A few questions about the Opus.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TheGiant80
Member
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:12 pm

A few questions about the Opus.

Postby TheGiant80 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:22 pm

Although it’s discontinued, I recently came across the Opus and liked what I saw. It’s essentially a super-charged Endura....with more curvy ergos. I did some googling and haven’t come across many actual reviews. I was wondering if any of you fine folks have experience with this pattern, and I’d love to hear your thoughts on it before I pull the trigger.

Also I see it’s running on Teflon washers. Would swapping to phosphor bronze be viable with the Opus?

Any info would be appreciated!

User avatar
VooDooChild
Member
Posts: 1494
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:29 am

Re: A few questions about the Opus.

Postby VooDooChild » Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:19 am

If you can get a good price on one I think it will be fine. I got one because I got a ulize and was hoping I would like it as much as that knife. Personally the opus isnt for me but that doesnt mean its a bad knife. Just some things to note.

1. Its big. It is sort of that designers take on a military and it is nearly as big.

2. The blade shape is amazing. Its just really good and it works.

3. The ergos are good but they take some getting used to. On the back of my hand, so my middle finger, ring finger, and pinky, I absolutely love how the knife feels. In the non-choil grip I wish the finger groove for my fore-finger was a little bigger or had a little more contouring. I can live with it, but I dont love the way it feels on that finger in the non-choil grip.

4. The reverse thumb ramp takes some getting used to as well. Basically if you are used to pushing your thumb forward on a thumb ramp it will not feel right. Just push your thumb down into the thumb cutout and then the whole knife makes sense. So its not really like other thumb ramps but it works, especially if you relax your grip.

5. Maybe the weirdest thing is disengaging the lockbar. There is a very small cutout to disengage the lockbar with your thumb. With that said it works well once you get used to it. There is almost a little point on the lockbar, so instead of using the side of your thumb to push the lockbar over, what worked for me was to put the pad of my thumb on that "point" and disengage the lockbar like that. It seems odd at first but actually works pretty well once you are used to it. I do not know if it will work well with gloves or not but I almost never wear gloves.

Thats really all I can think of. At its original map price I think there are better options. But if you can get one for cheap it should be ok.
sal wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 8:14 pm
... "The edge is a ghost"...

User avatar
Menipo
Member
Posts: 311
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:41 pm
Location: Madrid, Spain, Europe

Re: A few questions about the Opus.

Postby Menipo » Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:29 am

I had the Opus on my radar screen for a long time (I was looking for a "Native Chief with a liner lock") but never pulled the trigger. I read some negative comments and, in addition, it was hardly discounted by almost every Internet dealer. That made me suspicious and think that the Opus would not have a long life and would be discontinued soon .... In fact, it was in production only for 2 years.
Si vis pacem para bellum ;)

TheGiant80
Member
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:12 pm

Re: A few questions about the Opus.

Postby TheGiant80 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:56 am

VooDooChild wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:19 am
If you can get a good price on one I think it will be fine. I got one because I got a ulize and was hoping I would like it as much as that knife. Personally the opus isnt for me but that doesnt mean its a bad knife. Just some things to note.

1. Its big. It is sort of that designers take on a military and it is nearly as big.

2. The blade shape is amazing. Its just really good and it works.

3. The ergos are good but they take some getting used to. On the back of my hand, so my middle finger, ring finger, and pinky, I absolutely love how the knife feels. In the non-choil grip I wish the finger groove for my fore-finger was a little bigger or had a little more contouring. I can live with it, but I dont love the way it feels on that finger in the non-choil grip.

4. The reverse thumb ramp takes some getting used to as well. Basically if you are used to pushing your thumb forward on a thumb ramp it will not feel right. Just push your thumb down into the thumb cutout and then the whole knife makes sense. So its not really like other thumb ramps but it works, especially if you relax your grip.

5. Maybe the weirdest thing is disengaging the lockbar. There is a very small cutout to disengage the lockbar with your thumb. With that said it works well once you get used to it. There is almost a little point on the lockbar, so instead of using the side of your thumb to push the lockbar over, what worked for me was to put the pad of my thumb on that "point" and disengage the lockbar like that. It seems odd at first but actually works pretty well once you are used to it. I do not know if it will work well with gloves or not but I almost never wear gloves.

Thats really all I can think of. At its original map price I think there are better options. But if you can get one for cheap it should be ok.
Thanks for the reply! I can get a new Opus for $144 USD. Would you say that's a good deal all things considered? The only thing that's preventing me from pulling the trigger currently is the teflon washer situation..

TheGiant80
Member
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:12 pm

Re: A few questions about the Opus.

