End of 2020 Opinions on VG-10

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
knife__bro69

End of 2020 Opinions on VG-10

Post by knife__bro69 »

Hello everyone, Im hoping you are all doing well.

I thought this would be a good topic to discuss, as I figure you are all the experts as far as I am concerned on the topic of knife steel for everyday carry.

So to get to the question, what is your personal opinion on where VG-10 falls in the hierarchy of knife steels in 2020?
vivi

Re: End of 2020 Opinions on VG-10

Post by vivi »

I think its a good steel. Its well balanced, easy to sharpen and quite inexpensive.

For specialty applications I may go with a rust proof steel or something that holds on edge longer, but for most of what I do VG10 works great on anything from small pocket knives to chef knives.
:unicorn
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

The worst that can be said about VG-10 is that it is somewhat boring in 2020. It's a fine lower-end steel, well suited for the general public, even if it doesn't satisfy the steel junkies anymore. :rolleyes:
I find that it works well in serrated edges, better than H-1 in fact. Haven't used it in PE enough to evaluate, but it seems to give satisfaction there too.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
knife__bro69

Post by knife__bro69 »

The Meat man wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:47 pm
The worst that can be said about VG-10 is that it is somewhat boring in 2020. It's a fine lower-end steel, well suited for the general public, even if it doesn't satisfy the steel junkies anymore. :rolleyes:
I find that it works well in serrated edges, better than H-1 in fact. Haven't used it in PE enough to evaluate, but it seems to give satisfaction there too.

Better than h1? That’s interesting
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Still ranks in my top three steels. I love it, boring as it may be.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

I have a couple of Delicas and an Endura with VG-10. They're very easy to sharpen and keep sharpened. I use the Endura in the kitchen.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

It had its place, there are more interesting steels to play with better designs and attributes that lose nothing to VG10.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

It's a good benchmark steel, in my opinion. A real 5 out of 10. Average ease to sharpen, average edge holding, very good corrosion resistance, average toughness. It holds up very well today even among more modern steels in it's class.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

knife__bro69 wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:50 pm
The Meat man wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:47 pm

Better than h1? That’s interesting
Yes, in my experience serrated VG-10 is less prone to edge damage than H-1. Probably because it is harder? I've had H-1 roll badly while cutting through rubber.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:22 pm
It had its place, there are more interesting steels to play with better designs and attributes that lose nothing to VG10.
I guess we have spy27 and lc200 as an upgrade path?
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

GarageBoy wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:06 pm
Deadboxhero wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:22 pm
I guess we have spy27 and lc200 as an upgrade path?
I've been pretty impressed by the sharpenability on the spy27.

I remember for a while I was disappointed that there was no USA made equivalents to some of the Japanese PM steels that seem to focus more on sharpenability and stability rather than raw carbide firepower.

It's also unusual to see a lower alloy PM steel since PM is expensive and usually all about shrinking down large volumes of carbides in more alloy heavy steels.

I think when you geek out on knife sharpening, steels like Cobalt Special and Sg2 really open one's eyes to the excitement of high sharpenability with great bite at the edge they definitely capture ones imagination when they first experience them compared to S30v which seems to prefer a toothier finish and doesn't sharpen as nicely however there have been improvements over the last 15 years for sure.

There has always been a nice sweet spot for high sharpenability to edge holding ratio in the Sg2 range of steels in the low 60 rc range.

It's nice to see Spyderco be so bold and chase that range of steel that technically on paper is inferior to S30v in edge holding but highly enjoyable in use and sharpenability in a wide range of geometries and edge finishes.

Balanced steels are always nice flavors to play with as are extreme ends of the spectrum that cater to fewer folks that lust for the limits.

I love me some Maxamet after all :D
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I really like VG-10. In fact, in its category (154cm, ATS-34, et. al) it is my favorite. It is well balanced and holds a great edge more than long enough. Though some steels, like 14c28n, hold a sharp edge longer, their working edge does not stay as long, it seems to me. VG-10 slowly gets less sharp and is decently tough. It has no drama anywhere.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

VG10 is still a great steel for the regular “man in the street”. I get that Deadboxhero and others that are steel enthusiasts want to push limits and I’m pleased they do because we all learn as a result but as a user, everyday steel, VG10 is really good. It is readily available and has a good balance of properties for the average person.

Two of my three most used kitchen knives are VG10 and get used daily. It’s my second most carried steel in my EDC folders.

It’s not going to shoot the lights out in 2021 but I think it should keep it’s spot as a popular steel in the market that it currently serves ... higher end mass market rather than the collectors and enthusiasts market.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Personally, I don’t really get ‘bored’ with steels that work for me and that I like. Maybe that makes ME boring. For myself, I don’t need a steel that holds an edge “forever”, but is a bear when it finally needs a substantial resharpening. There are some who extol the virtues of ‘super’ steels, who constantly feel the need to touch up their super steel blades after every day’s use, so as to maintain the edge, to avoid a full resharpening. What’s the difference between that and using a good steel that may not hold an edge as long, but is easier to resharpen when it becomes necessary?

