Poll for alternating annual seconds sales between online and in-person

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Should Spyderco alternate each year between in-person and online second sales?

Yes, alternate each year between online and in-person annual second sales
32%
No, host all future annual second sales in person only
38%
No, host all future annual second sales online only
25%
No, cancel all future annual seconds sales and destroy the seconds to avoid diluting the market
5%

Total votes: 84

steelcity16

Poll for alternating annual seconds sales between online and in-person

Post by steelcity16 »

I want to congratulate the Spyderco team for making the first ever online seconds sale a success! While there are always growing pains and lessons to be learned, I was very impressed with how they put this all together in such an extremely short time. For myself and many others, this is the only way we can participate in a seconds sale. Yesterday was a ton of fun, and I can't wait to see what I can hopefully score today and tomorrow!

I would like to propose that they move to alternating the seconds sales between in-person and online each year to hit all corners of their customer base. Those that live for flying out for the in-person sales can still get their fill every other year, and those of us who can't have the opportunity every other year as well.

What do the rest of you think?
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Evil D

Re: Poll for alternating annual seconds sales between online and in-person

Post by Evil D »

Since there's little chance for me to make a 2k mile trip for this, I'm loving the online version. Having both would be pretty cool for everyone, otherwise I'm all for having it online only. At least then everyone has a chance.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I would like an online option, but maybe more spread out and more random drops.

Im not voting, I want to see how this one goes first.

Since I will probably never make the trip in person, the online option is better for me. However yesterday was fairly hectic.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

VooDooChild wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:00 am
I would like an online option, but maybe more spread out and more random drops.

Im not voting, I want to see how this one goes first.

Since I will probably never make the trip in person, the online option is better for me. However yesterday was fairly hectic.

Yeah, I mean yesterday wasn't ideal, but they threw this together in record time so it was to be expected. DLT has done how many drops now and they still have issues. I am operating under the assumption that a 2022 Online Seconds Sale will have all of the kinks worked out to avoid bots and server crashes and will run smooth as silk.

I like the format of dropping a chunk at the open with maybe mostly lesser desirable models, and then dropping the more desirable ones throughout the day on the website randomly WITHOUT announcing them on social media.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I voted for in person only. Personally, I hope this is the only online sale. :)

One thing that stands out to me, is that most if not all of the best examples of each model had to be hand selected by Spyderco for this online sale. Which obviously takes away those examples for the next in person sale, leaving the inventory at that next in person sale even harder to sort through. With how far people travel for the event, I would rather see that "better" inventory saved for those attending in person.

I really do understand how exciting it is get a shot at deals like this (I find it so exciting that I make that 2k mile trip from Boston annually) but for me, this online sale really makes the in person sale feel much less special.

Also, no one has received their seconds yet. It remains to be seen what the reactions from the general public will be. This could still turn into a horror show for Spyderco with people trying to get an exception for their seconds.
-Nick :bug-red
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Yeah, it is a little early to call it a success.

I wasn’t able to get the page to load until after everything was sold out so for me it was the opposite of successful.

We also have to wait and see how people’s reactions are to their products when they arrive.

I will wait to vote but my instinct says to vote for in person sales only.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
jacktwitch

Post by jacktwitch »

Here is a good read on what retailers go up against online
https://www.pcmag.com/news/inside-the-p ... awking-hot

I think the best bet would be to require preregistration or keep the sale behind the wall of the forum.

We are going to see a lot of spydies resold on ebay and other retailers as "brand new in box"
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

I don't think they should do it online ever again. The abuse I've seen posted on various forums, facebook, and twitter has been ridiculous. I also imagine there's going to be second wave when tons of first-time customers who thought spyderco was amazon are going to try to return a bunch of knives they didn't like.

Hopefully I'm wrong and the derogatory and insulting customers were small minority, but it sure doesn't seem like it.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I'd love the idea of alternating between online and in-person. If Spyderco thinks it's workable.

