2020 Seconds Sale - SOLD OUT!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
attila

Re: 2020 Seconds Sale - SOLD OUT!

Post by attila »

Chppy wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:37 pm
**EDITED - TazKristi
Some grammar and punctuation would be appreciated too.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Rp5

Post by Rp5 »

It is nice to post on a forum where you don't have to forum warrior just to make a point. Even when there's a disagreement, pretty easy to click that "Return to General Discussion" button. Very nice in a community.
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

Thanks for the sale, Spyderco! I managed to get just the knife I was hoping for as a second (with a LOT of effort!), and enjoyed participating in something special and unique with fellow enthusiasts. Cheers!
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

attila wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:24 pm

Some grammar and punctuation would be appreciated too.
...Quite so... :rolleyes:
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
vivi

Post by vivi »

The Deacon wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:20 pm
koenigsegg wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:52 am
I'm glad others had positive experiences. I think it's a miss that forum members don't get first dibs or anything special

Have we ever? AFAIK, the only requirement for "first dibs" at prior sales was showing up at SFO in person, very early, and pitching a tent. Didn't matter whether you were a member here, a member on another forum where Spyderco had a presence, someone who lurked on one or more of the above but never joined any of them, or just a Golden area local who heard it thru the grapevine.
I think the idea has merit for online sales, but not for in person sales.
:unicorn
Chppy

Post by Chppy »

**EDITED - TazKristi
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Chppy wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:12 am
**EDITED - TazKristi
Thank you so much for personifying the reasons i was opposed to an online seconds sale, and for the ongoing demonstration of why I spend so little time here anymore.
Frozenspyder

Post by Frozenspyder »

This forum is still one of the most civil places on the internet. People that cause problems tend to not hang around long.
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

These drops were like throwing chicken to piranhas, they disappeared fast :D
With patience and a bit of luck I was able to grab a couple of bites of meat.
The online sale was an interesting experience, thank you Spyderco for the opportunity!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

nerdlock wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:10 pm
Chppy wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:37 pm
**EDITED - TazKristi

You must be new here.

Oh wait, scrolling at your post history, you're the guy who was crying out loud at the mods in all caps demanding when was the Factory Seconds sale date when it was posted all over the forums, in Instagram and Facebook of Spyderco. And here you are, saying that people here are b*****ng and crying when most of your posts are juvenile retorts of one sort or another.

This forum has decorum and rules. People here may disagree with one another sometimes, but we never resort to cursing and name calling and all other sort of juvenile behavior. This place isn't one of those Facebook knife groups that you may be used to where people are on their crassiest behavior most times. I suggest you read the rules first before posting another reply.
Perfect nerdlock! I couldn't have said it better myself. I continue to wonder why people think it's ok to act they do even under cover of a screen name. Some of the FB knife groups are like the wild west and a big reason I don't participate there much these days.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Spyderman91

Post by Spyderman91 »

Did anyone else receive a pending charge that was different from their invoice?

During the craziness I had a cart with 2 P'kals and a Ronin 2, but there was also another tab with only a Ronin 2.
My invoice only shows one Ronin 2 with free shipping, but the charge appears to be for the three knives on the other tab
(I got both orders to the credit card phase of the check out).
I'm really hoping I get a surprise in the box, but probably will have to follow up with customer service to verify.
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

The Deacon wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:20 pm
koenigsegg wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:52 am
I'm glad others had positive experiences. I think it's a miss that forum members don't get first dibs or anything special

Have we ever? AFAIK, the only requirement for "first dibs" at prior sales was showing up at SFO in person, very early, and pitching a tent. Didn't matter whether you were a member here, a member on another forum where Spyderco had a presence, someone who lurked on one or more of the above but never joined any of them, or just a Golden area local who heard it thru the grapevine.
Never saw a bot at the sale but I could be wrong. Was just disappointed I missed Thursday, Friday was a bust and Saturday was cancelled. I feel I'm within my rights to share my opinion here. Popular or not
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

koenigsegg wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:46 pm
Never saw a bot at the sale but I could be wrong. Was just disappointed I missed Thursday, Friday was a bust and Saturday was cancelled. I feel I'm within my rights to share my opinion here. Popular or not

