Spyderco Throwing Knives?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Airlsee

Spyderco Throwing Knives?

Post by Airlsee »

Has anyone tried out the Spyderco throwing knives? If so, what size have you tried? Small, Medium or Large? I don't own a set of throwing knives and know nothing about it really, but I'm tempted to pick up a set just for fun.

Any experience would be welcome.

Thanks
So it goes.
Mushroom

Re: Spyderco Throwing Knives?

Post by Mushroom »

I got some of the large size throwing knives soon after they were released. I enjoyed throwing them for a while but eventually had one of them break while I was throwing them. I heard there were heat treat issues with the first batch, so I'm guessing that was the problem. I would be confident buying more now.

Other than the few hours I spent throwing the Large Spyderthrowers, I had little to no experience throwing knives. I would still like to try the small and medium size throwers.

I've also thrown the Hatchethawk a bunch and it has held up well. That's a fun one to throw.
-Nick :bug-red
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Thanks for the info! I feel like I'm leaning towards the small set, but I honestly wonder if they have actually done multiple runs of them. I don't really hear about them at all, I know that it's been 5 years or so, but I wonder how many first runs are sitting on shelves.
So it goes.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I am not an expert on knife throwing (but Michael Janich is, perhaps he´ll chime in...), but still enjoy it a lot.

I personally almost exclusively use the "no spin'" method (in fact, the knife is still spinning a bit, but so little that the tip is always to the front) - once you get the trick, imho it is easier than the "spinning method",if you don´t always throw at a fixed and measured distance (but on random distances) since you do not have to estimate the distance you throw at as accurately.

Now I have to say: I actually never owned dedicated throwing knives, but always throw just "normal" knives - including an Endura for a short period of time and my current "thrower" is an Esee Laser Strike....(both NOT made and meant for that!) :rolleyes:

I´ll certainly get Spyder Throwers eventually, and for the way I throw knives I really enjoy heavier and bigger ones, and so I´d go with size large I guess.
That is for outdoor use and throwing on rotten trees and the like. If you throw indoors, at shorter distances or don´t want to have too much impact force a smaller size would be better perhaps. Also to consider: The smaller ones might be more convenient to carry, if you bring them on a hike or want to conceil them.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Mushroom wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:54 pm
..... (snip)

I've also thrown the Hatchethawk a bunch and it has held up well. That's a fun one to throw.

Hatchet throwing IS fun indeed, and differently to knife throwing of course there is no "no spin"-way of doing so and so one has to learn how to estimate distances correctly.

What I like throwing hatchets to have though: A spike instead of a hammer on the opposite side of the blade. So one has more points that can stick to a target, and the spike in many cases will penetrate better than the actual blade.

Additionally, in my use I find a spike more usefull than a hammer: I can still hammer in stuff with the side of the axe head (though not as convenient), and a spike helps in many tasks: Be it breaking up material, smashing in things, hammer it in a log in order to drag it and so on...

(Sorry for going of topic)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I bought the large set. I broke a sliding glass door. I put them away.

It does say in the very well done instruction book with them to make sure theres nothing around you can break. Oh well.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

VooDooChild wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:27 am
I bought the large set. I broke a sliding glass door. I put them away.

It does say in the very well done instruction book with them to make sure theres nothing around you can break. Oh well.

Who would have guessed... ;)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

About 10 years ago I got a set of Cold Steel's throwing knives and I was getting fairly good at it and then a bad time in life got me distracted. I still have them in my storage unit somewhere but it's been quite a while since I've played with them.

I'm not sure that would be something that Spyderco could profit on. They just don't seem to be that type of company to take on a novelty item like that. Whereas with the Cold Steel knife company that is right up their alley with all the specialty products they have made over the years.

If Spyderco did want to venture into that area of the market I would recommend to them to do a collaboration with Bobby Branton. I met him at one of the Blade Shows and he proved to me that he knew a lot about throwing knives. But I'm doubtful that Spyderco would embrace an item like that.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:11 am
About 10 years ago I got a set of Cold Steel's throwing knives and I was getting fairly good at it and then a bad time in life got me distracted. I still have them in my storage unit somewhere but it's been quite a while since I've played with them.

I'm not sure that would be something that Spyderco could profit on. They just don't seem to be that type of company to take on a novelty item like that. Whereas with the Cold Steel knife company that is right up their alley with all the specialty products they have made over the years.

If Spyderco did want to venture into that area of the market I would recommend to them to do a collaboration with Bobby Branton. I met him at one of the Blade Shows and he proved to me that he knew a lot about throwing knives. But I'm doubtful that Spyderco would embrace an item like that.
In 2018, Spyderco released 3 sizes of throwing knife that are still in production today.