I like steels like VG-10, LC200N, S30V, S35VN, etc. I have one knife in S110V, but I don’t use it very much. I tend to prefer good all-around steels.

I would like to try SPY27 at some point, but TBH, I just don’t get bored with steels that work for me and are easy for me to maintain. I’m really boring, because I even like the steel that Victorinox uses in their products (SAKs, kitchen knives, and multi-tools).

My late dad used his pocketknives harder during his lifetime than I do. He used them for work and all kinds of things. He had grown up on a farm. None of his knives were ‘super’ steel knives. His knives had hard, short lives. Not because he was careless with them, and not because he bought junk. His knives were mostly carbon steel Camillus knives (back when Camillus was the real Camillus). His most super knife was an early Buck 110, which probably had a blade of either 440C or maybe 425M. Beyond their use as tools, he didn’t give much thought to his knives. He would’ve thought I’m crazy to have all the knives I have. For him, VG-10 would have been a ‘super’ steel, and he would have pushed it to its limits, too.

In 5 to 10 years, many of the steels that steel enthusiasts are touting today as ‘super’ will be called boring and sub-par by some knife aficionados. But they’ll still be whatever they are today. Most average knife users, who use their knives a lot but aren’t knife aficionados, will never know or care about the latest-greatest super steels, now or 20 years from now.

I am not saying that advancements in steels isn’t great or isn’t necessary. But not everyone out there needs or wants the ‘latest-greatest’. Even some knife afis will not have enough day-to-day usage to really push the steels to their limits.

So, to conclude this rambling post, I still like VG-10 as much as I liked it almost two decades ago.

Jim
Last edited by James Y on Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I think BladeHQ's list (follow link to Knife Steel Guide) is fairly representative of how knife aficionados (on average) sort steels in 2020. There, VG-10 is listed as a mid-range steel in company with the likes of D2, 154CM, H1, N690 and others. They say:

"VG-10 exhibits many of the same qualities of 154CM with the largest difference being an increase in corrosion resistance. Absolutely good-to-go, VG-10 may be one of the most neutrally balanced steels on the market."

I think its balance (hardness, toughness, corrosion resistance, sharpenability) are what win allegiance. I think of it as a Toyota steel...it's not going to let you down, it's going to do everything pretty well...except impress your neighbor.
sal

Post by sal »

VG-10 ha been an excellent steel for us for more than 2 decades. We've sold millions of knives with this steel with no complaints. It is very unique in it's balance of blade steel properties.

sal
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

sal wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:19 am
VG-10 ha been an excellent steel for us for more than 2 decades. We've sold millions of knives with this steel with no complaints. It is very unique in it's balance of blade steel properties.

sal
Most knives sold in VG10? Highest selling steel for Spyderco?
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
wirelessjunkie

Post by wirelessjunkie »

VG10 still checks all the right boxes for me as far as a good all around user steel goes. I have it on both my folders and a kitchen knife I use all the time. As much fun as steels like K390, ZDP189, and S110V can be to play with sometimes it's just nice to have a steel that will tolerate a little neglect and sharpen back up easily in a snap without needing to use specialized sharpening equipment. I'm not one to assign steels to a heirarchy though, I look at knife steels as being more or less appropriate for specific applications. Some are more well rounded than others though.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

I like cobalt based steels. VG10 is a good allaround steel for the average end user but I really hope that SPY27 will replace VG10 and/or S30V as a default steel for Spyderco ... sooner rather than later. I like SPY27 quite a lot. It sharpens like a dream and takes a wicked bitey edge. I would instantly purchase a Millie in SPY27.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Very vanilla, some may say it's boring but I think there's value is "good old trusty ________”. There's a reason Levi's still sell a crap ton of 501 jeans, why Converse still sell the heck out of Chuck Taylors, and why companies like Case and Buck are still around doing much the same as they've always done. I'd say the vast majority of knife users probably don't pay as much attention to blade steel as us forumites, they just want reliable performance and VG10 absolutely provides that, as does S30V. I think we often forget that we forum members are a very very small segment of Spyderco's market and we're probably all a little bit jaded. There are still companies who's primary steel offering is 1095 and those companies are getting by just fine and it's no secret how basic and "boring" 1095 is but that doesn't make it any less effective.

My personal opinion, it's quite good in SE, I'd even say I like it more than S30V and of the steels I've tried in SE it places third behind LC200N and H1. I do wish it were less expensive, but being old and trusty and vanilla doesn't reduce the cost. If VG10 has a real problem it'll be getting priced out of the market. No matter how much everyone agrees that VG10 is a great steel, it's hard for the educated buyer to choose it over the next latest and greatest steel when the cost is similar or in some cases even less. You could make a sprint today with practically any handle material known to man but if the blade steel is VG10, the first thing people will complain about is "it's ONLY VG10" and I don't see that mentality reducing any time soon but rather becoming more and more widespread.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David