Behind the curve with an Ikuchi

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ChrisinHove

Behind the curve with an Ikuchi

Post by ChrisinHove »

I was keen to try another Paul Alexander design, and the dust seems to have settled around the Ikuchi, now, so I thought I would give it a try.

Well it has just arrived, via Finland (!) retailer Lamnia, and so far I am impressed - and not just with the usual Taichung f&f, either.

To my mind, this really has the spirit of many traditional European blades like the Laguoile or Resolza, but with 21st century materials & engineering, and a beautifully spare design.

I can work the flipper wheel, too, even with my big hands!

It’s looking good....
curlyhairedboy

Re: Behind the curve with an Ikuchi

Post by curlyhairedboy »

The ikuchi is a great model!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Lucabrasi

Post by Lucabrasi »

I considered returning mine at first as it was near impossible to deploy, and the wheel was tearing up my finger trying. But, after a few dozen forced flips it really loosened up and is now a great action.

It’s one of my favorite knives, and one of my most carried. So light and thin, yet no flex to it at all. Totally confidence inspiring in use. It’s a great knife.
Current Spyderco: Native 5 LW s35vn; Delica zdp; Caly 3.5 zdp/CF; Chapparel FRN cts xhp; Southard 204p; Kapara s30v; Ikuchi s30v; Spydiechef lc200n, Waterway Lc200n; Manix 2 LW 20cv

Past Spyderco: Endura zdp; Manix 2 LW s110v; Paramilitary 2 s30v
odomandr

Post by odomandr »

I too had an ikuchi blister. It's smooth now though and a bit different than others in the rotation. I enjoy it more everytime I carry it. Same with some others that just became a bit better over time as they either broke in or have become familiar in my hand
"Yeah? Well, you know, thats like uh, your opinion, man" - Lebowski
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

I love the Ikuchi though like many of us here, the lighter-inspired deployment mechanism is so tight as to almost tear off the fingerprints on my index finger. :D
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

About two or three weeks ago a few retailers received a fresh batch of Ikuchi's. I decided to take the chance and placed an order. Very happy with this iteration as it's much better than the first that I bought. Excellent detent, flips wonderfully, drops shut, centered blade, and blade tip well recessed into handle when closed so as not to present a hazard. I also added custom CF scales that really elevates the Ikuchi. Full CF, contoured, eliminates the hole in the handle, and adds a feel of sturdiness. This is the way it was meant to be from the beginning. Loving the knife now. Here's a quick pic next to the original.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Mako109 wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:38 pm
About two or three weeks ago a few retailers received a fresh batch of Ikuchi's. I decided to take the chance and placed an order. Very happy with this iteration as it's much better than the first that I bought. Excellent detent, flips wonderfully, drops shut, centered blade, and blade tip well recessed into handle when closed so as not to present a hazard. I also added custom CF scales that really elevates the Ikuchi. Full CF, contoured, eliminates the hole in the handle, and adds a feel of sturdiness. This is the way it was meant to be from the beginning. Loving the knife now. Here's a quick pic next to the original.

Where did you get those contoured cf scales from?! That is the way the Ikuchi should have come factory!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Copycat ;)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Dazen wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:01 pm
Where did you get those contoured cf scales from?! That is the way the Ikuchi should have come factory!
Karbadize
archangel

Post by archangel »

Solid CF is a win, I agree. But crazy me would actually be missing the hole :eek: from an aesthetic perspective.

I hope there will be sprints with more rare steels. :rolleyes: I *love* my Ikuchi the way it is, but an "upgrade" is always welcome.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Mako109 wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:29 pm
Dazen wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:01 pm
Karbadize
Thanks, I will hit him up when he is taking orders again.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Wow! Those solid cf scales are just gorgeous!