2020 Seconds Sale - SOLD OUT!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
KnotTheory

Re: 2020 Seconds Sale - SOLD OUT!

Post by KnotTheory »

As someone who would and will in all likelihood never actually get to go to this sale if it were held the traditional way (although I've been aware of it for a long time), I do appreciate this event and it was a good idea and a responsible thing to do in light of the current... mess. I am grateful I was able to get a couple of things I coveted. I really hope something like this can happen again but I understand if it does not.

I do feel bad for the people who got no chances at all due to the tech issues though. Perhaps if I should get my wish and this happens again, some creative web wizard can think of some low-effort, no money out of pocket ways to improve it. The ideas of rolling things out in waves and limiting quantities and blocking bots were wonderful so there's definitely a system to build on.
⟨ x , y ∣ x 2 = y 3
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

I live across the globe, and I didn't even try going onto the website during peak hours so as not to add to the traffic.

The only thing I really wanted was a Drunken, but then I realized that the reason I like it is because of the intricate details and excellent fit and finish. Hence I figured that I probably wouldn't be that happy getting a factory second of this model. Anyway, thanks to Spyderco for all the work they put into this event --birthing pains are never easy.
Frozenspyder

Post by Frozenspyder »

It was frustrating at times, but I'm really glad they were able to put this together. Overall, I thought it went well.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Thanks Kristi and team for making this happen! I'd love to see these sales alternate between in-person and online. I'm sure an adequate solution to bots, order limits, how/when to release inventory, etc can be sorted out before the next sale. I was able to get one order today and one yesterday. I am happy since it will be years before I'd ever be able to justify a trip out there for a sale.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

Thanks for making this work, despite the chaos. I was able to get two knives I wanted, which is two more than I would have got if it had been cancelled. I'm not complaining at all!
Oloung1

Post by Oloung1 »

OppositeJay wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:19 pm
I missed out on 2 or 3 orders right at the CC entry step, but that's how it goes sometimes.
This happened to me a few times and I ended up buying more coffee mugs than I originally intended :D
Much appreciated to the Spyderco crew for offering this.
Napsterninja

Post by Napsterninja »

I'm very new to knives and know very little about Spyderco knives. Mostly through youtube videos. I wanted to save money and hope to get to own a variety of Spyderco knives.

I would like to thank Spyderco and all the employees for making this happen. I most likely will never be able to attend in person for a Seconds Sale. This was my first and hopefully not the last. I kept refreshing and was able to purchase 5 knives. I didn't really know what I was adding to my cart and just went with the knives that were mentioned the most on youtube videos. Buy first think later. After the sale, I did some research and got very lucky!

Summary of the two days. My opinion is it wasn't too bad. It's like fishing, keep trying. On the first day, pages timing out, very slow loading, and knives becoming unavailable fast. Just kept refreshing and about a total of 45mins of trying paid off. Please note this was on my mobile phone only and during my work breaks. Out in the field so not the fastest connection at all. Second day, got my work break too late and again by mobile phone. Notice the page had new knives already sold out. Got two knives at check out, one of the two unavailable at payment. I passed.

I'm still very happy with how my first Seconds Sale experience is. If this was to happen again in the future, I will not hesitate to participate again. Thank you again Spyderco team!
archangel

Post by archangel »

Has anyone counted the number of models that were dropped? From all the stories about the real thing I thought there'd be many many more than I've actually seen.

Well I scored zero. I checked in maybe 15 times, and the only model that wasn't already sold out and had my finger itch was the Parata - but I could resist in the end. A SpyOpera would have been another itcher, but it was already s.o. when I spotted it. Was there a listing of the SpydieChef? If so, at which price?

Hope someone answers...

Thanks to the Spyderco Gang for the opportunity!
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

archangel wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:56 pm
Has anyone counted the number of models that were dropped? From all the stories about the real thing I thought there'd be many many more than I've actually seen.

Well I scored zero. I checked in maybe 15 times, and the only model that wasn't already sold out and had my finger itch was the Parata - but I could resist in the end. A SpyOpera would have been another itcher, but it was already s.o. when I spotted it. Was there a listing of the SpydieChef? If so, at which price?

Hope someone answers...

Thanks to the Spyderco Gang for the opportunity!
Spydiechef was listed at $126
-Nick :bug-red
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

I am happy that this opportunity was made available by the Crew. I do wonder how many of these knives were sold to individuals that had the sole intention of selling them on the secondary market. Not that it affects me in any way, just curious. I looked multiple times throughout the 2 days and each time I was ready to pull the trigger on something, it sold out. Nothing for me this time, but happy for anyone who did get something they were after. Congrats all
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I expected it to be much harder actually. A small site being hammered far more than ever before, with flippers using automation to snag many items. I couldn't get most of the rarer stuff, but I got lots of great users, a couple of interesting less conspicuous models, and I spent maybe 1/3-1/2 of what I would have to get them typically. Since I use all my knives, getting a bunch of users is going make the holidays merry. Also, I may have a couple of options to give to people who should have a good knife but may not be as committed as to take care of a nice $100+ dollar knife (I think the value line models I got were $22-26 or so).

