Spyderco Dodo in LC200N

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
LeDodo

Spyderco Dodo in LC200N

Post by LeDodo »

Wouldn’t it be great is the dodo came out in a LC200N version?!
ladybug93

Re: Spyderco Dodo in LC200N

Post by ladybug93 »

yep.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Foundry81

Post by Foundry81 »

Yes
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

I think that steel choice is less than ideal, the blade is too difficult to reliably sharpen as often as LC200N would require. The Dodo would really function best, IMO, with very wear resistant steels like S60V, S90V, K390, or even Maxamet. Alternatively serrated H1 would be interesting.

Somewhat counter-intuitively, I did not find the PE or SE Dodos to be great cutters for line or rope. The radius and length of the concave blade portion is just too tight and short to work well for most sizes of rope and textures of line. The knife was the worst cutter compared to a Salt 2 and Tasman Salt.

Certainly, I would buy one, so take the above with a grain of salt ;)
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

spoonrobot wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:00 pm
I think that steel choice is less than ideal, the blade is too difficult to reliably sharpen as often as LC200N would require. The Dodo would really function best, IMO, with very wear resistant steels like S60V, S90V, K390, or even Maxamet. Alternatively serrated H1 would be interesting.

Somewhat counter-intuitively, I did not find the PE or SE Dodos to be great cutters for line or rope. The radius and length of the concave blade portion is just too tight and short to work well for most sizes of rope and textures of line. The knife was the worst cutter compared to a Salt 2 and Tasman Salt.

Certainly, I would buy one, so take the above with a grain of salt ;)
I agree, cutting thicker rope wouldn't be an ideal job for the Dodo. Imo, it really excels when a piercing cut is required first, followed by a longer cut. For example, opening clamshell packaging. Opening just about anything tricky, really. I also use mine a lot for cutting out tiny knots in weaving thread.

For my uses, lc200n isn't really necessary, but wouldn't be a bad thing, either. Certainly it'd require less maintenance than the m4 I've got now. As for sharpening, I think I might actually prefer an easy-to-sharpen steel like lc on an odd blade like this. Even if it needs to be touched up a bit more often, it'd be much easier to do.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

spoonrobot wrote:
I think that steel choice is less than ideal, the blade is too difficult to reliably sharpen as often as LC200N would require. The Dodo would really function best, IMO, with very wear resistant steels like S60V, S90V, K390, or even Maxamet
I don't have Dodo, but I think the exact opposite.
The kinky blade shape limits you to only use sharpmaker, and medium and fine ceramic is not really made for ultra high vanadium steels. Yes, there is diamonds rods, but still, you have to be very cautious when using it.
Some folks are happy to see serrated K390, let me tell you, you will spend and eternity sharpening a small chip out of it on sharpmaker. Same goes for Dodo in high vanadium steel.
LC is proven in SE, it can take this low angle edge.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I've been pretty happy with the response of the Dodo in M4, but as always, that steel takes more upkeep...
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Unless you are going to make the entire knife a salt, then I dont see the point of using lc200n over other stainless options.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Yes, lc200n everything.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I would take a Dodo LW Salt in LC200N or even better a Dodo-fly Salt in LC200N!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Danke

Post by Danke »

I have a Spidiechef in LC200N that is stupid easy to keep sharp. I also have a M4 Dodo that I can also keep sharp with more effort.

I'm pretty sure a Dodo in LC200N would be a nice package. More Dodo's for sure!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

LeDodo wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:33 am
Wouldn’t it be great is the dodo came out in a LC200N version?!
I would be the first in line if I could fight my way there. However there is one condition to my bubbling enthusiasm>> I would require it to be available in SE & PE both. I've wanted another SE Dodo even since I gave my other one up in a trade ( like an idiot :o ).

The serrated/Spyderedged Dodo was a little megabeast in SE. If we can do that I'll get on this bandwagon ASAP
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

OK answer me this>> I take it by the "non-response" of my last post on this thread that many of you don't want an SE Dodo. May I ask why please?? Because if you guys have never tried one of the original 2003 era SE Dodo models you are in for a pleasant surprise. It's probably my complete favorite short bladed SE Spyder ever.

With the serrated blades on a wide variety of models having a spike in popularity lately it only makes sense to have at least 25% of a Sprint Run Dodo in SE.
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

Dodo SE models seem to have less value on the secondary market. IIRC the most recent sprints and exclusives have all been PE only. The market may not be aware of the value of the SE variant. Many, perhaps, most of the interest in the Dodo is for collector value. I've had dozens of each variant through my hands and I've yet to see one that has had anything more than what appears to be a handful of uses. Sometimes I suspect I may be the only person to ever actually sharpen a PE model and reset the bevel, outside of the Golden factory :p

I'd prefer SE over PE myself, it's somewhat simpler to sharpen, but more time intensive.
JMM

Post by JMM »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:57 am
OK answer me this>> I take it by the "non-response" of my last post on this thread that many of you don't want an SE Dodo. May I ask why please?? Because if you guys have never tried one of the original 2003 era SE Dodo models you are in for a pleasant surprise. It's probably my complete favorite short bladed SE Spyder ever.

