Blades slightly above legal limit

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Burton Knut

Re: Blades slightly above legal limit

Post by Burton Knut »

Tennessee has no statewide knife restrictions, but I’ve typically been of the mindset (especially before I moved here) that I’ll carry what I want and just try to avoid giving any law officers a reason to search.
knife__bro69

Post by knife__bro69 »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:33 am
jpm2 wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:23 am
Evil D wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:19 am
Until the laws chance there's always a Dremel.
Problem solved.

There's just no way I'm going to let 0.1 of an inch stand between me and a knife I really like. You could nip that much off with a piece of sandpaper just by sanding the spine down a bit and if you use the right grit it'll look factory and nobody will know the difference. It's not going to look significantly different being a tenth of an inch shorter. Sure it would be nice to not have to do this stuff, especially if DLC is involved, but until then it's really easy to make due.
Do you think I could do it with a doublestuff 2?
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

knife__bro69 wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:52 pm
Evil D wrote:
jpm2 wrote:
Evil D wrote:
Problem solved.

There's just no way I'm going to let 0.1 of an inch stand between me and a knife I really like. You could nip that much off with a piece of sandpaper just by sanding the spine down a bit and if you use the right grit it'll look factory and nobody will know the difference. It's not going to look significantly different being a tenth of an inch shorter. Sure it would be nice to not have to do this stuff, especially if DLC is involved, but until then it's really easy to make due.
The cbn side of a doublestuff2 should make short work out of lc200n. Go slow with medium pressure and don't gouge the tip into the stone.
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

Naperville wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:15 am
KNIFE FRIENDLY STATES

Arizona
Idaho
South Dakota (OK, EXCEPT FOR DEADWOOD)
Texas
... there may be more.

I look for knife friendly states all of the time, and collect info on where I'd like to retire. I'd like to carry a 5.5 to 7 inch blade on my hip for self defense.

I live in Illinois. Certain municipalities like Chicago, there are restrictions on blade length. Statewide, there is no legal limit outside of the restrictive munis as long as you intend no harm. However, the minute that you become a criminal, a 3 inch "limit" is imposed for laws that have to do with felonies. In other words, there is no statewide law that says a 4 inch blade is illegal to carry, unless you intend to do harm or use the knife in a crime, then it becomes a felony.

I am NOT a lawyer and am not offering legal advice. This is just my interpretation of the laws as I understand them.

Your best bet is to download the FREE app from "Knife Rights" for your Android or Apple phone, and study the laws. Then, if you intend to carry, I suggest that you join USCCA so that you have legal counsel in case you defend yourself with the knife in a legal manner.
Strangely enough, California is actually surprisingly permissible in terms of folding knife carry and fixed blades carried openly.

Edit: and of course Alaska, where I live, is basically the Wild West and even if there were laws people would just carry whatever they wanted lol.
Last edited by MFlovejp on Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N
knife__bro69

Post by knife__bro69 »

jpm2 wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:09 pm
knife__bro69 wrote:
Evil D wrote:
jpm2 wrote:

Problem solved.

The cbn side of a doublestuff2 should make short work out of lc200n. Go slow with medium pressure and don't gouge the tip into the stone.
Thank you!
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:17 am
For me it's a bit different:

I wish they'd at least go up as close as possible to the next 0.5" blade length limit as far as the handle offers space for that (f.e. Manix 2, Endela), or fill all of the available space in the handle if a limit gets exceeded anyway.

I know, that's not a practical option for everyone, but If a blade is just a tad to long for a local limit, one could always grind it down a bit. While others will have the benefit of a longer cutting edge...

But I admit: Talk is cheap in my case, since there are no blade length limits at all where I live.
Totally agree. I'm very OCD about blade to handle ratio.
It's mostly illegal to carry knives in public here, unless you have a justifiable reason. No blade lengths are specified in the law, so as long as the knife is suitable for your intended use, no one really cares if it's 1" or 10".
Unfortunately the law doesn't do much to identify valid reasons, so I tend do go small and don't attract attention in urban settings.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

knife__bro69 wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:11 pm
jpm2 wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:09 pm
knife__bro69 wrote:
Evil D wrote:

Thank you!
You're welcome.
This is mostly what I use coarse silicon carbide stones for, thinning edges, fixing tips, lowering spines, etc.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

MFlovejp wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:10 pm
Strangely enough, California is actually surprisingly permissible in terms of folding knife carry and fixed blades carried openly.

