Which knife for my wife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
austrian_spyder_fan

Which knife for my wife?

Post by austrian_spyder_fan »

Hi Everbody,

i ned your help and opinions.
My wife loves everything which is green (neon green, Kawasaki green whould be the best explanation).
So she is very tolerant whith my Spyderco collection and my other hobbies.

I want to give her a knife whith Cuscadi toxic green G10 scales.

But which model?
It should be a smaller one for her handbag.

Thank you for your posts.
Markus
JuPaul

Re: Which knife for my wife?

Post by JuPaul »

Does she have any knives already that she likes? Do you know if she likes a certain kind of lock or blade shape? Can Cuscadi make them for any model?

A Delica or Dragonfly are great sizes for carrying in a purse. But something like a Rhino, an Astute, or a Lil Native could be great, too.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
austrian_spyder_fan

JuPaul wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:33 pm
Does she have any knives already that she likes? Do you know if she likes a certain kind of lock or blade shape? Can Cuscadi make them for any model?

A Delica or Dragonfly are great sizes for carrying in a purse. But something like a Rhino, an Astute, or a Lil Native could be great, too.
Thank you Julia for your questions!
She has a Leatherman Squirt always in her bag, she uses also my knives if necessary.
I think something not to "agressive" leaf shaped whould be nice.

Dragonfly or Lil Native is an my list.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Hi Markus,

you know my favorite small knife is the Chaparral. But I am not sure if you wife would like the ergos - Julias (who posted above) womens hands did not really as far as I can recall.
But then: I know you have a Chap (the sun and moon) yourself, so she could try this one! :)

Another good choice (especially if your wife prefers a comp. lock) and imho very elegant knife (actually shaped like a larger Chaparral) would be the Sage 5 LW.
Differently to Para 3 LW or DFly, this one has liners, so it will be much easier to get custom scales for it.

Anyway: Hope you´ll let us know what you get her! :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

austrian_spyder_fan wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:50 pm
JuPaul wrote:
She has a Leatherman Squirt always in her bag, she uses also my knives if necessary.

Dragonfly or Lil Native
is an my list.
Both linerless, as far as I know.. don´t know if Cuscadi can/will make custom scales for linerless knives... ?!
(Though I had a Millie with Cuscadi custom wood scales, and the Millie is at least partly linerless).

/ Leaf shaped? So my previous suggestion of the Sage 5 LW might be not too far off...
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Added to my post above:

Well, they have at least one custom scale DFly on their page: https://cuscadi.de/?s=dragonfly (EDIT: Though this one may be based on the KC exclusive Mahagoni variant, which actually HAS liners)
But no Lil Native..
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

The dragonfly is available in g10 and I believe that variant has liners. Would be cheaper than springing for the pakkawood version but you'd be getting vg10 rather than hap40.

Alternately a lc200n Atlantic or pacific salt would already be bright green. No aftermarket scale needed.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Mine loves her Natives, she has the pink one and the teal S90V Native 5. She also carries the pink Ladybug on her keys and uses the crap out of it. The problem is to do custom scales you really need to get a version that has steel liners unless someone is making G10 scales for the linerless G10 Native 5.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:57 pm
Hi Everbody,

i ned your help and opinions.
My wife loves everything which is green (neon green, Kawasaki green whould be the best explanation).
So she is very tolerant whith my Spyderco collection and my other hobbies.

I want to give her a knife whith Cuscadi toxic green G10 scales.

But which model?
It should be a smaller one for her handbag.

Thank you for your posts.
Markus
I know this will be a bit off in left field. But, I bought a Watu and owned it for all of two minutes. My wife saw it and immediately stuck out her arm, in a demanding manner.

It has lived her purse ever since.
(I'd tried many times before to give her a knife, unsuccessfully.)
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:03 pm
JuPaul wrote:

Dragonfly or Lil Native
is an my list.
Both linerless, as far as I know.. don´t know if Cuscadi can/will make custom scales for linerless knives... ?!
(Though I had a Millie with Cuscadi custom wood scales, and the Millie is at least partly linerless).

