SpyderSaw

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Christian Noble

SpyderSaw

Post by Christian Noble »

Saw the SpyderSaw in the 2003 catalog hosted by spydercollection.com (great resource, thank you).

Before seeing the SpyderSaw I had previously posted somewhere here a suggestion for just such a tool. Would be interesting to see how good H1 would do as a woodsaw considering it's performance in serrated. A "Salt" saw would also be appreciated in use around water (paddling) and blood (processing game). Perhaps 2003 wasn't good timing for the product that it got discontinued at some point, but considering the increased popularity of bushcraft and smaller saws such as the Opinel and those found on SAKs, perhaps it's time to reintroduce?

Saws are rather under appreciated in my opinion. I love a good axe and it's capability is unmatched in some areas, but comparing; a saw is lighter in weight, safer to use (particularly in low light or the dark), requires less experience to be proficient, and if it's something like the SpyderSaw, super easy to carry. That said, you'd likely be selling a lot more saws that axes these days.

Personally, I like a folding saw throw in a pack for hunting/hiking or my dry-bag when paddling. A small folding saw, to a extent, can also fulfill some roles in processing wood that a fixed blade knife would normally be best. In other words I may be more inclined to not carry a fixed blade in the woods if I had a folder and something like a SpyderSaw. Sometimes I do that with the Opinel, but it's oval handle is too large and edges not favorable for a pocket.

Anyway, throwing this out there as curious as to how much interest in something like this would be today as I tend to get overly interested from an outdoor perspective with cutting tools. Thanks, Chris
Bemo

Re: SpyderSaw

Post by Bemo »

Ooooh. I would definitely do one of these. Would be stiff competition for my Bahco.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

For some good discussion concerning the Spydersaw you might want to look at the poll on this I started like three month ago:

viewtopic.php?t=87504

As said there: I'd really like to see a new version of the Spydersaw, either singlebladed or as part of a double bladed Dyad.
Last edited by Wartstein on Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I would like one.
But the last time this came up the consensus was that for the money, there were better options. One issue was having replaceable blades.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Yeah, I'd like one for carrying in my Camelbak to to occasional trail work.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I'm with RustyIron. I'd love a decent saw to pack out with.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I own quite a few gardening tools. I have some Swiss made "FELCO" gardening tools. The Felco Saw I have looks very similar in pattern to the old Spydersaw. It makes me wonder where Spyderco might have got the saw blade to make the Spydersaw with. I got a hunch that it was either Felco, Corona or one of the other major garden tool companies.

I think it was about 2005 when the Spydersaw was discontinued. I haven't seen one for sale or trade in quite a long time.
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

I have the Spydersaw. It's nice for what it is, but I can't imagine it will meet the price point of cheaper pocket saws - and it doesn't perform as well as my Silky. I'd rather have my Silky saw, and if I wanted a pocket sized one - I'd buy a Silky in a smaller form factor - but honestly I don't carry a saw in my pocket.
--Jeremy
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

kerrcobra wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:04 am
I have the Spydersaw. It's nice for what it is, but I can't imagine it will meet the price point of cheaper pocket saws - and it doesn't perform as well as my Silky. I'd rather have my Silky saw, and if I wanted a pocket sized one - I'd buy a Silky in a smaller form factor - but honestly I don't carry a saw in my pocket.

Good points, but the Spydersaw for me fills a special role when it comes to weight and convenient carry, that no other pocket saw on the market I am aware of does.
I detailled this in a post in the poll about the Spydersaw I started once (viewtopic.php?t=87504#p1449325), let me just copy and paste some of it:

"The Spydersaw weighs only 3oz (so like a Manix 2 LW), but offers a 4.9" blade
The most comparable Silky Saw (Pocket boy 130) has twice the weight (6oz), while the blade is just a bit longer (5.1")
Also, while the Silky certainly will have better ergos in prolongued use due the rounded, more handfilling handle:
The Spydersaw should pack very slim due to ist flat handle scales, while being closed just a tad longer than lets say a Police 4

So: For the weight and probably size of a Silky Pocket boy one could bring a Spydersaw AND lets say a Pac Salt... and so the Spydersaw should be great whenever:
- Weight and pack size is a concern,
- One just heads out with almost no package for doing a bit of bushcraft and firemaking and perhaps wants to carry a folder and saw IN the pocket (and yes, the Spydersaw has a pocketclip!)
- One throws the saw just in an emergency outdoor kit (again, a saw is very helpfull for making clutches, splints, shelters!), perhaps together with something like a Pac Salt.
- And: A doublebladed folder in Spydersaw-size (saw and knifeblade) would still be lighter and more compact than a comparable Silky SINGLE bladed saw"
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

I am excited about a folding saw. I own one with a 6 inch blade and it is a very good tool. Recently it was duct taped to a 12 foot pole and used to prune trees.