Edit: and of course Alaska, where I live, is basically the Wild West and even if there were laws people would just carry whatever they wanted lol.
Hahahahaha, if things keep going the way that they are, maybe I'll end up back in California, living in a van again, and training in escrima/arnis full time. Ohhhhhh noes.......the things that we do for satisfaction.

https://youtu.be/jadvt7CbH1o
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Rp5

Post by Rp5 »

yablanowitz wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:59 am
We used to have a 4" limit here in Kansas, so it was illegal for me to carry a Police Model. The one time an officer commented on mine, it was to say "Cool! That's just like mine." And then we talked knives for a couple of minures before we both went on our seperate ways.

Enforcement of laws tends to be somewhat flexible. Most places, if you aren't acting like a threat, it doesn't matter what you carry. If you are doing something to gain LEO attention, that's when blade length becomes an issue.
As far as I know (not a lawyer), Kansas became just a completely knife-friendly state as of 2013. There used to be a 4" limit, there used to be a switchblade/auto prohibition, and there is/used to be a law against convicted felons carrying weapons including bladed weapons. As of 2013, they repealed any limits and prohibitions statewide, and any city ordinances became null and void. The felon law is still on the books, but from what I've read, still has some loopholes. So no, haven't had any models I can't buy for fear of laws.

The "just over" vs "just under" topic is one I've seen a bit of discussion, and Shabazz always harps on it in his stuff. As others have said in this thread - the law can be whatever the law is, the reality is that it depends on the LEO you're dealing with. If someone is trying to jack you up, they'll measure whatever way they can to make it over the limit, and you can argue till you're blue in the face that it's not. You'll still get the negative consequences until you see a court date. So if you're really worried about the laws, carry something half an inch under the limit so there's no way to fudge it. On the other hand, if you never give cause to interact with the police, then you can probably carry whatever you want.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

You are correct that we no longer have a length limit and in fact have instituted "Constiutional Carry", i.e. concealed carry of a firearm without needing a permit, so it is no longer a question here. The incident I related took place before the turn of the century/millenium.
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

aicolainen wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:28 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:17 am
For me it's a bit different:

I wish they'd at least go up as close as possible to the next 0.5" blade length limit as far as the handle offers space for that (f.e. Manix 2, Endela), or fill all of the available space in the handle if a limit gets exceeded anyway.

I know, that's not a practical option for everyone, but If a blade is just a tad to long for a local limit, one could always grind it down a bit. While others will have the benefit of a longer cutting edge...

But I admit: Talk is cheap in my case, since there are no blade length limits at all where I live.
It's mostly illegal to carry knives in public here, unless you have a justifiable reason. No blade lengths are specified in the law, so as long as the knife is suitable for your intended use, no one really cares if it's 1" or 10".
Unfortunately the law doesn't do much to identify valid reasons, so I tend do go small and don't attract attention in urban settings.
European here as well, my situation is exactly as aicolainens. I want to avoid attention on urban environments. I usually have a Roadie or a DF wharncliffe as a second knife to use "in public".
/ David
Wolfy916

Post by Wolfy916 »

I take the Ron Swanson "I do what I want" approach.
OhBuoyancy

Post by OhBuoyancy »

soc_monki wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:43 am
Mississippi is knife friendly. I once saw a guy riding a bike with a machete on his hip. I could walk around with my kabar on my belt if I wanted to. I like that kind of freedom.

I regularly carry 4 inch folders. No one really bat's an eye.
I regularly ride my bike with a machete (CRKT ChanceInHell). It's intent that matters in that case. I do it when cleaning up trails.
When I was researching a knife to buy I contacted my local sheriff's department to ask about the laws. There's a 3" limit for pocket knives and I ended buying one that's just over that. I don't worry about it.
Lumpy

Post by Lumpy »

Wolfy916 wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:53 pm
I take the Ron Swanson "I do what I want" approach.

I respect that people want to be legally safe, but in general I just carry what I want to. Just be discreet and and don’t call attention to yourself and you’ll be fine.

