Spyderco Standard Clip vs. Lynch vs. MXG Gear

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
nerdlock

Spyderco Standard Clip vs. Lynch vs. MXG Gear

Post by nerdlock »

TL; DR : Which aftermarket deep carry clip has the most retention tension in the pocket? (lost knives due to loose clip tension)

------------

First of all, I love the standard Spyderco spoon clip. It's strong and more importantly it clips into my front pocket securely. I'm maybe just in the minority who loves how the standard clip bites into the pocket that any accidental dislodging of the knife is more or less impossible. As someone who carries my Spydercos in the front pocket together with my phone, this is important to me since my I use my phone a lot, and it often leaves and enters my pocket several times during the course of the day. I have lost several knives in the past (thankfully, none of the Spydercos) because each time I take my phone out the knife beside it also dislodges due to act itself. Spyderco's clip works great in this regard, in that no matter how often I take out my phone, the knife stays secure in its place in my pocket because of the clip.

But the downside here is that because of the inherent nature of its design, the knife handle sticks out and lately some of my co-workers as well as security personnel from other offices have often noticed this. As many of us know here the most infamous of this is the Para 3, which coincidentally is one of my most favored EDC knives.

This takes me to the 2 most popular deep carry clip options out there, the Lynch NW and the MXG Gear deep carry clips. I only have experience with a MXG deep carry installed on a Para 3 which I got from another collector, but unfortunately the clip has very little tension and the knife slides easily in an out of my pocket, offering little to almost no resistance at all. It almost leads me to believe that it may be a counterfeit, but I have no idea if there are counterfeit MXG Gear clips out there in the market today. I'm just disappointed that for something supposedly made out of Titanium, the standard Spyderco clip seems much more stronger and has more tension than it.

I have no experience yet with Lynch clips, because in the past I have found their design oddly unappetizing and slightly out of place with the Para 3/PM2 design aesthetic. I know there are many who prefer their designs. It is only lately that I have been looking at this brand again after looking for replacement clips for my other Para 3s in my collection. I'm opening myself to getting these clips if they can match the Spyderco or at least have more tension than my experience with the only MXG clip I have.

What are your experiences with either the Lynch or the MXG, how does your copy compare to the stock Spyderco clip? Do your copies have the same or less tension as the Spyderco or not?

I would love to hear thoughts and opinions on this matter.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Menipo

Re: Spyderco Standard Clip vs. Lynch vs. MXG Gear

Post by Menipo »

I've never used MXG clips but I do use Lynch's. They are perfect and have the same tension as the original Spydercos (at least the original clips of my Spydies out of the box). In fact, I substitute ALL Spyderco non-deep carry clips, as soon as I receive the knives, with Lynch clips (if one is available for that model) because when I put a knife in my pocket I need it to be as little noticeable as possible.

Plus, Casey Lynch is a top guy and it's a real pleasure to do business with him. I will tell you a little anecdote.

I was looking for a deep carry clip for my C44 Dyad. None of the current deep carry clips that he makes to fit Spydercos work for the Dyad. I talked to him. After thinking about it, he told me that most likely the deep carry clip that he makes for another brand could work because the configuration of the three screws that fix the original Dyad clip is almost the same as that of the other brand. And he proposed me to buy the clip from the other brand and try it at HIS own (not my) risk: if the clip did not work for the Dyad, he would reimburse me the money paid and I would not have to return the clip (I could keep it for another use) because living in Europe the return shipping costs would be higher than the price paid. For me that is a first class type.

On a side note, I do not understand why Spyderco's deep carry clips are not really deep carry (always a part, even if it is small, of the knife sticks out of the pocket).

Someone once said that it was Sal's conscious decision not to hurt the business of people like Casey. But I am sure that the quote was not accurate: if I wouldn't want to hurt Casey and others' business at all, I wouldn't do deep carry clips but if I decide to do them, I would make them truly deep carry.

Maybe i'm missing something ...
Si vis pacem para bellum ;)
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

I'm using MXG titanium deep carry clip on my Delica, and it has less tension than the original stainless steel.

If you look through the threads, you can see that stainless steel needs much more force to bend (plastic deformation) than commercial titanium. In practice, SS will hold better as a clip, but titanum can be flexed back into original position with lesser risk of breaking (if both are deformed).