You never saw a bot? That's like saying you've never seen a germ. Bots aren't visible to customers, but they are to the target (ie, Spyderco's IT team). I have no reason to doubt Kristi when she said they were overwhelmed with buying bots on sale day.
Rp5

Post by Rp5 »

I believe koenigsegg was referring to never seeing a bot at the live sale in previous years - in reference to not getting first dibs at prior sales. I don't believe the validity of the bot buying reports was ever called into question.
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

Bolster wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:12 am
koenigsegg wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:46 pm

You never saw a bot? That's like saying you've never seen a germ. Bots aren't visible to customers, but they are to the target (ie, Spyderco's IT team). I have no reason to doubt Kristi when she said they were overwhelmed with buying bots on sale day.
I was under the impression that they weren't even making purchases, just flooding the site. I could have misread Kristi's comment though.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

No, from what I read on another thread by a local who chatted with one of the crew, the bots were in there grabbing all of a given item and running to the checkout where they had to be swatted and the purchase account banned. It sounded like a real mess on the back end.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

yablanowitz wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:49 am
No, from what I read on another thread by a local who chatted with one of the crew, the bots were in there grabbing all of a given item and running to the checkout where they had to be swatted and the purchase account banned. It sounded like a real mess on the back end.

I want to clarify this. Unfortunately, that information wasn't accurate. Bots never made it to the cart, in fact, they didn't make it further than the first page. The way bots work is a mass hit, meaning multiple (as in hundreds or thousands) connections hitting the site from a single IP address simultaneously. Bots also maneuver through a site faster than any human being could - this was another piece we were actively tracking (through software - not manually).

We estimate that the site was hit with around 43,000 bot connections within two days. We use sophisticated software to monitor for bots and remove them as quickly as they hit. The challenge with bots (aside from the sheer volume of traffic) is that they can quickly change IP addresses and then hit again. Fortunately, our software did exactly what it is designed to do, but at that scale, it takes a huge amount of resources.

I am confident, as one of the people who monitored the site in real-time throughout the sale, that we stopped bots before they ever had a chance to add an item to the cart system.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

TazKristi wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:18 am
yablanowitz wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:49 am

I want to clarify this. Unfortunately, that information wasn't accurate. Bots never made it to the cart, in fact, they didn't make it further than the first page. The way bots work is a mass hit, meaning multiple (as in hundreds or thousands) connections hitting the site from a single IP address simultaneously. Bots also maneuver through a site faster than any human being could - this was another piece we were actively tracking (through software - not manually).

We estimate that the site was hit with around 43,000 bot connections within two days. We use sophisticated software to monitor for bots and remove them as quickly as they hit. The challenge with bots (aside from the sheer volume of traffic) is that they can quickly change IP addresses and then hit again. Fortunately, our software did exactly what it is designed to do, but at that scale, it takes a huge amount of resources.

I am confident, as one of the people who monitored the site in real-time throughout the sale, that we stopped bots before they ever had a chance to add an item to the cart system.

Kristi
Thank you Kristi and the whole team behind the scenes that made this all happen in 4 weeks or so. Most will never understand how difficult this is to do.
Hopefully, assuming there will be next time, everything learned on this sale will help to improve the experience for everyone involved, customer AND crew.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

One of the gripes I had was actually having to go to the product's page in order to add it to the cart. Looking back, maybe it's for the best since it meant a bunch of items couldn't all be added at the same time from the inventory page.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
SmokeJumper22

Post by SmokeJumper22 »

Does anyone have any idea on when items purchased during the sale will ship? I placed my order on Dec 4th just before it sold out.