How Do Your Factory Seconds Look?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
NarwhalisnotKosher

Re: How Do Your Factory Seconds Look?

Post by NarwhalisnotKosher »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:50 pm
The Meat man wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:24 pm
NarwhalisnotKosher wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:49 pm

I can't figure out why it's a second. A couple minor snail trails? Edges of the scales look great,blade is straight, locks up perfectly, and the grind is even.
Forget the Spydiechef! What about that Shiro?? ;)
That's what I was thinking too

I've been eyeballing that one &/or the little Shiro Neon NL for awhile now. Probably won't happen now after the seconds sale haha. I also have some more rifle gear to buy. Can't do it all :)
If you're thinking about it, do it. They're pretty awesome. It has made me appreciate some of the little things Spyderco does as well. They're in different classes I suppose but Spyderco does things above their "level"
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I won't have pictures posted until tomorrow morning, but my Maxamet PM2 showed up and it's pretty flawless!! Two of the screws have a tiny knick in them, and one of the scales has a tiny ding in the G10 that I really had to search for. Kind of like 1 little pixel on a tv that isn't quite right.

I honestly can't believe this knife was only $79!! It's perfectly centered, no warp, nothing wrong with the blade on either side, even bevels, nothing wrong with the jimping. My wife and daughter looked it over along side another PM2 as well and they couldn't find anything either.

What a steal!!! Thank you Spyderco!! I can't wait to use this next week and finally contribute Maxamet to that list of steels in the review thread that I was working on for a while, until I ran out of new steels to try :p
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:18 pm
I won't have pictures posted until tomorrow morning, but my Maxamet PM2 showed up and it's pretty flawless!! Two of the screws have a tiny knick in them, and one of the scales has a tiny ding in the G10 that I really had to search for. Kind of like 1 little pixel on a tv that isn't quite right.

I honestly can't believe this knife was only $79!! It's perfectly centered, no warp, nothing wrong with the blade on either side, even bevels, nothing wrong with the jimping. My wife and daughter looked it over along side another PM2 as well and they couldn't find anything either.

What a steal!!! Thank you Spyderco!! I can't wait to use this next week and finally contribute Maxamet to that list of steels in the review thread that I was working on for a while, until I ran out of new steels to try :p
Nice score Rick! You'll like Maxamet! If the factory edge is sharp start taking it to work with you. I think you'll be amazed by how long it keeps cutting.

That reminds me, I need to get that Sage 1 I picked up in my pocket more
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
hereiamu1

Post by hereiamu1 »

Just got my Para 3 Maxamet. Centering slightly to the show side. Uneven grind, not sure if that could be because of a slight blade warp? Some of the jimping isn't perfect but that is being really picky. Action is perfect. Overall very happy with the way it is. If and when I get around to taking it apart I will see if I an center the blade better. If not no problem.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/191362838 ... res/4Zwd41

https://www.flickr.com/photos/191362838 ... res/9t29yR

https://www.flickr.com/photos/191362838 ... res/8484S9

https://www.flickr.com/photos/191362838 ... res/qpx8SG

https://www.flickr.com/photos/191362838 ... res/bdak34

https://www.flickr.com/photos/191362838 ... res/0Cg935

https://www.flickr.com/photos/191362838 ... res/g18Sa4

My Para 3 collection

https://www.flickr.com/photos/191362838 ... res/Ss23R9
hereiamu1

Post by hereiamu1 »

Just got my Para 3 Maxamet. Centering slightly to the show side. Uneven grind, not sure if that could be because of a slight blade warp? Some of the jimping isn't perfect but that is being really picky. Action is perfect. Overall very happy with the way it is. If and when I get around to taking it apart I will see if I an center the blade better. If not no problem.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/191362838 ... res/4Zwd41

https://www.flickr.com/photos/191362838 ... res/9t29yR

https://www.flickr.com/photos/191362838 ... res/8484S9

https://www.flickr.com/photos/191362838 ... res/qpx8SG

https://www.flickr.com/photos/191362838 ... res/bdak34

https://www.flickr.com/photos/191362838 ... res/0Cg935

https://www.flickr.com/photos/191362838 ... res/g18Sa4

My Para 3 collection

https://www.flickr.com/photos/191362838 ... res/Ss23R9
ChopSliceStab

Post by ChopSliceStab »

Looking down the spine of my PM2 it looks almost like it leans left toward the tip but laying it flat on the edge of a surface it doesn’t actually curve. I’d guess someone tried to cheat a very slight warp with a slightly uneven grind. It worked out and looks good as far as I’m concerned.
hereiamu1

Post by hereiamu1 »

My Para 3 collection

DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Good lord.. the number of people on the facebook stating that their seconds look perfect "except for a small knick by the thumb hole".... is just one of the many reasons that I don't take any of the knife groups on the facebook seriously.. :p

UPS tracking is now stating Monday delivery for me.. eagerly awaiting my Military second! :)
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
hereiamu1

Post by hereiamu1 »

I made a mess! How do I delete post? Having trouble inserting pics, it's been awhile. :p
vivi

Post by vivi »

hereiamu1 wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:50 pm
I made a mess! How do I delete post? Having trouble inserting pics, it's been awhile. :p
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=83968
:unicorn
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Last shipment just received. In the center from bottom to top is the VG-10 Chef's Knife, Manix XL, Waterway, Ronin, Reverse, Nightstick and Hatchethawk. The Ronin and Hatchet are labeled as having a scratch. Can't find anything wrong with any of them, appreciate the smaller notches. On the outside clockwise are seconds I've had for many years: H1 Spyderhawk, ZDP-189 CF Stretch, Manix CTS-XHP (liner powder coated brown), 52100 Mule, M4 Mule, Hossum Forager, Ti Military (powder coated green sparkle), forget to put the Temp 2 in the photo. The Spyderco bandana was a nice surprise.

