Vanadis 8 - Better than CPM-10V

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Larrin

Vanadis 8 - Better than CPM-10V

Post by Larrin »

New article about Uddeholm Vanadis 8, a recent steel developed to compete with CPM-10V. Uddeholm claims a massive 3.7x improvement in toughness over 10V! I tested their toughness claims as well as measured hardness and edge retention. And I wrote about the history and development that led to Vanadis 8. https://knifesteelnerds.com/2020/12/07/ ... n-cpm-10v/
http://www.KnifeSteelNerds.com - Steel Metallurgy topics related to knives
steelcity16

Re: Vanadis 8 - Better than CPM-10V

Post by steelcity16 »

Looks like a winner. I'd still rather see some Vanadis 4 Extra folders myself, but thats me. CPM-4V is popular enough that there is no reason to not throw out a few V4E blades to masses.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

steelcity16 wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:23 am
Looks like a winner. I'd still rather see some Vanadis 4 Extra folders myself, but thats me. CPM-4V is popular enough that there is no reason to not throw out a few V4E blades to masses.
I didn’t say there is no use for Vanadis 4 Extra. I said that Vanadis 8 is better than 10V. There is a reason I break out my recommendations by category.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Larrin wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:27 am
steelcity16 wrote:
I didn’t say there is no use for Vanadis 4 Extra. I said that Vanadis 8 is better than 10V. There is a reason I break out my recommendations by category.

I know, I wasn't arguing. :) Just stating my preferences. Thanks for the informative articles as always!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

B,b,but 10 is larger than 8! :D
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Uddeholm Vanadis 8 looks like the bees knees! It's right there with K390 and 20CV.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
NarwhalisnotKosher

Post by NarwhalisnotKosher »

Come on Vanadis 8 PM2!
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Larrin
Please sell T-shirts. I would buy one.
Nerds of Steel!
Superman with the clark kent glasses but geeky
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

Fireman wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:48 pm
Larrin
Nerds of Steel!
I will think about it
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

steelcity16 wrote:
We get it, you like 3v,4v,Cruwear! :D
BTW: how did those steels become your favorite?

Thanks Larrin, for giving us another steel to lust for!
What's the corrosion resistance similar to?
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Larrin wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:51 am
Fireman wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:48 pm
Larrin
Nerds of Steel!
I will think about it
Maybe Superman’s body but just the glasses?
Superman was the “Man of Steel”. Does this make you the “Dr. of Steel?”
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

Fireman wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:44 pm
I believe I was made a doctor of steel by my PhD diploma.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Larrin wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:38 pm
Fireman wrote:
Lol. Yes, I saw that you were a PHD thus the genesis of the joke. I would want to trademark the “Dr. of Steel” if I was in your shoes. It’s catchy. What I really want to know is what PM steel are you alcheming for all your steel nerd minions? What is your “Ideal steel”? I know there are no solutions, only trade offs with the occasional unicorn. Are you going to have your own you tube channel?
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

Fireman wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:20 pm
Larrin wrote:
Fireman wrote:
Lol. Yes, I saw that you were a PHD thus the genesis of the joke. I would want to trademark the “Dr. of Steel” if I was in your shoes. It’s catchy. What I really want to know is what PM steel are you alcheming for all your steel nerd minions? What is your “Ideal steel”? I know there are no solutions, only trade offs with the occasional unicorn. Are you going to have your own you tube channel?
The best balance of properties is in the CPM-CruWear/Vanadis 4 Extra/4V range. That gives very good toughness along with good wear resistance and fine microstructure. 4V can be used with everything from competition choppers (very popular with those) to very fine slicers with high hardness. The downside is they are not stainless. We need a stainless in that property range. A stainless in the 3V property range would be great as well.

I have considered doing a YouTube channel but I don’t have the time to dedicate to making it what I would want it to be.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Larrin wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:56 pm
Fireman wrote:
Larrin wrote:
Fireman wrote:
The best balance of properties is in the CPM-CruWear/Vanadis 4 Extra/4V range. That gives very good toughness along with good wear resistance and fine microstructure. 4V can be used with everything from competition choppers (very popular with those) to very fine slicers with high hardness. The downside is they are not stainless. We need a stainless in that property range. A stainless in the 3V property range would be great as well.

I have considered doing a YouTube channel but I don’t have the time to dedicate to making it what I would want it to be.
Thanks for that great info! So, you deny that you are working on your own powdered steel? Will there be no CPM Larrinibium? Regarding YouTube, maybe start by going on others you tube channels as a guest and then start your own later? Nick Shabaz recommended your book, perhaps he would be a good one to start on.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Did a few videos with Dr Thomas.

Should have another out soon that I'm editing now where I asked Larrin about future on stainless knife steels which should be very exciting.

Fireman wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:33 pm
Larrin wrote:
Fireman wrote:
Larrin wrote:

Thanks for that great info! So, you deny that you are working on your own powdered steel? Will there be no CPM Larrinibium? Regarding YouTube, maybe start by going on others you tube channels as a guest and then start your own later? Nick Shabaz recommended your book, perhaps he would be a good one to start on.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Fireman wrote:

There are rumors ;)

sal wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:40 pm
Hey Larrin,

Excellent as usual.

I heard a rumor about a Larrin steel? Any thoughts to share? I want to put in for first dibs, if nobody else has?.

sal
-Turbo
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

B3
Thanks for the reply
Awesome that you got to interview him.
Thanks for sharing.
PS. You are one of my knife hero’s
Deadboxhero wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:23 am
Did a few videos with Dr Thomas.

Should have another out soon that I'm editing now where I asked Larrin about future on stainless knife steels which should be very exciting.

Fireman wrote:
Larrin wrote:
Fireman wrote:

Fireman

Post by Fireman »

I would love to see how he could modify the LC200N
bbturbodad wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:12 am
Fireman wrote:

There are rumors ;)

sal wrote:
Hey Larrin,

Excellent as usual.

I heard a rumor about a Larrin steel? Any thoughts to share? I want to put in for first dibs, if nobody else has?.

sal
NarwhalisnotKosher

Post by NarwhalisnotKosher »

Fireman wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:02 pm
I would love to see how he could modify the LC200N
bbturbodad wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:12 am
Fireman wrote:

There are rumors ;)

sal wrote:
Hey Larrin,

Excellent as usual.

sal

I think Bohler already did that. :D