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/TK01SM/1130
https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/TK01MD/1131
https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/TK01LG/1132
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:11 am
Cold Steel is hard to beat when it comes to throwing knives IMO. My brother bought one of these years ago and it has been thrown countless thousands of times. They're large and heavy, which makes for easier throwing, and made out of tough springy 1055 carbon steel, making them virtually indestructible.
80tsb_1.jpg
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Spyderco's throwing knives--SpyderThrowers--are production knives based on the Viper throwing knife designed by Canadian custom knifemaker Harald Moeller. Moeller made and sold his Viper knives for many years and was a regular attendee at the Oregon Custom Knife Show, where he met Sal. Sal has been an avid knife thrower all his life and picked up some of Moeller's Vipers for his collection. Sal was so impressed with them that whenever a customer would ask him about the possibility of Spyderco throwing knives, he'd simply walk them over to Moeller's table.

Ultimately, it became clear that the demand for Moeller's throwers was far greater than his ability to produce them as a custom maker, and a Spyderco collaboration was born.

If you're new to knife throwing, I would recommend the large or at least the medium set. The reason is that their greater heft allows you to feel the mechanics of the throw better. It's also easier to see how they're hitting the target so you can make corrections. One tip that helps is to add a wrap of yellow or other brightly colored tape to the end of the handle so you can see if you're hitting handle up or down.

I've been throwing knives for over 40 years. Curiously, while shooting some photos for the book that accompanies the SpyderThrowers (Harald Moeller wrote the original book; I revised it for Spyderco) my wife--for the first time ever--expressed an interest in learning how to throw. I taught her to throw with the large SpyderThrowers. After she got the hang of it, I broke out some of the other throwers in my collection, including Tru-Bals, Hoffritz, Pearce Arrow customs, Gil Hibbens, and Cold Steel. She tried them all, and then quickly went back to the SpyderThrowers.

One of the most amazing things about the different sizes of SpyderThrowers is that they all throw equally well from the same distance. I've never experienced that with other throwers.

Yes, the first production run of SpyderThrowers was inconsistently heat treated. When I was testing some of those, I experienced two blade breaks. Spyderco immediately withdrew them from the market and had a completely new run made before reintroducing them. I have had no problems with any current production knives. As always, if one of our products fails due to a flaw in materials or workmanship, we'll stand behind it.

If you're curious about SpyderThrowers, here's a video we produced on them:

https://youtu.be/iJyMgNgVZSY

Stay safe,

Mike
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I want a set but they are illegal, here, because of the double edge (even if dull).
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Michael Janich wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:12 am
Spyderco's throwing knives--SpyderThrowers--are production knives based on the Viper throwing knife designed by Canadian custom knifemaker Harald Moeller. Moeller made and sold his Viper knives for many years and was a regular attendee at the Oregon Custom Knife Show, where he met Sal. Sal has been an avid knife thrower all his life and picked up some of Moeller's Vipers for his collection. Sal was so impressed with them that whenever a customer would ask him about the possibility of Spyderco throwing knives, he'd simply walk them over to Moeller's table.

Ultimately, it became clear that the demand for Moeller's throwers was far greater than his ability to produce them as a custom maker, and a Spyderco collaboration was born.

If you're new to knife throwing, I would recommend the large or at least the medium set. The reason is that their greater heft allows you to feel the mechanics of the throw better. It's also easier to see how they're hitting the target so you can make corrections. One tip that helps is to add a wrap of yellow or other brightly colored tape to the end of the handle so you can see if you're hitting handle up or down.

I've been throwing knives for over 40 years. Curiously, while shooting some photos for the book that accompanies the SpyderThrowers (Harald Moeller wrote the original book; I revised it for Spyderco) my wife--for the first time ever--expressed an interest in learning how to throw. I taught her to throw with the large SpyderThrowers. After she got the hang of it, I broke out some of the other throwers in my collection, including Tru-Bals, Hoffritz, Pearce Arrow customs, Gil Hibbens, and Cold Steel. She tried them all, and then quickly went back to the SpyderThrowers.

One of the most amazing things about the different sizes of SpyderThrowers is that they all throw equally well from the same distance. I've never experienced that with other throwers.

Yes, the first production run of SpyderThrowers was inconsistently heat treated. When I was testing some of those, I experienced two blade breaks. Spyderco immediately withdrew them from the market and had a completely new run made before reintroducing them. I have had no problems with any current production knives. As always, if one of our products fails due to a flaw in materials or workmanship, we'll stand behind it.

If you're curious about SpyderThrowers, here's a video we produced on them:

https://youtu.be/iJyMgNgVZSY

Stay safe,

Mike

Thanks for all the info Mike, I'm definitely going to have to pick up a set now!
So it goes.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Is there any way to know if you have a first batch or not?

Is there a certain date code that after that date should be fine?
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

Nice thread. Good info. I have a set of Gil Hibben large throwers, Cold Steel Templar, United Cutlery Ronin, an Eastwing Campers axe, and a 5lb wrench that throws like a bomb.