Not sure which material is Lynch actually using, says titanium
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Had both and find the Lynch the best tension probably as much as a new Spyderco one and hands down the best for a Parra 3

Lynch deep carry clips are the best and only ones I use nowadays.
(Have one of his prybars also)
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

nerdlock wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:58 am

What are your experiences with either the Lynch or the MXG, how does your copy compare to the stock Spyderco clip? Do your copies have the same or less tension as the Spyderco or not?

I have a couple of Lynches and MXGs that I use a lot. They're both adequately springy, and I'd have to examine them really closely to tell you if they're tighter or looser than factory Spyderco clips. The exception is the deep carry MXG that replaces the Spyderco wire clip. It doesn't have as much tension as a regular Spyderco clip. Since I don't have any wire clips installed on knives, I can't tell you how the MXG differs from them.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Spydercos clips are pretty stiff out of the box but eventually they will flex easier after they're broken in. I think most of my MXG's feel like a broken in Spyderco clip. I haven't noticed any break in with the titanium, they feel the same as when new. I have noticed a difference when it comes to clip style though. A wider or shorter clip style is going to be stiffer than a longer or skinnier style. There's a higher leverage on the longer deep carry clips making them easier to manipulate. The stiffest aftermarket clip i have is the MXG 102381 (i call it my shorty clip). It's not as deep carry as the other clips and the end won't land in the correct spot on some Seki models and I'm not entirely sure which knife it's supposed to go on, but it fits my Manix 2 or Smock nicely.
I purchased a Lynch clip for a Para3 that i gifted to someone... It felt the same as the comparable MXG in the very short time i had it.
I hate the feeling of my knife riding "on" my pocket rather than "in" my pocket. To me, "in" the pocket deep carry clips feel more secure than a stiffer "on" the pocket spoon clip feels. This feeling seems to diminish when carrying a larger knife vs smaller.
•• Beau
Lumpy

Post by Lumpy »

I actually love the regular spyderco clip and don’t really like deep carry. That said, the para 3 sticks up a bit too much for comfort. I use the long straight MXG clip on my para 3s and don’t it works great. The retention is just as much as a regular clip and it carried a bit deeper, not completely deep carry but pretty close. This clip also lands exactly where the regular clip does, so I think that extra length helps it feel secure in the pocket and doesn’t effect the ergos of the knife. Also, seemingly unpopular opinion, but I don’t like the look of the lynch/MXG clips with the hole for the screws.

Here’s the clip on the MXG site https://mxggear.com/collections/para-3/ ... co-para-10
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I have both MXG and Lynch clips. I've never had any issue with either of them.

I prefer Lynch because of my customer service experiences with the owner (going back to when he was just selling them on BF). He's a stand up guy who will bend over backward to make his customers (us) happy.
AHarbuck

Post by AHarbuck »

TomAiello wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:36 pm
I have both MXG and Lynch clips. I've never had any issue with either of them.

I prefer Lynch because of my customer service experiences with the owner (going back to when he was just selling them on BF). He's a stand up guy who will bend over backward to make his customers (us) happy.
This.

When the Lynch wire clip compatible option first came out, I asked Casey if it would work on my sage 5LW. He replied he wasn’t certain but thought so and said that if I ordered one and it didn’t fit as well as I expected he would refund me no questions asked. He’s the real deal. The clip works perfectly, and I am a lifelong fan.
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

I like all 3 clip styles/brands. The thing that has defeated clip retention the most in my experiences is sitting on a wicker chair. I've had clips bent and broken, and knives removed from the pockets while using that style chair. Seat belts are good at snatching knives too.
knife__bro69

Post by knife__bro69 »

Ive tried all 3 clips.

Honestly, after I got past my “need” for deep carry, I really enjoy the Spyderco clips. Regardless or a deep clip or not, people are going to know you are carrying a knife if they see any kind of clip. The Spyderco clip allows for an easy grab, and slides into the pocket with ease. It also doesn’t cost $20-30 more dollars 😂
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Thanks for all the replies, it is much appreciated.

I really love the tension on the stock Spyderco clip as I haven't had any knife accidentally dislodged from my pocket in my daily use, even my years-old Delica. But due to work-related and social concerns as mentioned in my opening statement, a deep carry clip is now a must.

I emailed Casey about his clip tension and he said that it is about more or less similar, except that steel is less springy than titanium.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
autoxer

Post by autoxer »

Add another huge fan for Lynch NW, and Casey, who is an absolute pleasure to do business with.

