Any blade play in the New Green Pac Salt?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cabfrank

Re: Any blade play in the New Green Pac Salt?

Post by cabfrank »

Good to hear that yours is solid. I hope most of them are. I really have come to expect it from Spyderco, even though I know some back locks can develop a little vertical play over time.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

cabfrank wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:18 am
Good to hear that yours is solid. I hope most of them are. I really have come to expect it from Spyderco, even though I know some back locks can develop a little vertical play over time.

I don´t want to be the "doomsayer" by any means, but I still wonder if this model will generally be more prone to develop side to side play, even when solid out of the box?! Only time will tell I guess..
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Yeah, we will find out. Is there any reason it might? If so, maybe CQI will figure it out.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

double post
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

cabfrank wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:35 am
Yeah, we will find out. Is there any reason it might? If so, maybe CQI will figure it out.
No, not directly!
It might very well be that some have blade play to a certain amount just from the beginning, some have not and both stay that way!
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

That's what I thought. All the Salts I've had have been consistently great.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

cabfrank wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:52 am
That's what I thought. All the Salts I've had have been consistently great.
yep, as said earlier, my Pac Salt 1 had no side to side play out of the box and still does not though put trough a lot of use and abuse! :)
bruce91748

Post by bruce91748 »

Isn't this a few tenths of an oz. lighter than the H1 version? If so, then maybe some more FRN was taken out and made the scales more fragile and have more flex? My Native5 LW Maxamet is at 2.5 oz w/ no liner, so how could a much longer blade and scales of the Pac Salt 2 LC200N weigh the same w/o giving us some structural integrity?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

bruce91748 wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:03 pm
Isn't this a few tenths of an oz. lighter than the H1 version? If so, then maybe some more FRN was taken out and made the scales more fragile and have more flex? My Native5 LW Maxamet is at 2.5 oz w/ no liner, so how could a much longer blade and scales of the Pac Salt 2 LC200N weigh the same w/o giving us some structural integrity?

Yes, from what I know the scales of the Pac Salt 2 are "sceletonized" at the inside (btw also of the H1 Pac Salt 2), while the Pac Salt 1 scales are "solid".
But this is also the case with the Salt 2 (and there are no such accounts of play) and just SOME of the new Pacifics seem to have that kind of play anyway.
So I don´t think that a generally weaker structural integrity plays a role, but rather that SOME of the scales are warped in a way that the gap in the pivot area between the two scales is too wide.

Btw.: In the ffg versions the blade will safe a bit weight too (vs the sabre hollow grind blade versions)
bruce91748

Post by bruce91748 »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:10 pm
Yes, from what I know the scales of the Pac Salt 2 are "sceletonized" at the inside (btw also of the H1 Pac Salt 2), while the Pac Salt 1 scales are "solid".
But this is also the case with the Salt 2 (and there are no such accounts of play) and just SOME of the new Pacifics seem to have that kind of play anyway.
So I don´t think that a generally weaker structural integrity plays a role, but rather that SOME of the scales are warped in a way that the gap in the pivot area between the two scales is too wide.

Btw.: In the ffg versions the blade will safe a bit weight too (vs the sabre hollow grind blade versions)
Then what is taken out on the Green Pacific Salt 2 LC200N to make it weigh the same as a much smaller Native 5 LW, also with skeletonized scales and FFG blades? Thinner FRN or too much skeletonization?
I found a PE today and put it in the shopping cart but last minute, I decided to hold off until for sure I can get one w/o blade play. I can't stand blade play, doesn't matter the direction of play.
araneae

Post by araneae »

bruce91748 wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:37 pm
Wartstein wrote:

Then what is taken out on the Green Pacific Salt 2 LC200N to make it weigh the same as a much smaller Native 5 LW, also with skeletonized scales and FFG blades? Thinner FRN or too much skeletonization?
I found a PE today and put it in the shopping cart but last minute, I decided to hold off until for sure I can get one w/o blade play. I can't stand blade play, doesn't matter the direction of play.
Pac salt lc200n = 2.6 oz
Pac salt h1 = 2.9 oz
Native salt = 2.4 oz

Native has thicker blade stock- 3.2 mm vs 2.9 mm. The lc200n pac salt weighs less than the h1 because more stock is removed in a FFG knife.

I'm sure they didn't change the handle for the lc200n, likely a production mishap that never should have escaped quality control. Blade stock at the tang is perhaps too thin? FRN batch was off a smidge? I'm sure they'll figure it out.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Still a heckuva knife in spite of the lock rock.
Last edited by skeeg11 on Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

bruce91748 wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:37 pm
Wartstein wrote:

Well, as others have said: The LC200n Pac Salt is "heavier" than the Native 5 LW anyway.
And then, the Native 5 LW is light (and light enough!), but not particularly light for a lightweight: If I go by the specs on the Spyderco site, it weighs 2.5 oz, while the similarly sized Delica despite having liners weighs only 2.3 - so I guess the slimmer, Delica-/Endura-ish shaped knives are just lighter when compared.
Look at the current H1 Salt 2: Essentially a Delica without liners, and weighs just 2.1 oz, and it has a hollow-sabre-grind. That could mean that an LC200N ffg version could come in perhaps at under 2.0.
bruce91748

Post by bruce91748 »

Hoping a LC200N Salt will show up in the '21 catalog.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

bruce91748 wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:27 pm
Hoping a LC200N Salt will show up in the '21 catalog.
While I personally prefer the larger Pacific, an LC200N ffg Salt would be cool (and certainly WILL happen sooner or later!) - for those who look for crazy light weight this could be Spydercos challenger for the BM Bugout... ;) (and imho the clearly better choice of the two, though the regular, linered Delica is already light enough for me in that size range)
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

I stated earlier on a different thread that my Pacific Salt (green FRN w/LC200N) had no blade play and it didn’t. However since then it has developed significant up and down play. I can only assume this is from opening and closing it a lot because I’ve only used it lightly.

I think I’m going to send it in to Spyderco when all the shipping craziness from Christmas dies down.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

My 2 examples seem perfect.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

I've had my two pair (SE and PE) for about a month. Overall i am happy with the build and lock on these. They arrived with some loose screws, as others have observed. I loctited and adjusted the pivots and so far so good. On the vertical blade play when locked, mine both have a little bit-- less than my V-Toku Stretch and more than my K390 Delica & Dragonfly and similar to my Hap40 Stretch.

So far mine have only seen a little use.
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

Mine had pretty bad side-to-side play that seems to be going away the more I use the knife. Perhaps the integral bearing surface of the FRN handles was too proud for the tang thickness?
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

spoonrobot wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:52 pm
Mine had pretty bad side-to-side play that seems to be going away the more I use the knife. Perhaps the integral bearing surface of the FRN handles was too proud for the tang thickness?
I was wondering if some examples with problems had molding flash or other residue interfering?