Spyderco Online Seconds Sale FAQ

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Nate

Re: Spyderco Online Seconds Sale FAQ

Post by Nate »

Bolster wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:39 pm
If someone has the time, can you explain to me what Kristi means about being swarmed by bots? How does that work? Do people write software to make automatic purchases of anything/everything that appears, or...? Is a bot sophisticated enough to understand: "if knife X appears for price Y, buy it automatically"? That would seem to take a tremendous amount of programming, no?
Here is an article about the trend:

https://www.pcmag.com/news/inside-the-p ... awking-hot

Takes a lot less effort and actual coding knowledge than you might imagine to set this stuff up, (I create process automation bots as my day job).
:spyder:
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

:mad:
Last edited by BLUETYPEII on Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

People complaining about the hours should see where I'm at, it was 2am in the morning when I got my orders in,after several sleepless hours waiting for the sale and refreshing for an hour more. It's not the end of the world. They're just factory seconds. Chill.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
hereiamu1

Post by hereiamu1 »

It took me almost 2 hours to where I enter payment info. I enter credit card info press enter ....................... wait for a long time for page to load and it tells me the Yojimbo 2 was out of stock, The others in my cart were still available but the Yojimbo was the one I really wanted. :(
I guess I will keep checking to see if more will be added.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Nate wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:53 pm
Bolster wrote:
If someone has the time, can you explain to me what Kristi means about being swarmed by bots? How does that work? Do people write software to make automatic purchases of anything/everything that appears, or...? Is a bot sophisticated enough to understand: "if knife X appears for price Y, buy it automatically"? That would seem to take a tremendous amount of programming, no?

Takes a lot less effort and actual coding knowledge than you might imagine to set this stuff up, (I create process automation bots as my day job).

I get the piece from the buyers side, but how would a website know that it is a bot and not just someone spamming their F5 key? So when Kristi is saying she is banning bots, how are they identified vs. a person refreshing like mad?
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:27 pm
Nate wrote:
Bolster wrote:

I get the piece from the buyers side, but how would a website know that it is a bot and not just someone spamming their F5 key? So when Kristi is saying she is banning bots, how are they identified vs. a person refreshing like mad?

Usually there is a set rhythm of timing, like sending an ICMP packet (ping). At least that's how we detect DOS (denial of service) attacks to our network. In theory that's what is happening here too. Too many bots sending out request packets all at once will overload a server thus denying access.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

So I’m giving up...I’ve had 4 items in my cart 3 times and I refresh to check out and one item is out of stock. I can’t keep refreshing fast enough to check out.
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Nate wrote:

Thanks tons, Nate. Much appreciated.

Sounds to me (from Kristi's post below) that Spyderco is doing their best to fight off the reseller bots and get the knives to actual users. They didn't have to do that, but they are putting in the effort to get the product to legitimate customers. Bless 'em.

"Thank you to everyone for your excitement about our first online Seconds Sale. When the sale started we were hit by a very high volume of bots, which we worked aggressively to ban and will continue to do so. Unfortunately this caused disruption to the availability of the website."
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

While I hit snag after snag, from 12PM to right now, I was able to to get two models I really wanted (Para 3, Native 5 LW) and a really cheap Byrd (stainless handle Robin 2) that I could not say no to.

A special thank you goes out to all the Spyderco crew. Living here in Southwest Virginia, travelling all the way to CO just isn't that feasible for me. I normally could not afford these models normally. I spent just a little less than what a Para 3 is new, but got three knives.
KnotTheory

Post by KnotTheory »

Heads up to anyone checking this, I got it to work a few minutes ago, it's slow but it seems the worst of the problem has passed.

I got a much desired P'kal (Can I just say how happy I am these are still around, I got my first one in 2011), an idea use case for a factory second if there ever was one and a PM3 I've been wanting to try since I like the PM2 so much. And a Tenacious to qualify for free shipping, likely this last will be a last minute gift for someone or I might stick it in a glovebox or something.

Too bad the Yojimbo 2s are gone for the moment but I got the two I really wanted. Will check it here and there for the next couple of days.
⟨ x , y ∣ x 2 = y 3
dolomite

Post by dolomite »

Sorry - I just have to give up.

3 HOURS!!! I had $216 worth of knifes in my cart and after 3 HOURS of having to refresh the page over & over again - I now have $0 worth of Spyderco product in my cart. What a disappointment.
RcTrue

Post by RcTrue »

In the end I think we all got a little something, I know it took me an hour to get my maxamet pm2, but it was worth it and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Lookin for that rex45 tomorrow. Thank you Spyderco
NYLife

Post by NYLife »

When is more being posted, amazing how site was down for most people and yet everything is sold out
Be stronger than your excuses
SG89

Post by SG89 »

More has been posted now... Police 4 g10, fish hunter, etc
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
vivi

Post by vivi »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:41 pm
Saw digicam para 2 and para 3's and a $16 6" se utility kitchen knife i wish i saw when i ordered the police!
:unicorn
KnifeFella

Post by KnifeFella »

Does anyone know if the additional knives to be posted will be additional models and if the ones marked out of stock are now gone as far as this sale is concerned? I had para 3 and native 5 in my basket but as I was refreshing at checkout they were gone.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Will continue to watch this. I saw a lot of things not changing (possibly more common or less sought after items) but that some things were added later. I'm not complaining by any means - the biggest concern I had was that only ebay flippers with specialized setups would get these, and I feel like while it was busy, anyone who paid attention and stuck to it had a good shot (perhaps less so on some of the rarer items, but I got several things without any issue other than having to be a bit patient, and I didn't have to put in any great effort).
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

vivi wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:55 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:41 pm
Saw digicam para 2 and para 3's and a $16 6" se utility kitchen knife i wish i saw when i ordered the police!
I'm guessing the police went pretty quickly. If you'd waited, it would have likely been snapped up. I know i wet for it when I saw it but it was actually sold out. This has been pretty interesting so far and I landed some great deals as well. Pretty happy about that.
Last edited by defenestrate on Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jefft51

Post by Jefft51 »

I went for the police, got to my cart and had to log in again for some reason. Got all the way to paying and was out of stock. It took about 5 minutes before it showed up on the sale page as out of stock.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Yeah, I tried for an hour to get one of the SPY27 Natives through checkout, and it was gone. This isn't much fun, my desire to participate is tanking. I just don't have the time. Oh well. :rolleyes: More money for motorcycles!
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."