First SE Spy27 model will be....?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Re: First SE Spy27 model will be....?

Post by JD Spydo »

zuludelta wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:44 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:37 pm
Has anyone yet tested "Spy27" extensively to see how it holds up with serrated blades? Looking at it on paper I would guess it's probably all right. But actually testing it with hard cutting jobs tells the whole story usually.
It should perform similarly to serrated S35VN if the chemistry is anything to go by. I've had good experiences with Spyderco's serrated S35VN in a warehouse setting, having used a combo edge Native 5 Lightweight (before the switch to S30V) for a couple of years as my main work knife. Holds a working edge for a really long time (I used the serrated portion primarily for cutting heavy-duty synthetic rope & cordage, really tough, abrasive stuff that can wreak havoc on a blade). Although to be honest, I can't really tell the difference in practical performance between Spyderco's serrated S30V and serrated S35VN.
That sounds like a close comparison. I've sure had great luck with all of Spyderco's serrated blades that had Crucible's 440V ( S60V). It is most interesting to compare different blade steels for serrated edge performance. I've been fooled both ways with SE blades in the past.

As mediocre as AUS-8 blade steel is for everyday uses I became amazed at how well it performs in SE. It's interesting to see what properties in steel do well with serrated edges.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

What's SPY27 available in right now? Just the native and p3lw, right?
TenGrainBread

Post by TenGrainBread »

GarageBoy wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:37 pm
What's SPY27 available in right now? Just the native and p3lw, right?
Yeah, and pending on the Manix LW and Colorado PM2.