Btw knifebro, siren is an awesome knife, definitely should try it out.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

It is always worthwhile to not attract the attention of LEO.

In general I am the type of person who wants to be sure, so I will meet the letter of the law. In Texas I don't have a problem. I will be visiting family in Colorado frequently so I typically carry a Tenacious or Manix 2 on those trips. I'll have a longer fixed blade in my camping gear but that's meeting the letter of the law too. The Spyderco Siren is listed at 3.60" so I would not carry it in Colorado. Sure most of the time it would be no problem but there is always that 1 in 1000 LEO that would want to make a big deal out of it.

In Texas we had a 5.5" limit for awhile. When I found that out I sold a few of my outdoor knives that were longer, such as my Cold Steel SRK. I had intended to buy a Spyderco Tatanka since it was the closest to right under the limit and I was going to occasionally carry it just because I could. Well the law changed and the limit went away, It doesn't change my carry, I typically carry a PM2 on the short end up to a Military on the long end.
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

aicolainen wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:28 pm

Sonorum wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:58 pm

European here as well, my situation is exactly as aicolainens. I want to avoid attention on urban environments. I usually have a Roadie or a DF wharncliffe as a second knife to use "in public".

Another (this time South) European here. Here we have a double restriction: Size and valid reason to carry it.

(1) Blades of 4.33" and above can be owned but must be kept at home (they "can be bought for collecting purposes only", the law says).

(2) Blades below 4.33" are legal to be bought and owned by anyone of legal age .... but it is forbidden to carry, display and use outside the home, the workplace, where appropriate, or the corresponding sports activities, any kind of short firearm (even having a valid licence to own and carry it) and knives, especially those with a pointed blade. It is up to prudent criteria of the LEO assess whether or not the bearer of the weapons has the need to carry them with him, depending on the occasion, moment or circumstance. If the LEO considers that the bearer has no need, the weapon will be seized (+ if it was a licensed firearm the license will be revoked) and the bearer will receive a fine of up EURO 300 (some 365$)

The act of carrying or using weapons [the definition of weapon includes any type of knife] by those who are in public establishments and places of assembly, recreation or entertainment, if that fact does not already qualify as a crime considering other circumstances, in general will be considered illegal and will be punished with the seizure of the weapon (+ if it was a licensed firearm the license will be revoked) and a fine of between EURO 300 and 450 (between 365$ and 550$).

Some knives are absolutely prohibited (autos, military knives (bayonets), etc.) and their possession constitutes a crime punishable by up to 3 years in prison.
Si vis pacem para bellum ;)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

knife__bro69 wrote:
Evil D wrote:
jpm2 wrote:
Evil D wrote:
Problem solved.

Definitely, especially with a more coarse grit. I like to sand down the entire spine after I finish so the sanded finish matches all the way up the blade.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

OhBuoyancy wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:16 pm

I regularly ride my bike with a machete (CRKT ChanceInHell). It's intent that matters in that case. I do it when cleaning up trails.
You made me laugh there. After reading the first half of the sentence, I was envisioning something like you'd see on Tosh.0. Then I got to the part about trail work. Thank you for that; with no one maintaining them, nature would soon reclaim our trails.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I agree with those who've said that blade length laws of any kind are infringements of our personal liberty and do nothing to prevent crime. That said, it's a **** of a lot easier for someone in a 3.5" jurisdiction to shorten a 3.75" blade on a knife they really want to carry by .25" to comply with their local laws than for someone in the same place to lengthen a 3.25" one.

I'm fairly lucky, in that there is no blade length limit where I live. However inside the city limits there's a 3" limit so I stick with smaller knives on the rare occasions that I go there. The irony is that those "smaller knives" often include an OTF automatic which is perfectly legal.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
OhBuoyancy

Post by OhBuoyancy »

RustyIron wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:42 am
OhBuoyancy wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:16 pm

You made me laugh there. After reading the first half of the sentence, I was envisioning something like you'd see on Tosh.0. Then I got to the part about trail work. Thank you for that; with no one maintaining them, nature would soon reclaim our trails.
ha! Happy to do it, let's me get some anger out, lol.

Speaking of legal limits, ballistic knives are outlawed here. I wasn't really sure what that was and when I found out it made me want one.