Bought 3 factory 2nd knives after an hour of refreshing

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SG89

Re: Bought 3 factory 2nd knives after an hour of refreshing

Post by SG89 »

Something that just occurred to me: I've been around this forum 5 years and after each Seconds sale there are people that post pics of their haul...I also see ebay flooded with seconds after the sale as well. However I rarely see pictures of people actually carrying or using their factory second throughout the year or see much mention in text form of seconds being carried/used/displayed. I can only recall a handful of members here posting about them. If people used to spend thousands at the in person sale you would expect to see more mention of them... I'm not firing shots I'm just genuinely curious. Do people get home and realize that the knife is more flawed than originally thought and so they won't use them due to safety issues? I purchased my first second yesterday and I am hoping the lockup is fine.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:45 am
Something that just occurred to me: I've been around this forum 5 years and after each Seconds sale there are people that post pics of their haul...I also see ebay flooded with seconds after the sale as well. However I rarely see pictures of people actually carrying or using their factory second throughout the year or see much mention in text form of seconds being carried/used/displayed. I can only recall a handful of members here posting about them. If people used to spend thousands at the in person sale you would expect to see more mention of them... I'm not firing shots I'm just genuinely curious. Do people get home and realize that the knife is more flawed than originally thought and so they won't use them due to safety issues? I purchased my first second yesterday and I am hoping the lockup is fine.
Lockup and everything will be fine, we'll get our Maxamet PM2's...and they won't have an edge bevel, we'll have to grind our own :p

But really, you are absolutely right. I never see anything about anybody carrying a second, or even posting pics. That is interesting and a bit odd to me.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
SG89

Post by SG89 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:28 am
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Lockup and everything will be fine, we'll get our Maxamet PM2's...and they won't have an edge bevel, we'll have to grind our own :p

But really, you are absolutely right. I never see anything about anybody carrying a second, or even posting pics. That is interesting and a bit odd to me.
Any excuse to use my KME I'm on board :D
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Rp5

Post by Rp5 »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
I joined a few months ago, and one of the first posts I read was a forum user thanking the SFO staff for helping him replace a missing screw. He explained at the time that it was a 2nd, and was willing to pay for the screw, but they said it was no issue. The factory 2nd nature of the knife was relevant to the story, but I'm sure there are dozens of stories in which the poster just doesn't mention they were using a factory second.

As far as pictures go... from what I've seen: Factory Second + Use = Normal Knife
I know there's a small marking to note the 2nd, but probably easily missed.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

I've posted photos of some of my 2nds but haven't identified them as such. Usually there is no clue that the pictured Spydie is a 2nd. I'll gather up my current 2nds and include them in a photo of the news ones.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
The camo Military I carried five years was originally a second. I swapped the blade into a non second handle. Never noticed anything wrong with the knife.
:unicorn