With the serrated blades on a wide variety of models having a spike in popularity lately it only makes sense to have at least 25% of a Sprint Run Dodo in SE.
I'd be all over a SE Dodo in pretty much any steel... I have the Blue G10 SE S30V Dodo and I love it even more than I thought I would when I bought it.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JMM wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:33 pm
JD Spydo wrote:

I'd be all over a SE Dodo in pretty much any steel... I have the Blue G10 SE S30V Dodo and I love it even more than I thought I would when I bought it.
Yeah I thought there were some fans of the older 2003 era SE Dodo. OK I also take it that there are a few of you who have your own wishes as to which blade steel they use. The one Brother wanted to see it in some of Crucibles Supersteels. I could be all over that selection myself. I've thought for a long time that S90V would be an ideal blade steel for the Dodo. And I've got a gut feeling that S90V could be a decent blade steel for SE.
But I would also be all for a Dodo with CTS-XHP because I do know for a fact that XHP is a good steel for PE & SE both. But we could iron that out if we get a green light. There are so many new Spyderco fans that have never got to see how great of a small bladed folder that the Dodo is. Eric Glesser really showed signs of genius with the Dodo design. The Dodo has been my favorite Eric Glesser design up till now.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Pancake wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:31 pm
spoonrobot wrote:
I think that steel choice is less than ideal, the blade is too difficult to reliably sharpen as often as LC200N would require. The Dodo would really function best, IMO, with very wear resistant steels like S60V, S90V, K390, or even Maxamet
The kinky blade shape limits you to only use sharpmaker, and medium and fine ceramic is not really made for ultra high vanadium steels. Yes, there is diamonds rods, but still, you have to be very cautious when using it.
Some folks are happy to see serrated K390, let me tell you, you will spend and eternity sharpening a small chip out of it on sharpmaker. Same goes for Dodo in high vanadium steel.
Have you seen the DMT wave? Seems like an interesting product for curved blades.
Attachments
dmt-sharpening-stones-wav-e-64_1000.jpg
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:59 pm
Pancake wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:31 pm
spoonrobot wrote:
Have you seen the DMT wave? Seems like an interesting product for curved blades.
Hey thanks for sharing that with us. In the past few years DMT has come up with some interesting sharpening gear. When I got my very first Dodo model back in 2003 I had some ceramic rods off of my original Spyderco GALLEY V sharpening kit. They are a "cat's eye" shaped stone and that is pretty much what I use to do most of my sharpening on my Dodo models.

But I'm open to trying out anything that can sharpen these "recurve" and "Reverse S" blades efficiently. I might just be getting one of these new DMT sharpeners. I've got a few Recurve and Reverse S blades and they can be a challenge to sharpen at times.
JMM

Post by JMM »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:49 pm
JMM wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:

Yeah I thought there were some fans of the older 2003 era SE Dodo. OK I also take it that there are a few of you who have your own wishes as to which blade steel they use. The one Brother wanted to see it in some of Crucibles Supersteels. I could be all over that selection myself. I've thought for a long time that S90V would be an ideal blade steel for the Dodo. And I've got a gut feeling that S90V could be a decent blade steel for SE.
But I would also be all for a Dodo with CTS-XHP because I do know for a fact that XHP is a good steel for PE & SE both. But we could iron that out if we get a green light. There are so many new Spyderco fans that have never got to see how great of a small bladed folder that the Dodo is. Eric Glesser really showed signs of genius with the Dodo design. The Dodo has been my favorite Eric Glesser design up till now.

[+1]

I am in complete agreement, S90V would be an awesome candidate for a Dodo, the beloved S90V/CF combo would be a hit IMO.

SE XHP seems like an awesome proposition based on my PE XHP usage & sharpening, and what I've read about SE XHP blades from other makers it makes long for a SE Chaparral. It's pretty safe to say that no matter what model was used, if/when an SE XHP Spydie is made that I'll be in line for one...

:D
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JMM wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:13 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:49 pm
JMM wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:

[+1]

I am in complete agreement, S90V would be an awesome candidate for a Dodo, the beloved S90V/CF combo would be a hit IMO.

SE XHP seems like an awesome proposition based on my PE XHP usage & sharpening, and what I've read about SE XHP blades from other makers it makes long for a SE Chaparral. It's pretty safe to say that no matter what model was used, if/when an SE XHP Spydie is made that I'll be in line for one...

:D
I've got a good buddy from BF that I talk to quite a bit over the years and he recently got two of Cold Steel models with full SE blades with XHP and he said it's even better than Spyderco's 440V full SE blades that I've raved over for quite some time. I've not yet seen any Spyderco models in full SE with XHP yet but I do hope that happens at some point. I really love my full C-36 Military model with XHP>> I keep my user XHP Millie as a back up to my M390 if anything were to happen to it (GOD FORBID!!)
But there are properties of XHP that I really like and I really would love to see a Dodo with XHP in PE & SE both.