Cutlery Shoppe and Knifeworks no longer shipping Spydercos overseas?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Cutlery Shoppe and Knifeworks no longer shipping Spydercos overseas?

Post by Doc Dan »

I tried to buy a new Spyderco knife from knifeworks.com and then from cutleryshoppe.com and both say they cannot ship overseas. What gives?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
TenGrainBread

Re: Cutlery Shoppe and Knifeworks no longer shipping Spydercos overseas?

Post by TenGrainBread »

Some retailers have temporarily halted overseas shipping due to the pandemic. Too many delays and lost packages. That might be it.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:50 am
I tried to buy a new Spyderco knife from knifeworks.com and then from cutleryshoppe.com and both say they cannot ship overseas. What gives?

Where you at, @doc?

I use a freight/cargo forwarding service to get my knives to where I'm at. Maybe you could find a company that could do that to your location.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

I recently bought an LC200N Pac Salt from KW and there were no issues shipping to Australia.
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

The notification below is on the front page of Knifeworks' website. I don't know about CutleryShoppe, but one could inquire from them through their contact page.
Attachments
intl shipping suspend covid 2020.jpg
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Yeah, I kind of thought that might be the case. Cutlery Shoppe does not have such a statement, I do not think. I'll email Jeff.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

If you need help re-shipping, I'm sure there are forum members who can receive a package and send it on to you wherever you want.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

nerdlock wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:01 am
Doc Dan wrote:

Where you at, @doc?

I use a freight/cargo forwarding service to get my knives to where I'm at. Maybe you could find a company that could do that to your location.

Which one do you use? I did this via "myus" several times, but heard that lately they refuse to send knives anymore...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

For what it’s worth, I just ordered some knives from knife center and had them shipped directly to Norway.
I did spend a few bucks extra to have it shipped with FedEx as USPS has been terribly slow lately. I ordered just before the weekend and the package arrived on Tuesday evening. Pretty amazing.

I don’t use forwarding a lot, but I’ve only had good experience with USgoBuy. They consolidate and repackage up to 10 packages (IIRC) at no additional cost, which can save you a lot of money when ordering several items from different sources.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:31 am
nerdlock wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:01 am
Doc Dan wrote:

Where you at, @doc?

Which one do you use? I did this via "myus" several times, but heard that lately they refuse to send knives anymore...

They are local freight forwarding companies that specifically caters on shipping items from the US to our country...there are several that have that service here but only two that can reliably ship knives to where we are.

That's too bad about MyUS, I've heard some positive things about their service and I believe that they have a shipping service to our country too.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I heard from Jeff at Cutlery Shoppe. He said they have had so much trouble because of all this COVID stuff that knives going overseas have taken months to arrive if at all. That would cost him money because angry customers will demand a refund thinking the knives would never show and then after the refund, they show up months later. I had this happen with some books I ordered from Book Depository. They shipped and I never got them. After waiting four months they gave me a refund. The fifth month the books came. I contacted them to repay them but I am sure many don't.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:20 am
I heard from Jeff at Cutlery Shoppe. He said they have had so much trouble because of all this COVID stuff that knives going overseas have taken months to arrive if at all. That would cost him money because angry customers will demand a refund thinking the knives would never show and then after the refund, they show up months later. I had this happen with some books I ordered from Book Depository. They shipped and I never got them. After waiting four months they gave me a refund. The fifth month the books came. I contacted them to repay them but I am sure many don't.
Integrity is doing what is right even when no one is watching - Sal Glesser

(If I'm remembering the quote right)
/ David
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:20 am
It is true, some of my USPS packages from the US have taken months to get here, and often with no tracking updates for most of that time.
Some shipments I've even considered to be lost, but they have all arrived eventually.
The idea of blaming the sender for a lost parcel would never have occurred to me. I just can't believe that people would do that.
Now, as I understand this problem isn't just affecting international shipping. According to Brian Nadeau in the latest Knife nuts podcast, he has a big problem with people asking for refund of delivered knives as COVID precautions somehow allow the mail delivery person check off the package as signed for without it actually being signed for.
Ric

Post by Ric »

My 2tone Para3 von cuttleryshoppe took nearly 8 months to be delivered. After it left the US I did not get any tracking. Jeff told that a knife to russia took 1 year.
That's a pain for the seller and customer.

Therefore I understand that move.
Thunderpants

Post by Thunderpants »

My 3 orange Victorinox Farmers from Cutlery shoppe disappeared in the post and never ever showed up. (That was ca 5 years ago!) Since that experience (and a couple of other misadventures) I really can't be bothered with shipping from the US.
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

It doesn't help when USPS sends the parcel to me in Australia from New Jersey through Hong Kong. It took almost 3 months to get to me. If it comes direct (this I can live with) it can arrive here in 10 days and then we have internal delays of about 1-3 weeks.