/ Leaf shaped? So my previous suggestion of the Sage 5 LW might be not too far off...
The comp lock lil native has liners. I've got aftermarket scales for mine. And I've seen aftermarket Putman g10 scales for Dragonflies as well (including toxic green ones), but have never tried them. They might only work on the g10 dragonfly, idk.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

JuPaul wrote:

Dragonfly or Lil Native is an my list.
My wife loves her Dragonflies (plural). One day, I would expect by the next Reveal, we will have a bright green Dragonfly Salt.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

My girlfriend loves the Para3, I let her try everything I had in my collection, and she chose the Para3 because it closed so effortlessly and she never had to put her fingers in the way of the blade. I tried steering her towards the Native5 but her mind was made up by the compression lock.
So it goes.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JuPaul wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:32 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:03 pm
JuPaul wrote:

The comp lock lil native has liners. I've got aftermarket scales for mine. And I've seen aftermarket Putman g10 scales for Dragonflies as well (including toxic green ones), but have never tried them. They might only work on the g10 dragonfly, idk.
Thanks, Julia for correcting me: Honestly did not know that the comp.lock Lil Native has liners, but should have guessed so, since it was kind of an innovation when the Para 3 LW rather recently came out as the first linerless comp. lock knife.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

I let my wife use my HAP40 Dragonfly and she won't give it back.
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
qwkzotc

Post by qwkzotc »

I also prefer green. I wonder if the first answer to your question would come from Cuscadi? I ask because generally scale makers specialize on certain knives, usually because they have built designs into CNC type of machines. The second question would be about your local laws, import possibilities and EU availability. The only scales I see in Toxic Green from Cuscadi are for Spyderco PM2, Manix, UK Pen & Squeak. They seem to have the Anzio grooved pattern which many other scale makers also have and a dimpled version for G10, Spyderco Custom, g10, glow in the dark, Manix, Para Military 2, scales, Spyderco, toxic green Permalink. Some Glow in the Dark scales are a basic Green, but most are a ivory color in plain light.

So, if you are set on Cuscadi toxic green G10 scales then it depends on what they can provide scales for. Based on their catalog and not being sure about laws in your country I would think a UK Pen and/or Squeak. Both are great small knives that seem to meet many EU requirements.

But first be sure Cuscadi makes the scale for the model you select. My choice would be a UKPK in S110V.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

USN Exclusive Toxic Green LadyBug H-1 Hawkbill Blade from 2015.

• I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
austrian_spyder_fan

qwkzotc wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:49 am
I also prefer green. I wonder if the first answer to your question would come from Cuscadi? I ask because generally scale makers specialize on certain knives, usually because they have built designs into CNC type of machines. The second question would be about your local laws, import possibilities and EU availability. The only scales I see in Toxic Green from Cuscadi are for Spyderco PM2, Manix, UK Pen & Squeak. They seem to have the Anzio grooved pattern which many other scale makers also have and a dimpled version for G10, Spyderco Custom, g10, glow in the dark, Manix, Para Military 2, scales, Spyderco, toxic green Permalink. Some Glow in the Dark scales are a basic Green, but most are a ivory color in plain light.

So, if you are set on Cuscadi toxic green G10 scales then it depends on what they can provide scales for. Based on their catalog and not being sure about laws in your country I would think a UK Pen and/or Squeak. Both are great small knives that seem to meet many EU requirements.

But first be sure Cuscadi makes the scale for the model you select. My choice would be a UKPK in S110V.
Thank you for your inputs.
Austrian Law is very unique in Europe, you can theoretically carry everything: fix blade, balisong, automatic.

Why Cuscadi? They are from Germany thats very near to Austria and communcation in native language is also plus point.

I thought I could remember they wrote about a G10 dragonfly by the way.

But I'm not in a hurry, so everything could happen.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

I hope the Salt 2 and Dragonfly Salt come in LC200N's green soon.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

This is probably a question for Spydergirl88>> that is if you can get her off the NFL football thread long enough :D

Oh you most certainly want a lady to have a very conservative and modest model like a full SE Spyderhawk. Or a nice fixed blade like a TEMP 2 :eek: .

But seriously I probably would go for one of the Delica models and hopefully with one of the better blade steels. Or if you can find an old Meerkat that would be a great pick too. I had a lady friend I gave a Meerkat to as a present and she really loved it.

A pink NATIVE model would be ideal if money is not a limiting barrier. I've got a lady friend right now and that's what I'm going to try to find for her this Christmas. And I would go the full SE version Pink colored NATIVE because you know the girls are really going to ding a blade up quite often and it would save you a lot of sharpening :D

Hey let us know what you decide on. I'm really interested to know what your final decision is?
odomandr

Post by odomandr »

In August I took my wife to the sfo. We spent about an hour there with just her looking and she held 3 dozen knives at least. The employee went model by model explaining the uniqui feature of one vs the other. In the end the delica was what she chose. Then she chose a color. If you are close enough to put multiple model in her hand I'd suggest that. If not, the delica would have been what I chose anyway so maybe you will have the same outcome
"Yeah? Well, you know, thats like uh, your opinion, man" - Lebowski