There are a lot of us who can't indulge our knife hobbies to the extent of making a 1,000+ mile trip to Colorado every year. Why not give everyone a chance to participate?
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

spoonrobot wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:35 am
I don't think they should do it online ever again. The abuse I've seen posted on various forums, facebook, and twitter has been ridiculous. I also imagine there's going to be second wave when tons of first-time customers who thought spyderco was amazon are going to try to return a bunch of knives they didn't like.

Hopefully I'm wrong and the derogatory and insulting customers were small minority, but it sure doesn't seem like it.
Even though I'm thankful to have picked up a knife in Maxamet for a great price yesterday, I also voted to keep it as in person sales only...because of the reason you stated. Not trying to be a fan boy or a suck hole, but Spyderco doesn't deserve that kind of backlash. So much entitlement these days, it's disgusting. They easily could have just done away with it all together this year and saved their stock for a huge sale next year.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Haven't voted. I think the decision is entirely the seller's.

I do think that if there is enough complaining, it will never happen again.

While there have only been a few examples of truly infantile behavior (on this forum), there's been some grousing. Spyderco may file this experiment under "No good deed goes unpunished."
Last edited by Bolster on Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Missing option of: Have online sale of seconds & hold regular yearly in-person sale. Based on the numbers I have read, there should be enough seconds to do both.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:57 am
spoonrobot wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:35 am

Even though I'm thankful to have picked up a knife in Maxamet for a great price yesterday, I also voted to keep it as in person sales only...because of the reason you stated. Not trying to be a fan boy or a suck hole, but Spyderco doesn't deserve that kind of backlash. So much entitlement these days, it's disgusting. They easily could have just done away with it all together this year and saved their stock for a huge sale next year.
^ Yep! As much as I appreciate what Spyderco has done and I'm glad I was able to get a SpyOpera I think doing the sale in person is how it should be. Before the sale was announced there was discussion about the possibility of an online sale. I was worried then about people being upset when something went wrong. Last night I looked at Instagram & the Facebook groups and it was awful. I just clicked out without commenting. I can't believe how people act
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

Since online is the only chance I have to participate, that’s my vote
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Voted Alternating.

I get it, people are afraid that all the complaints and backlashes will get back to Spyderco. But they are a business first and foremost, and have one of the most loyal fanbases in the likes of us. They still make some of the best quality production knives in the market and their reputation on that is stellar.

Complaints like that no matter how severe, will always be a part of any business. Look at DLT, REC, and other online knife dealers. They have been doing this for years and they still encounter issues like this, if not it only got worse as the years went by. But that does not stop them from dropping online exclusives year in and year out, that is part of the risks of doing business that something might and will go wrong during your sales phase. If Spyderco listened to complaints about their products through the years and stopped making them, would they get to where they are right now? Think on that.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
bearfacedkiller

Day two and I still cannot get pages to load on an iPhone. I am at work so my phone is my only option. A strong NO from me.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

This three day long impulse buying game we have to play online is annoying, in my opinion. At least in person we get more than a stressful 15 minute shopping window.

Also, I don't like that the online sale gets inventory priority over the in person sale.
-Nick :bug-red
SG89

Post by SG89 »

ZMW wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:28 am
Since online is the only chance I have to participate, that’s my vote
Me too
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
bearfacedkiller

Mushroom wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:08 am
This three day long impulse buying game we have to play online is annoying, in my opinion. At least in person we get more than a stressful 15 minute shopping window.

Also, I don't like that the online sale gets inventory priority over the in person sale.
Right? I might have to sleep on a sidewalk overnight but at least I know that I will be able to buy something.
-Darby
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I understand that the small group of a few hundred that are willing to make the expensive journey to Golden for the Seconds Sale want to keep this as an exclusive sale, but that's hardly equitable. But, either way, it really is in no way critical to me. There is nothing in this sale that I need, so if I miss out, I miss out.

Edited to add missing "ing".
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001