Postby TheGiant80 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:57 am

Menipo wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:29 am
I had the Opus on my radar screen for a long time (I was looking for a "Native Chief with a liner lock") but never pulled the trigger. I read some negative comments and, in addition, it was hardly discounted by almost every Internet dealer. That made me suspicious and think that the Opus would not have a long life and would be discontinued soon .... In fact, it was in production only for 2 years.
What were the negative comments you heard if you don't mind me asking...?

User avatar
Enactive
Member
Posts: 1393
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:19 pm
Location: Wet side of Washington

Re: A few questions about the Opus.

Postby Enactive » Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:53 am

Menipo wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:29 am
I had the Opus on my radar screen for a long time (I was looking for a "Native Chief with a liner lock") but never pulled the trigger. I read some negative comments and, in addition, it was hardly discounted by almost every Internet dealer. That made me suspicious and think that the Opus would not have a long life and would be discontinued soon .... In fact, it was in production only for 2 years.
For a (value) "Native Chief with a liner lock" see the Emphasis.

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C245G/1788

It is a bit shorter and heavier with budget steel, and made in China.

FWIW, I am very happy with my Chief.

User avatar
VooDooChild
Member
Posts: 1494
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:29 am

Re: A few questions about the Opus.

Postby VooDooChild » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:47 am

TheGiant80 wrote:
VooDooChild wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:19 am
...
Thanks for the reply! I can get a new Opus for $144 USD. Would you say that's a good deal all things considered? The only thing that's preventing me from pulling the trigger currently is the teflon washer situation..
120 or less would be a better price. Thats the problem with the opus, it was priced too high to begin with and because of that the discontinued prices are also too high. That price is almost the same as a new pm2, which is also a great knife.
sal wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 8:14 pm
... "The edge is a ghost"...

User avatar
Menipo
Member
Posts: 311
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:41 pm
Location: Madrid, Spain, Europe

Re: A few questions about the Opus.

Postby Menipo » Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:49 pm

Enactive wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:53 am
Menipo wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:29 am
I had the Opus on my radar screen for a long time (I was looking for a "Native Chief with a liner lock") but never pulled the trigger. I read some negative comments and, in addition, it was hardly discounted by almost every Internet dealer. That made me suspicious and think that the Opus would not have a long life and would be discontinued soon .... In fact, it was in production only for 2 years.
For a (value) "Native Chief with a liner lock" see the Emphasis.

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C245G/1788

It is a bit shorter and heavier with budget steel, and made in China.

FWIW, I am very happy with my Chief.

Thanks for the suggestion. The blade of the Emphasis is shorter and wider than that of the Chief. This results in a lower blade/handle ratio and I am not a fan of knives that I call "shrunken heads". What I like of the Chief is precisely its stylized blade.
Si vis pacem para bellum ;)

User avatar
nerdlock
Member
Posts: 785
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:43 am

Re: A few questions about the Opus.

Postby nerdlock » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:33 am

VooDooChild wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:47 am
TheGiant80 wrote:
VooDooChild wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:19 am
...
Thanks for the reply! I can get a new Opus for $144 USD. Would you say that's a good deal all things considered? The only thing that's preventing me from pulling the trigger currently is the teflon washer situation..
120 or less would be a better price. Thats the problem with the opus, it was priced too high to begin with and because of that the discontinued prices are also too high. That price is almost the same as a new pm2, which is also a great knife.


Opus now at $119.99 at Amazon, $.01 less than $120. :D

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0722 ... _560724010
VG10:S30V:S45VN:SPY27:LC200N:XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:M4:Rex-45:K390:Maxamet

User avatar
p_atrick
Member
Posts: 893
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:35 pm
Location: Boston Area

Re: A few questions about the Opus.

Postby p_atrick » Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:21 am

A lot of people say to avoid Amazon because of the counterfeits. The Opus was an unpopular model, so there aren’t any fakes, right?

User avatar
nerdlock
Member
Posts: 785
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:43 am

Re: A few questions about the Opus.

Postby nerdlock » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:45 am

p_atrick wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:21 am
A lot of people say to avoid Amazon because of the counterfeits. The Opus was an unpopular model, so there aren’t any fakes, right?

I got a Spyderco and a few of my Leathermans from this Amazon seller, photos4less. So far all have been legitimate units and the seller is also legitimate.

I had a delayed shipment from them due to an unforeseen closure of their offices for a few days, possibly due to covid. When I expressed my displeasure towards the unforeseen delay in shipping to their customer support, they were very apologetic, explained what happened, and gave me a coupon code for free overnight shipping at their expense the next time I order from them.

So I believe this Opus is legitimate based on my experiences with the Amazon seller.
VG10:S30V:S45VN:SPY27:LC200N:XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:M4:Rex-45:K390:Maxamet


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: aicolainen, bbturbodad, Brock O Lee, buckleys, Capt'n Boatsalot, DSeeger, Google [Bot], James Y, JD Spydo, Joshua J., Lumpy620, root, Spydergirl88, SpydieTerp, Tally-ho and 48 guests