How Do Your Factory Seconds Look?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
OppositeJay

Re: How Do Your Factory Seconds Look?

Post by OppositeJay »

sal wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:47 am
Hi OpposiiteJay,

Welcome to our forum.

sal

Thanks for the warm welcome Sal!
Last edited by OppositeJay on Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

My pm2 came in looks like bad centering no warp. The ffg looks maybe .001" deeper on the show side. Im happy its not a potato chip.
Attachments
20201211_141337_compress40.jpg
20201211_141348_compress89.jpg
20201211_141356_compress38.jpg
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

My pm2 maxamet looks almost perfect, blade centering is off by a small margin. Love it! Pm3 lwt I have no idea why it’s a second. And my dlc digi military looks perfect two besides the extremely large seconds notch which is misplaced, which makes me think that it was a mistake and not an actual seconds notch. Love all 3, great condition
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Mine is sitting on my doorstep right now :(

I've never been so excited and nervous about a knife haha. Normally you know what to expect, this time it's anyone's guess!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
ramasipsc

Post by ramasipsc »

Pokey wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:22 am
ramasipsc wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:38 pm
That open post PM2 with maxamet blade wrap is bad. Hope my 2 PM2 will not look like that. Those blades should be destroyed.

*Edited for family friendliness. TazKristi*
Hey ramasipsc,

I'm the original poster of this thread. Yes, the blade looks bad, because we're used to seeing straight blades on brand new knives. Like I said in my original post I knew I was buying factory 2nds and it was a roll of the dice as to what I'd get from the Sale. The PM 2 I got performs 100%.

I took the knives to work and showed a coworker the two I got from the Sale. He and I have been to the in person Sales in the past. He looked them over, flicked them open and closed and didn't see anything wrong with either of them. I pointed out the little scuff mark on the Tenacious and the blade on the PM 2. His response was, "So,?"

The PM 2 will be a knife I won't baby. I'm not going to abuse it either, but I will put it to good use to see just how the Maxamet holds up.

With the reviews rolling in as people get their knives delivered it sounds like people are having a hard time seeing any defects at all.

Here's hoping that when you get your factory 2nds you'll have a hard time telling why it's a 2nd. Let us know. ;)
Hey Pokey,
Sorry got a little bit emotional. If you like your knife then is fine. Enjoy and use it.
I_like_knives

Post by I_like_knives »

Para3 Maxamet showed up today.

Blade is very slightly warped to the show side making it appear just a tiny bit off center. The bend is practically unnoticable unless you eye ball straight down the spine. Even then, it is subtle. All this is pretty much a non-issue.

The action is very stiff though. Its a thumb roll opener, and two handed closer. My guess is this is why it was rejected.

No real complaints from me though. Rest of the knife is spot on, and I am confident that I can fix the pivot. It took a few attempts, but I managed to get a very stiff 20cv PM2 from last year's sale last working very well.
Last edited by I_like_knives on Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JBT

Post by JBT »

Received my military 2nd yesterday
Looked it over and didn't see any obvious cosmetic flaws.

But then I opened it up and it fails to lock the blade unless you really flick it open hard.

If you open it normally, the liner lock doesn't fully engaged and the blade can be released with just a slight amount of pressure. This is a safety hazzard if one is not aware of it.
It looks like the blade is just resting against the steel ball detent on the liner instead of the liner.

When you flick it open hard, part of the linerlock does rest against the blade, but I don't know if it is enough, as I don't how much overlap there normally should be, and I don't want to test it by forcing the blade closed.

Do I need to take the knife apart and bend the liner lock out further or is there some other adjustment I should do?
Really disappointed.
MrBro-W

Post by MrBro-W »

flmosinman124 wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:48 am
My Shaman is perfect.
I was so bummed when I heard of that drop only to get on 2 min later to see the Shaman sold out. Was really hoping to snag one of those.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

tcd511 wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:34 am

Did all that and sadly there is nothing. I check the credit card I used and there is no charge showing for what I bought either.
I got my order in on Thursday didn't get charged till Monday afternoon when it shipped. If you have an order number just reach out to them.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

My Waterway arrived just now. The defect was damage to the bottom of the tang and offside scale. That's all I can find and it will in no way hinder use. I assume the sheath gets put back into inventory for warranty claims. Other than a sticker, no freebies for me in the box.
Screen Shot 2020-12-11 at 3.50.31 PM.png
Sorry, a little out of focus.

