Why the hate of Zome?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Do you like Zome? (The pattern in general, irrespective of color)

Yes, I collect them all
3%
Yes, it makes me more interested in a given model
17%
Sometimes/indifferent
42%
No, it makes me less interested in a given model
21%
No, I will never buy anything Zome
17%

Total votes: 106

GarageBoy

Re: Why the hate of Zome?

Post by GarageBoy »

I like the green and earth tones zome, but the orange and red ones look like I accidentally dropped my knife in bright paint, and couldn't get it clean
kobold

Post by kobold »

I don't mind them, they are just not available in my area.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Ez556 wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:16 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:42 pm
Instead of splotches, why not make the pommel end solid colored and then fade out into the handle color towards the middle?
Another pattern that could look cool depending on the colors is a sort of tiger stripe. I do think different patterns could be cool, I am not sure how they would manage that inventory wise because I doubt people would want the pattern they recieve to be up to chance, there are enough people that weren't happy with the Raffir pattern they got with their Chaparrals. They would either need unique sku's or just do it on new models, like say an SRS13 sprint with a blood red faded to black. Or a HAP40 sprint with black and orange stripes.
Tiger stripes would get my money, too.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I think I would be more interested in the Zome models if they were more traditional. Look up Ai Zome or Ro Zome for examples.
The green and brown models I find acceptable, but most of the others look like experiments gone wrong.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

I believe I am "sometimes/indifferent" - however, I voted "I collect them all" as I believe I have purchased every zome Delica that has been available.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

I think it's a good idea for the collectors, but for me most of the color combinations and the lack of any inspired craftsmenship with the ink make them a no go.
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

My D'Fly is Zome; but really, I'm indifferent towards it. I prefer solid colors.
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

For me that's another colour alternative. Most of my Spydies have black handles, so when I bought my first Endura, I went for the Green Zome variant.

Actually, I like Zome much more than some of the colours used for the Delica, by way of example. I will add a Delica to my collection soon but I would never buy a brown or purple one (the handles of that colour seem to me made of cheap plastic).
Si vis pacem para bellum ;)
odomandr

Post by odomandr »

I wasn't aware of the dying process that goes into them thanks for sharing that. I can appreciate them more and the fact that spyderco is introducing that style and traditional method to a larger audience. Makes me more opened minded to trying something I was not intrigued by at all.
"Yeah? Well, you know, thats like uh, your opinion, man" - Lebowski
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

I am a fan, and hope to see it in the world of salts!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I find this subject interesting in kind of a strange way. Because I've showed off a couple of my Spyders with digital camo handles. And I was kind of put off that some of the guys put down the digital camo handles which are somewhat similar to the Zome handles. I remember when the digital camo handles first came out there was a lot of positive comments on them.

I tend to like the Digital Camo and the Zome handles both. It's really weird what people complain about at times.
wirelessjunkie

Post by wirelessjunkie »

Just got my first Zome Endura (Damascus with grey/black handle) and Im now a fan. I like what the blots do to the overall apperance of the handle.
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

clovisc wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:38 pm
I agree. Good to see you around too.
Reject

Post by Reject »

clovisc wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:38 pm
:) Interesting thought.

Would you have it an ocean wave pattern?
Blue and white or green and blue?

Camouflage is usually used to blend into the surroundings.
Salts are usually yellow to stand out if drop into the water.

So maybe a yellow and toxic green?
:) Or?
How much can a Koala bear?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and, to my eye, Zome is ugly AF. I'd buy a Stretch, or Stretch 2, in Zome for my Stretch collection, regardless of the color combination, but I'd never carry it.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

The Deacon wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:08 am
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and, to my eye, Zome is ugly AF. I'd buy a Stretch, or Stretch 2, in Zome for my Stretch collection, regardless of the color combination, but I'd never carry it.
I think you need to get off the fence, Paul, and say what you really think! :D
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:46 pm
I find this subject interesting in kind of a strange way. Because I've showed off a couple of my Spyders with digital camo handles. And I was kind of put off that some of the guys put down the digital camo handles which are somewhat similar to the Zome handles. I remember when the digital camo handles first came out there was a lot of positive comments on them.

I tend to like the Digital Camo and the Zome handles both. It's really weird what people complain about at times.
I'm all for variety in patterns and colors. More choice is better for the consumer.

However, as someone who loses crap all the time, I'd never buy a camo knife even if I liked the look because it would make it harder to find when I inevitably left it sitting on the ground while doing yard work or camp chores. I prefer bright colors for this reason. Bright blue and purple tend to stand out the best as they are rare in plant life. Oranges, reds and yellows work okay except in Autumn when they blend in with the leaves. Green, Brown and black disappear the moment you take your eyes off of them.
Frozenspyder

Post by Frozenspyder »

The zome patterns have started to grow on me. The only one I own is my yellow zome Delica. At first I just wanted it because S30V is great in that knife, but I've begun to appreciate the color. I do think a yellow/toxic green zome would work well in the salt series as long as people were willing to give it a chance
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:39 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:46 pm

I'm all for variety in patterns and colors. More choice is better for the consumer.

However, as someone who loses crap all the time, I'd never buy a camo knife even if I liked the look because it would make it harder to find when I inevitably left it sitting on the ground while doing yard work or camp chores. I prefer bright colors for this reason. Bright blue and purple tend to stand out the best as they are rare in plant life. Oranges, reds and yellows work okay except in Autumn when they blend in with the leaves. Green, Brown and black disappear the moment you take your eyes off of them.
just attach a bright orange lanyard while you're in the woods.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

I like Zome, I just don't like it when the blade is Hap40. My wife had the purple Zome Delica and it went missing when the car was serviced. Unfortunately she forgot it was in there.