How Do Your Factory Seconds Look?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Pokey

How Do Your Factory Seconds Look?

Post by Pokey »

I only got two knives at the online Seconds Sale, a black/black Tenacious LW and a Maxamet PM 2. I picked them up yesterday.

I bought them with eyes wide open knowing that they’re seconds; I don’t have any regrets.

The only thing I can find on the Tenacious that might be a flaw is some of the black is rubbed off on the pivot T-nut. That’s it. (The cat hair wasn’t part of the deal. :rolleyes: ) It’s never going to look better once I use it.

The PM 2 has a warped blade that won’t affect anything. (It looks like a longitudinal Scandi grind, or a custom distal taper.) ;) I dusted off the edge on the white Tri-Angles of the Sharpmaker and I can fillet my finger prints off with it. It’s a razor.
Attachments
A7885F21-8FAB-48C3-A8CC-F007F6495974.jpeg
6BC3DBC4-42DF-458E-B463-DE6063E79C5E.jpeg
AA711FCD-F32D-40F2-91FF-7515CFE235F0.jpeg
VooDooChild

Re: How Do Your Factory Seconds Look?

Post by VooDooChild »

I was suprised how cheap the maxamet pm2s were, but that picture explains it. Looks bad but Im sure it will cut. Is it touching the scale?

I havent got mine yet so Ill let you know when they come in.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

I won't care as long as they function. Will report back when they come in.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Yowza! That Maxamet almost has a straight razor grind going on. I wonder if that is from grinding or the heat treat?

Tough to manufacture, may be an understatement. I can see where the high MSRP comes from.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

VooDooChild wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:36 pm
I was suprised how cheap the maxamet pm2s were, but that picture explains it. Looks bad but Im sure it will cut. Is it touching the scale?

I havent got mine yet so Ill let you know when they come in.
Nope, the blade doesn’t touch the liner. And when I open it with my thumb it’ll push it towards the center, so it won’t scrape it either.
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:45 pm
Yowza! That Maxamet almost has a straight razor grind going on. I wonder if that is from grinding or the heat treat?
As I recall it was from the heat treat.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I'll let you know how my two look as soon as I receive them. I got my shipping notice for the SpyOpera earlier. I don't think I've received one for the Paysan yet. I'm anxious to see what both look like but really excited about the Paysan. I've lusted over the Paysan since they were first announced. I was going to buy one from a dealer but it was a lot of money for me to spend on one knife. Plus there were always lower priced models I wanted. So I never bought the Paysan. I didn't think I'd see one in the seconds sale and I scrambled to buy when I saw it come up for sale.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Lucabrasi

Post by Lucabrasi »

Hmm. That seems like more than a minor aesthetic flaw. My brother got one of those...hoping it’s not quite that for his sake.
Current Spyderco: Native 5 LW s35vn; Delica zdp; Caly 3.5 zdp/CF; Chapparel FRN cts xhp; Southard 204p; Kapara s30v; Ikuchi s30v; Spydiechef lc200n, Waterway Lc200n; Manix 2 LW 20cv

Past Spyderco: Endura zdp; Manix 2 LW s110v; Paramilitary 2 s30v
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Yeah, that looks significant to me, but if it cuts, it cuts, I guess.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I imagine most of the Maxamets are warped. That was reportedly the big problem sometime ago.
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

ABX2011 wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:27 pm
I imagine most of the Maxamets are warped. That was reportedly the big problem sometime ago.
Could be. But last year I picked up a Para 3 and a Native 5 with Maxamet blades and all I could see wrong with them were water spots/streaks on the metal; no warping on these two.
Attachments
1FCF0C61-508D-43FE-8E3E-DEC88BE86075.jpeg
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Does it warp enough that it can't be sharpened on a stone?
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

GarageBoy wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:30 pm
Does it warp enough that it can't be sharpened on a stone?
No, the bend isn't that great. It's a very slight bend, so It sharpens just fine. It really looks worse than it is with regards to sharpening it or using it.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Still waiting for mine. It seems like part of the fun is trying to spot the flaws when they're not so obvious.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Good score on the Tenacious LW. That one and the Endura K390 are the two I am most upset about missing out on. I would have bought a handful of each. I will post up the "flaws" on my 3 Militaries and Pac Salt when they arrive!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
ChopSliceStab

Post by ChopSliceStab »

Lucabrasi wrote: Hmm. That seems like more than a minor aesthetic flaw. My brother got one of those...hoping it’s not quite that for his sake.
Agreed, that looks to be more than cosmetic/aesthetic. I grabbed a Maxamet PM 2 from the sale too. This thread ruined my day but I'm still hoping it doesn't look like that when it shows up.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

If you bought a Second expecting it to be perfect, well that's all on you. I won't be disappointed at all if my Waterway shows obvious flaws.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

Got my email notifications and they're all scheduled to arrive Friday. I too scored a Maxamet PM2 but have a deal to trade it for a Maxamet Para 3 as I much prefer it to the PM2. I knew going in that their will be flaws, but like someone else said hope my Maxamet doesn't look like that.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

One thing I'll say is, I would never have bought that PM2 if I was buying in person at the normal seconds sale.
-Nick :bug-red
ChopSliceStab

Post by ChopSliceStab »

JRinFL wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:54 am
If you bought a Second expecting it to be perfect, well that's all on you. I won't be disappointed at all if my Waterway shows obvious flaws.
Nobody expected perfection, but there’s lots of ground between perfection and a blade that comes back to you when you throw it. :D