I have moved around some in the last 5 years, but I try to have a small stand set up in the yard to throw at. The trick for me, is having things ready so I can set my boys to play and then throw for 5 or 10 minutes. Throwing is my brief interlude between other things that helps me to focus then transition to other activities. Also, I find the more time I spend the worse I get. I tend to warm up, throw until I stick 3 in a row, and then go do something else.

Throwing tomahawks is much fun too. Especially the Templar that is pointy all the way around.

To the OP question, as others have answered with more experience, I would concur large and heavy is easier to start with. Also, I tend to no spin throwing, mostly because I can stick more with that technique.
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
mb1

Post by mb1 »

After my first session was cut short, I was curious if anyone else was having issues with these.

Medium thrower snapped on me after a half dozen throws or so.

Edit: the date code on my box is DR, which I believe is 2018. I must have some of the first run.

Last edited by mb1 on Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

mb1 wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:58 pm
After my first session was cut short, I was curious if anyone else was having issues with these.

Yep, I had one of my large Spyderthrowrs snap nearly the same way. I got more life out of it than half a dozen throws but it was definitely less than 100 throws before mine broke.

Mine were from an early batch though and I’ve read that there were problems with the heat treat early on. I attributed the break to that but have never had confirmation that is what caused it.

I procrastinated a while, over two years, before sending it into warranty and repair last year and the one I got back was noticeably different. The new one has slightly thinner bladestock, the chamfers on the edges are larger and more pronounced, the holes in the handle are a tiny bit smaller, the blade grinds are a littler bit wider and have a different shape, the tip is more acute, and the overall shape is ever so slightly different.

Yours look exactly like the first examples I received. Here is a comparison shot between the two originals I got and the one that Spyderco replaced. The replacement knife is in the center.

mb1

Post by mb1 »

Mushroom wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:34 pm
mb1 wrote:

Yep, I had one of my large Spyderthrowrs snap nearly the same way. I got more life out of it than half a dozen throws but it was definitely less than 100 throws before mine broke.

Mine were from an early batch though and I’ve read that there were problems with the heat treat early on. I attributed the break to that but have never had confirmation that is what caused it.

I procrastinated a while, over two years, before sending it into warranty and repair last year and the one I got back was noticeably different. The new one has slightly thinner bladestock, the chamfers on the edges are larger and more pronounced, the holes in the handle are a tiny bit smaller, the blade grinds are a littler bit wider and have a different shape, the tip is more acute, and the overall shape is ever so slightly different.

Yours look exactly like the first examples I received. Here is a comparison shot between the two originals I got and the one that Spyderco replaced. The replacement knife is in the center.

Thanks for sharing Nick. I was debating sending the whole set in vs just the one, since the heat treat issue was noted above. Looks like mine are from 2018. Hmm.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

mb1 wrote:

Edit: the date code on my box is DR, which I believe is 2018. I must have some of the first run.

Sorry for you to hear that! :worried

But i am sure Spyderco has sorted out that potential problem in later batches - throwing knives really should not break that easily or not at all!

I never had the Spyder Throwers myself, cause they look to be not ideally suited for my preferred techniques no spin and instinctive half spin (but must be perfect for traditional spin throwing!!).

But some of my throwers have literally thousands of throws "under their belts" - and most times not on a "nice" dedicated target, but on all kinds of harder and softer woods, with full force, missing and hitting rocks or the like, bouncing off and flying over cliffs and so so. No problem whatsoever. On one model I occasional file the tip a bit to make it pointier again, on the other even that was never necessary so far.

M favorites (Sharp Blades Arrows and Sharp Blades Top Dog) are made of "54SiCr6 spring steel (CSN 14260)".

Below a pic of there thickness (Endela for comparison) - 8 mm resp. 6 mm

But even the Esee Laser Strike (1095 steel) I started throwing with and that had to take a lot, still never took real damage.

Below are links to two vids that illustrate what throwing knives can take (a bit hard to watch perhaps due to the "overexited" presentation... ;) )
! Though, like it is with folders: I actually DON´T think that every throwing knife has to be that sturdy, but rather perfectl for the scenario one plans to use it for! And so if one is not planning hitting bricks, destroying frozen coconuts and or piercing chain mail but just have fun with softer wooden targets, a slimmer, but less sturdy thrower might be the better choice anyway.
Like a Watu is great as an EDC, but not so much for batoning wood... ;)

https://youtu.be/pQHAfqMogO0

https://youtu.be/0iXOfLND_AQ

Last edited by Wartstein on Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

mb1 wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:38 pm
Mushroom wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:34 pm
mb1 wrote:

Thanks for sharing Nick. I was debating sending the whole set in vs just the one, since the heat treat issue was noted above. Looks like mine are from 2018. Hmm.
No problem. I had considered doing that same thing with all three knives but I asked W&R and they told me to just send the one that broke. I just assumed I would have to send the other two in if they ever break.