) still suffer a disadvantage. I recognize why the decision was made. Doesn't matter though. You opened the Seconds Sales to the entire word by having it online, and I cherish this! Please don't stop here! :) Next step is to offer ALL products to ALL customers, too. Then it's truly just!
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I applaud the effort, and I admire and appreciate the spirit that prompted it, but overall, I would rate the online sale the same as the rest of 2020 - an experience I would not care to repeat. Struggling through repeated connection time outs to get to an item page, fighting through a few more time outs to get one into the cart, persevering through another half dozen time outs to get to the checkout only to be told the item in my cart was no longer in stock was not a fun experience. Repeating that experience a few times did not improve it a bit. Rather like getting to the checkout counter and finding that other shoppers had taken everything out of your basket along the way. While it does save you money, you never get back the time you invested and you end up with nothing to show for it. Frankly, I would rather they had just cancelled and said "Better luck next year".
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

yablanowitz wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:57 am
I applaud the effort, and I admire and appreciate the spirit that prompted it, but overall, I would rate the online sale the same as the rest of 2020 - an experience I would not care to repeat. Struggling through repeated connection time outs to get to an item page, fighting through a few more time outs to get one into the cart, persevering through another half dozen time outs to get to the checkout only to be told the item in my cart was no longer in stock was not a fun experience. Repeating that experience a few times did not improve it a bit. Rather like getting to the checkout counter and finding that other shoppers had taken everything out of your basket along the way. While it does save you money, you never get back the time you invested and you end up with nothing to show for it. Frankly, I would rather they had just cancelled and said "Better luck next year".
I feel the same. I'm glad some people had a good time with it but the real seconds sale was much better. Overall I guess it's my fault for missing out Thursday but it was supposed to be 3 days and just wasn't.
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Frozenspyder

Post by Frozenspyder »

I thought going it was going to be a mess from the moment they announced it would be online. I'm very happy to admit I was wrong. It could've gone better, but for something that seemed impossible, i think everything went pretty well.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Definitely a quick turnaround in a short timeframe. That's a lot of orders!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
knife__bro69

Post by knife__bro69 »

A lot of people honestly do not know how the world works. The fact that you all at Golden did not just cancel the Factory Seconds Sale when you only had a week notice to go fully online, is a testament to how dedicated you guys are to making these types of events possible. The amount of dedication, patience, and adaptability it takes to switch from one plan, to an entirely different plan in a week, is insanely impressive and I don’t think many people realize that.

You guys may have gotten hate, and the website may have had issues (understandably, it wasn’t meant to take that many users), but overall, at the end of the day, you all made it still happen. Here I am holding a Native 5 LW that I got for $40, and no where would that be possible outside of this online seconds sale.

There are people who are upset about there not being the final day, or people that were upset about not getting to buy the thing they wanted, due to website issues and whatnot. But at the end of the day, this was a feat to accomplish and I have mad respect for everyone in the company.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I had a lot of fun with the online sale. Hopefully I can visit Golden for an in person sale sometime down the road!

Thank you Spyderco for all the work you put into this effort.
:unicorn
flmosinman124

Post by flmosinman124 »

Kristi,

Thank you to your and your team for putting on this event online. I am a new Spyderco customer buying my first knives and I am thrilled that I was able to start my collection. I will probably never get a chance to get to Colorado for the in-person sale so for me this is a great way to try some different models without paying retail. I realize I was fortunate to pick up a few knives but I was extremely persistent and never gave up. Despite some criticism I think you handled it well and honesty is always the best policy. I look forward to many years as a customer!
Team Sick

Post by Team Sick »

A Big Shout Out and Thank You to the Spyderco Staff and Crew for the 2nds Sale! I live in NY and talked to my wife about going to the SFO while visiting friends out West, but never thought I'd be able to participate in the 2nd's Sale. Spyderco took a bad situation with a global pandemic and made it an escape event that went international event and allowed people who normally wouldn't be able to participate to get their mind off of a world wide problem. I read the Spyderco statement regarding how what people thought were computer "crashes", were the IT team fighting off cyber bots trying to buy up inventory. Kudos! It ended a day early, but I was relieved because I really didn't need to spend any more money and I was happy the event was successful! Thanks again!
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

I've received the 2nds I bought and am quite happy with my experience.
Thank you Spydie Crew! You all have done a remarkable job with a new endeavor that is understandably complex.