Poll: How do you carry your Spyderco Dragonfly?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

How do you carry your Spyderco Dragonfly?

Clipped to a pocket (specify: front/back)
47%
Loose in a pocket (specify: front/back, with/without lanyard)
37%
Attached to keys
3%
Pocket pouch/organizer.
No votes
Belt sheath/organizer.
No votes
Clipped inside waistband
5%
Other (specify)
8%

Total votes: 62

Kale

Poll: How do you carry your Spyderco Dragonfly?

Post by Kale »

I know this is a popular knife, partly because it's so small. But for that same reason, I would worry about losing it. Putting it on my keychain would fix that problem, but it's a bit large for that purpose (I'm deciding between the Dragonfly and a Ladybug). The Dragonfly is an "in-between" size, so it's not obvious to me which carry methods work best.

I thought it would be helpful to see how other people carry it. The Dragonfly is a very cool looking design (the closed knife reminds me of a fox curled-up, with it's nose tucked into its tail), so I don't want to automatically exclude it without considering my options.

Looking forward to your poll results and feedback!
ladybug93

Re: Poll: How do you carry your Spyderco Dragonfly?

Post by ladybug93 »

when i carried my df2 salt, it was always clipped to my pocket, but only to work and only because of blade length restrictions. it's a great knife, but i find it too small to reliably stay clipped in place. i did have it pull out and fall to the ground multiple times while removing other things from my pocket.
if you're set on a dragonfly, it will probably be fine, but check it frequently. if you wear jeans, the watch/coin/5th pocket is a great place to secure a df2. otherwise, i would suggest putting it in your pocket (not clipped) or in a edc bag.
since that is my recommendation, i'd probably suggest a ladybug salt hawkbill with serrations for the bottom of your pocket instead. the blade isn't that much smaller, even though the knife itself is. and, if you really want a keychain knife also, a sak rambler is a much more useful (and cheaper) knife for that application.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I didn't make a selection in the poll because I have one without the clip that I drop in my pocket and a few others with the clip that I clip to my pocket. I'm sure I carried IWB a few times too when wearing work out shorts or sweat pants
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
rashman

Post by rashman »

dragonfly zdp-189 “pocket lightsaber,” left front pocket - no clip w/ snake knot lanyard - carried for about 5 years as a secondary / personal / food blade. oh, btw it never ran away or got lost.
then i found the chaparral! so my dragonfly now lives in my daily backpack.
my primary blade gets used for work and gets all sorts of gunk on it & ya don’t want to eat if ya cut ur sandwich @ lunch - lol
current fav’s: K390 SS Stretch, PM2 CruWear Mircata, P.I.T.S., Subway Bowie
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Dragonfly goes in the bottom a a front pocket when I'm wearing light shorts. I consider it a out the lower size limit for usability. It fits the bill when a larger knife would be cumbersome. It's a very cool design, though. I love the way it's simple and fits together so elegantly.

I also have a Ladybug that gets carried only when I'm wearing minimalist clothing, like on an epic ride. It's rather small for most jobs, but is better than nothing. If you're trying to decide, I think the Dragonfly is the more useful.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Clipped. Perfect for the "watch" pocket on jeans.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

When I did carry one a lot I carried it like any other folder in my right front pocket. Now I carry one in my EDC bag.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
rangefinder

Post by rangefinder »

Loose in a pocket, with no clip and a short piece of cord (not really a "lanyard"; just a loop with a knot at the end) to help extend the handle a bit and make it easier to fish out of the pocket.

But the Dragonfly is never my only knife. I carry a SE Dragonfly to go with a larger PE knife clipped in a pocket. (Usually, but not always, a PM2.)
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

When I carry it (it was replaced by the Rhino, then by a GEC traditional) it is loose in a cargo pocket. It always felt like I was going to lose it when it was clipped to a pocket.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
RocketJ

Post by RocketJ »

One more for clipped into jean’s watch pockets. I thought I’d lost my fairly new K-390 until I pulled some clean pants from the closet before coming to work tonight. There it was, still clipped in the watchpocket after a trip through the washer and dryer.
John
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Since we could only choose one option, I picked loose in the pocket since I often carry a Dragonfly around the house in sweatpants. But I also carry my hawkbill dragonfly whenever I go for a walk/jog/bike ride in the city, usually in the pocket of my running belt or camelback.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

My Bug is attached to my keys. I never thought of doing that with my Dragonfly.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
AHarbuck

Post by AHarbuck »

Clip removed these days. I find it’s small size makes the pocket clip unnecessary. This discovery bumped the dragonfly up to one of my most carried and favorite designs.

Either loose in front pocket or loose in 5th pocket as a secondary. Former with shorts in the summer, latter with long pants.

My only exception to the clip removed is my SE salt which I will sometimes carry in the waistband while running or clip to a life vest when kayaking.

Awesome model.
AHarbuck

Post by AHarbuck »

RocketJ wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:06 pm
One more for clipped into jean’s watch pockets. I thought I’d lost my fairly new K-390 until I pulled some clean pants from the closet before coming to work tonight. There it was, still clipped in the watchpocket after a trip through the washer and dryer.
Yikes! Any rust?
Blnd

Post by Blnd »

It’s been the Knife I’ve carried 95% of the time... for a decade now.

Watch/5th pocket unless my pants don’t have one in which case it’s clipped right front (keys pocket).

It’s the perfect watch/5th pocket knife And it’s my primary. I don’t carry a second knife. Still waiting for the real edc job it can’t handle.
Last edited by Blnd on Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
vivi

Post by vivi »

The couple of weeks I tried one out I carried it loose in my front left pocket with a Millie clipped to my right pocket.
:unicorn
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

They Dfly to me is my ultralight weight carry. So I clip it to my waist band on my right hip of my board shorts/mesh shorts.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Tgmr05

Post by Tgmr05 »

Loose in front pocket, no clip, no lanyard
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I like to carry the Dragonfly clipless with a small paracord fob in my coin pocket but will often just drop it into whatever pocket is most convenient at the time. Without a coin pocket, I still prefer no clip so definitely just loose in pocket.

So, the butler did it loose in the pocket with a paracord fob. :cool:
-Nick :bug-red
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Clipped front pocket, almost always. Occasionally loose in front pocket, when wearing dress pants, still with clip on, never with a lanyard.