I would buy a Spyderco folding saw. I would like one a little longer than 5inch and with good steel. I do not like replaceable blade anything. Replaceable means throw it in the garbage to me. I would like to own good, and sharpen able.
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

It was disco'd for a reason. I cannot see it returning and being competitive with what's out there already. The already mentioned Silkys rule the market, with many, many makers filling out the remainder. Even Opinel makes a #12 saw that only weighs 3.8 ounces. Lenox makes a folding saw that uses replaceable reciprocating saw blades that only weighs 4.8 ounces and costs ~$20.
My take is that I 'd rather see what new things Spyderco is planning rather than constantly returning to what they have already done and abandoned. Sure, some sprints make perfect sense in that there is enough demand built up to make it worth the run, while others might end up sitting for years.
Last edited by JRinFL on Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:03 am
kerrcobra wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:04 am

Good points, but the Spydersaw for me fills a special role when it comes to weight and convenient carry, that no other pocket saw on the market I am aware of does.
I detailled this in a post in the poll about the Spydersaw I started once (viewtopic.php?t=87504#p1449325), let me just copy and paste some of it:

The most comparable Silky Saw (Pocket boy 130) has twice the weight (6oz), while the blade is just a bit longer (5.1")
Also, while the Silky certainly will have better ergos in prolongued use due the rounded, more handfilling handle:
The Spydersaw should pack very slim due to ist flat handle scales, while being closed just a tad longer than lets say a Police 4

So: For the weight and probably size of a Silky Pocket boy one could bring a Spydersaw AND lets say a Pac Salt... and so the Spydersaw should be great whenever:
- One just heads out with almost no package for doing a bit of bushcraft and firemaking and perhaps wants to carry a folder and saw IN the pocket (and yes, the Spydersaw has a pocketclip!)
- One throws the saw just in an emergency outdoor kit (again, a saw is very helpfull for making clutches, splints, shelters!), perhaps together with something like a Pac Salt.
- And: A doublebladed folder in Spydersaw-size (saw and knifeblade) would still be lighter and more compact than a comparable Silky SINGLE bladed saw"
If weight and a thinner handle is the only thing you care about, then perhaps the SpyderSaw is for you. However, the Silky Pocket Boy 130 has a thinner blade, there are options for both large teeth, medium teeth, fine teeth and extra-fine teeth, the blades are replaceable and the Silky saws just down right cut better. That's just anecdotal from my personal experience (and many others you can look up online); however, for me, I've used both and I know which one cuts better and faster...so that's what I'd go with.

I own the SpyderSaw, and the pocket clip leaves much to be desired. Also, even the saw on my Vic Farmer cuts better than it.
--Jeremy
eRoc

Post by eRoc »

I can't think of any scenario where I'd grab this before heading out. There are much better tools for the listed scenarios above. If this was all you had sure, but I cringe thinking about having to sharpen this or use this for sawing for any length of time. Thin handles and saws are not a good combo if you are fond of your hands, even with gloves. In my experience, most people who carry small saws when we go backpacking or camping quickly abandon them. For car camping maybe, but then I usually take a bigger saw or small axe.

I have a silky and it gets limited use in the backyard.
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

As a few others have said I think this has been brought up before. And I'm all for spyderco making more and more of my cutting tools. H1 or Lc200n would both be good candidates, although I'd be interested to see something with really high chip resistance like Rex45 as well. Although I'm not sure seki has any experience with rex.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

This gets brought up somewhat regularly.

I don't see it as being a good idea. If you need a saw, there are saws, even smaller folding ones. Knife saws just don't cut it.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Robbob

Post by Robbob »

Something like this would be nice for handling smaller limbs (<1") when camping and hiking. Basically, it would be a SAK saw on steriods. I know a Silky is more ideal, but their thick handles make the awkward to carry when casually hiking (i.e. without a pack).
Christian Noble

Post by Christian Noble »

First off, sorry fellas that I didn't search for earlier threads as they are some good points in the one Wartstein started.
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:03 am

And I was thinking the same niche, something a touch smaller than the Opinel #12 of which it would compete directly. The other folders like Bahco and Silky are more of "I am packing it with me as I have intent to use for a significant crafting project or processing wood." The SpyderSaw is always there when I need it.
eRoc

Post by eRoc »

Robbob wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:49 pm
Something like this would be nice for handling smaller limbs (<1") when camping and hiking. Basically, it would be a SAK saw on steriods. I know a Silky is more ideal, but their thick handles make the awkward to carry when casually hiking (i.e. without a pack).
For less than 1" most people just use their hands to break the limbs. Anything larger deploy the ol' foot/hand combo. If 3+ inches you're probably not in a casual hiking scenario or need to find smaller wood. In an emergency situation my multi tool has a whistle which would probably be more useful than the included saw. Processing wood for even a small fire with a pocket saw is an interesting one-time experience.

I put pocket saws in the same category as pocket prybars. They're good to buy and then immediately post on a forum asking people what to use them for.
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

eRoc wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:06 pm
I put pocket saws in the same category as pocket prybars. They're good to buy and then immediately post on a forum asking people what to use them for.

:D :D :D
--Jeremy
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Nice, but why not add a saw to the newer, bigger Clipitools as an extra blade layer? Say, a "Clipitool Hiker" for example. In my opinion, folding saws need to be quite big. I have learned, as a rule of thumb, to halve the length of the blade to get the diameter of the largest branch one can cut effectively. The Stihl folding saw I carry in a pack when I'm in the woods is ten inches closed, pull-cut. And that was, roughly, $25 at a local Stihl dealer. Like a lot of Spyderco, it is also a product of Japan and pretty good quality. When we get into premium steels and such, that would probably end up being a $100 folding saw.

I do a lot of farm work, and use the saw on Swiss Army Knives and multitools quite a bit. I will admit, however, I would definitely buy a saw this size, with this weight. I have a small Coghlan's saw that is folding knife-size and pretty effective, but the blade is very flimsy and bends easily.