I have seen many sales like this where a smallish site does a hugely popular sale, and most of them were worse than this - carts losing inventory, nothing buyable at all by regular people (check out discussions about PS5s and the new GeForce video cards as a recent example), and things being so flaky that you'd love your progress (as long as I kept reloading and didn't expect everything to stay in inventory, I could move forward, maybe with a few refreshes). This shows that there is actually a pretty decent setup, and should show, if other bigtime sales happen in the future, where capacity could use an upgrade. I can only assume a huge amount of people were able to get something, as i could buy items for almost the whole sale after the first 40-45 minutes and I wasn't doing anything special (I could have but wanted to just try by my lonesome and see if a browser or two would work, and they did).
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

archangel wrote:
From all the stories about the real thing I thought there'd be many many more than I've actually seen.
They kept it fairly simple. No exclusives and I think they said they only included models with a fairly large amount of seconds available. This wasn't supposed to mimic the in-person sale.
austrian_spyder_fan

Post by austrian_spyder_fan »

Congrats to Spyderco Team, i think it was a **** ride.
I hope everyone is fine and healthy an slept some hours between.

Unfortunatly we spydernuts from overseas dind't really have a chance to buy something at every time.

Ric and I tried to buy something for us respectively also for each other.
As soon as the Sale started the shop was overloaded.
If an Item had found to cart, there was a
collapse at check out or product was sold out before.
We tried for hours thursday and friday .....

I really wanted to have something from legendary Seconds Sale for me, but doesn't matter.

The positive side is my wallet is not so empty.
I bought a turntable for myself for Christmas and ordered my wife a costum Spyderco.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

I had no luck on mobile but when I switched to my laptop I got what I wanted. I was there right when it started had got all the way to checkout in 15min but crashed. It never worked on mobile for over an hour. I was also able to look at a few drops through the sale while in stock. I did have problems but not impossible.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

I didn't participate, but it sounded like a monumental effort (that isn't even over, because now Spyderco has to ship them), that the company should be proud of. Glitches were bound to happen, but Spyderco made the event possible in a format that I initially thought was a pipe dream. All involved deserve much credit.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

Thinking it over, I wonder if there were fewer knives available because they held back the ones with glaring physical defects. Normally folks would be able to inspect the seconds before they buy, but with that not being the case this year, perhaps Spyderco kept the “worst” ones for the next in person sale.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
KnifeFella

Post by KnifeFella »

I tried on Thursday using my IPad- no luck at all. I read someone’s post (very helpful) about about keeping the page with inventory open while logged in and selecting by right clocking (opening a transaction in a new tab) and that plus using my desktop finally enabled the to get 2 yesterday. I also created my first twitter account so I can make sure I react in time when notification shows up. Also, I was buying one knife at the time.
attila

Post by attila »

Firstly, thank you Spyderco for hosting the sale!

That being said, this was a more disappointing experience than any of the super-quick sprint/exclusive sellouts that I was really wanting. I checked the seconds sale site as many times throughout Thursday and Friday as I could, but still had no chance at anything worthwhile. I would have gladly snagged some Maxamet, Military, Shaman, or a few others.

I just wish that this sale had been private among the forum and maybe dedicated Spyderco Facebook members for a full day before being open to all the internet. We are, after all, the most faithful fans.

I am just relieved that some members here did snag some good stuff, despite my inability to.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
mar-vir

Post by mar-vir »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:47 am
archangel wrote:
From all the stories about the real thing I thought there'd be many many more than I've actually seen.
They kept it fairly simple. No exclusives and I think they said they only included models with a fairly large amount of seconds available. This wasn't supposed to mimic the in-person sale.
Well that's exactly part of the problem. Huge amount of people literally in the same time and on the other hand (I am guessing) multiple times less products available than usually and less than expected - no wander lots of peope stayed empty handed...
Also for me it was big dissapointement that sale ended early. I tried Thursday, didn't succeed, was busy next day, but I was counting on trying again on Saturday... From Spyderco's video presentation I understood items would be added periodicaly... it ended up finishing considerably before it was announced...
It was first time so it's all alright.
Proposition:
Maybe one of possibilities would be to limit the total number of purchased items to 3 or 5 and conduct 1 purchase... during first two days, so everybody gets fair chance to buy few knives! After two days of sale, this limits could be lifted up, so Spyderco could finish selling off intended stock.

Anyway I know Spyderco will make lots of changes and updates, for Seconds Sale 2021...
Nevertheless I encourage Spyderco that these changes end up resulting in giving faire chances for majority people enjoying their knives...
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Total bust for me. Pretty bummed. Kind of wish I could get all that wasted time back. Oh well. Spent my money on a Bark River and some more gifts for Christmas instead.

I am glad that Spyderco moved some inventory and glad that some folks got through to checkout. I have more knives than any sane person needs anyway. :D Hopefully the sale will be in person again next year and I will be able to make it. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?