Edited to add: Hmm, seems to have been just some glue squeeze out. It scraped off so, yay!
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

JBT wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:25 pm
Received my military 2nd yesterday
Looked it over and didn't see any obvious cosmetic flaws.

But then I opened it up and it fails to lock the blade unless you really flick it open hard.

If you open it normally, the liner lock doesn't fully engaged and the blade can be released with just a slight amount of pressure. This is a safety hazzard if one is not aware of it.
It looks like the blade is just resting against the steel ball detent on the liner instead of the liner.

When you flick it open hard, part of the linerlock does rest against the blade, but I don't know if it is enough, as I don't how much overlap there normally should be, and I don't want to test it by forcing the blade closed.

Do I need to take the knife apart and bend the liner lock out further or is there some other adjustment I should do?
Really disappointed.
Hey, JBT:
Welcome to our forum. If your Military Model doesn't lock open, that is a safety issue. Please send me a PM with your contact information (name, address, phone, and e-mail) and I will have someone from SFO follow-up with you. We'll arrange to get you a replacement and return the knife you received.

Thanks much.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
moebravo

Post by moebravo »

I received 2 pm2s today. One is in great condition. The other one does not have a pocket clip. Person on the phone said that may be why it's a factory second. No threads so no clip. Didn't realize that was an option. They were nice enough to send a new pocket clip. I hope I'm able to finagle something. Both of these were gifts.

I'm also still waiting for my first of 3 orders. 2 and 3 arrived today which I find strange as I received an email saying it was shipped and my card was charged yet I still do not have a tracking number.

Will keep everyone in the loop. Have a good day.
vivi

Post by vivi »

My Millie has early lock up but its plenty secure. Pivot is a little stiff but that could just be because its new and needs broken in. PM2 is flawless except a tiny scratch on the clip.

:unicorn
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

vivi wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:52 pm
... PM2 is flawless except a tiny scratch on the clip.
In cases like this I wonder why they didn't just get a new clip?
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
KenD

Post by KenD »

I got a Para 3 LW and one side of the blade did not get polished, plus no Spydee logo. But perfectly functional. I'm happy with it!

I've always wanted to go to Switzerland to see what the army does with those wee red knives. - Billy Connolly
vivi

Post by vivi »

The Meat man wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:23 pm
vivi wrote:
Hah, my thoughts exactly.
:unicorn
S120807

Post by S120807 »

vivi wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:26 pm
The Meat man wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:23 pm
vivi wrote:
Hah, my thoughts exactly.
I received a knife with a broken clip. I wonder why they couldn’t have just replaced the clip it wouldn’t be that hard.
"Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
ChopSliceStab

Post by ChopSliceStab »

Maxamet Native 5 looks pretty flawless aside from the notch. No warp. Maybe it’s cursed or haunted or something?

Maxamet PM2 looks excellent. Upon further review I’m not sure there’s an issue with the blade at all, the centering just needed the slightest adjustment. No complaints whatsoever.

Sun & Moon arrives tomorrow, but even if it has big issues this is already a win for me.
Last edited by ChopSliceStab on Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NarwhalisnotKosher

Post by NarwhalisnotKosher »

nerdlock wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:29 pm
NarwhalisnotKosher wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:49 pm

I can't figure out why it's a second. A couple minor snail trails? Edges of the scales look great,blade is straight, locks up perfectly, and the grind is even.

I think maybe because it's not the latest CQI version with the blacked out screws...
Ohh. I'll take it! I'm not worried about screws
NarwhalisnotKosher

Post by NarwhalisnotKosher »

The Meat man wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:24 pm
NarwhalisnotKosher wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:49 pm

I can't figure out why it's a second. A couple minor snail trails? Edges of the scales look great,blade is straight, locks up perfectly, and the grind is even.
Forget the Spydiechef! What about that Shiro?? ;)
I like the Chef!

I was carrying the Shiro when the Chef arrived and it was a good height to angle the chef to show the snail trails I was thinking made it a second