I’m not a huge fan of the stock Spyderco spoon clip, but I did give it a try. I almost lost my Salt 2 getting out of a vehicle, which would have been a bummer as I had only carried the knife a few times at that point. Something about the combination of the stock clip, stock ride height, and my pant pockets just does not mesh, and the knife wanted to easily come out of my pocket when I moved around or sat down. I was really bummed and didn’t want to carry the knife, with fear of losing it.

I had previously received a short Lynch NW clip as a gift for my S45VN PM2 and liked it. Nice and grippy, high quality, nice fit and finish, and I like the look. I decided to order the long one for my Salt 2 and honestly, it completely changed the knife for me. I carry it all the time now and have never again had an issue. The retention seems far better to me. I’m also a fan of deep carry anyway, so it all worked out great in my case.

I’ll be putting these on any Spyderco knives I own from now on, as I can’t imagine not using them. I have not tried MXG, so no experience there, but I’m so happy with the Lynch NW clips that I’m not looking elsewhere now.

After this experience, I also reached out to Casey with a strange request, and he didn’t even seem phased. He’s a great guy to support.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I Lynch'd a Manix and a Stretch with deep carry ti clips. They're both very secure in pocket and take a little extra effort to get out. Slower on the draw but awesome for retention. A little more visible than the Spyderco wire clips, if you are looking for stealth.

The Caly is the master of disguise, IMO. Just disappears. One of the reasons I love it so. Inside waistband with clip hidden under the belt, and it just disappears.
skx013k2

Post by skx013k2 »

Lynch clips are great and very well made. Highly recommended.

The only issue I have with aftermarket deep carry clips for The Delica handle is they appear much “longer” because the top starts at the top of the knife and the bottom reaches to the smooth part of the scales. It’s perfect from a functional standpoint as going to the smooth logo part of the scale ensures it doesn’t destroy your pocket, but it results in a much longer clip showing on the outside of the pocket.

The Para 3 LW solves this by going tip up only and moving that smooth logo spot is closer to the end of one side.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

I have used both, and also haven't noticed a difference between the two and the stock clip. And yes, Lynch provides a great service in addition to a great product.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
autoxer

Post by autoxer »

skx013k2 wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:10 am
The only issue I have with aftermarket deep carry clips for The Delica handle is they appear much “longer” because the top starts at the top of the knife and the bottom reaches to the smooth part of the scales. It’s perfect from a functional standpoint as going to the smooth logo part of the scale ensures it doesn’t destroy your pocket, but it results in a much longer clip showing on the outside of the pocket.

This is a really good point, I totally agree. Just the nature of a deep carry clip for the Delica because of where that smooth spot is located on the scales. My shorter Lynch NW clip for my PM2 has a much lower visual profile, and I prefer that look over the longer clip on the Delica. My PM2 actually carries more discretely than my Salt 2 because of this difference.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

I have a handful of different Lynch clips and many MXG clips. Lynch makes a great clip and I will echo that Casey's customer service is top-rate. For that reason, I really like supporting his business. Aesthetically though, I do prefer MXG Gear clips.. particularly the #102081.

I can't recall off the top of my head any issues with retention on any of the clips, Lynch or MXG, that I have. Some may be more or less stiff than others, but this is no different than with factory clips.. by and large, they all have sufficient retention to hold a knife securely in the pocket. On those clips that work themselves loose with age, or by snagging on objects, a quick squish with the pliers gets them back in order in no time..
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

I'm stealing this thread, not to open another one for just one question:

MXG owners with PVD black clips - how is the durability on those?

Lynch has no clips for Native 5 LW (they said in 2022.), so I'm stuck with MXG for deep carry clip.

I wear the knife in bsck pocket and ALL the clips I had, no matter which brand, would come up scratched shortly (1 or 2 times carry top without premanent damage to paint).

Only thing I've ever seen hold up has been DLC on Cold Steel blades.

I've read Lynch has cerakote finish, so if anyone could tell how that holds up.
Henry_P

Post by Henry_P »

I’ve had plenty of both mxg and lynch clips. Mxg clips are slightly stiffer in my opinion. I prefer lynch however because he makes left handed clips and customer service is among the best I’ve ever seen.
Para 3 Maxamet | Para 3 CruWear DLC | Smock M4 Jade G-10 | Shaman Z-Wear Micarta | Salt 2 LC200N Wharnie | Chaparral Birdseye Maple | Lil’ Native S90V CF | Dragonfly 2 20CV | Ladybug K390 | CRK Small Sebenza 31 S45VN PJ