Last edited by Sequimite on Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

TkoK83Spy wrote:

Nice! I've been waiting for your review and thoughts Rick!
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I got mine.

The z-cut seems fine. I think they really just didnt have packaging.

My native 5 lightweight ce is perfect. I cant tell anything thats wrong with it. There was some residue on the blade from tape or a sticker, not the seconds sticker, it looks like there was another sticker on it before. I wiped it off and I cant tell anything thats wrong with it. Its also an s35vn model so I like that.

The parata isnt perfect but its useable. The lock toggle is slightly out of line with the blade tang. The parata has 2 pairs of different size washers. I am pretty sure I am missing a washer on one side. I cant be sure until I take it apart but I think it is missing one. I am really hoping a reassembly with an extra washer will get it how it is supposed to be. If it is not missing a washer then I hope a careful reassembly will fix the lock toggle being in-line with the blade tang.

The lock toggle engagenent can sometimes be high and sometimes be right.I have noticed if the toggle thumb stud engages high it can be pushed down all the way. It will also seat all the way if the blade gets worked up and down in the locked position just a little bit. Im pretty sure as the lock breaks in in it will seat normally.
Last edited by VooDooChild on Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Sequimite wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:14 pm
Last shipment just received. In the center from bottom to top is the VG-10 Chef's Knife, Manix XL, Waterway, Ronin, Reverse, Nightstick and Hatchethawk. The Ronin and Hatchet are labeled as having a scratch. Can't find anything wrong with any of them, appreciate the smaller notches. On the outside clockwise are seconds I've had for many years: H1 Spyderhawk, ZDP-189 CF Stretch, Manix CTS-XHP (liner powder coated brown), 52100 Mule, M4 Mule, Hossum Forester, Ti Military (powder coated green sparkle), forget to put the Temp 2 in the photo. The Spyderco bandana was a nice surprise.

Probably gonna kick myself someday that I didn't get that nightstick for $100...
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I got my Native 5 today and it appears that the jimping is a little uneven and botched a bit on the lock bar and at the very end of the tang where it meets the lock bar. Otherwise it's good to go.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

DSH007 wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:49 pm
Good lord.. the number of people on the facebook stating that their seconds look perfect "except for a small knick by the thumb hole".... is just one of the many reasons that I don't take any of the knife groups on the facebook seriously.. :p
:D
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Sequimite wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:14 pm
Last shipment just received. In the center from bottom to top is the VG-10 Chef's Knife, Manix XL, Waterway, Ronin, Reverse, Nightstick and Hatchethawk. The Ronin and Hatchet are labeled as having a scratch. Can't find anything wrong with any of them, appreciate the smaller notches. On the outside clockwise are seconds I've had for many years: H1 Spyderhawk, ZDP-189 CF Stretch, Manix CTS-XHP (liner powder coated brown), 52100 Mule, M4 Mule, Hossum Forager, Ti Military (powder coated green sparkle), forget to put the Temp 2 in the photo. The Spyderco bandana was a nice surprise.

[img]https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5FF8F141[/img
So what's the story on the powder coated knives? Did you do that yourself?
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Talking to the folks at the local powder coat shop I broached the subject and they offered to do a handful of parts, with different color for each part, for $40. the Ti Military is the only one with textured coating which I loved for grip but which is starting to peel in the hardest wear area. The other two have smooth finishes and have no wear problems so far.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:03 pm
I got my Native 5 today and it appears that the jimping is a little uneven and botched a bit on the lock bar and at the very end of the tang where it meets the lock bar. Otherwise it's good to go.
That's the only thing wrong with mine - will make good sharpening practice once I get some miles on it
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:26 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:

Nice score Rick! You'll like Maxamet! If the factory edge is sharp start taking it to work with you. I think you'll be amazed by how long it keeps cutting.

That reminds me, I need to get that Sage 1 I picked up in my pocket more
It wasn't SUPER sharp like some knives I've got out of the box (this one didn't come with a box)

So I was interested in how it would touch up, to my surprise after about 5 minutes on the browns and a few passes on the fine rods, it was sticky sharp! So she's ready to roll Monday morning :)

After switching up the clip to a deep carry and tip up, the knife is suddenly not perfectly centered. I tinkered a bit but this is as good as I can get it. No biggie though, nothing rubs. For some reason I can't get the pic of the dinged screws to come through.
Resized_20201212_083241_3349462457885.jpeg
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick